Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Any problems with ruger p95 or s&w Sd (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/any-problems-ruger-p95-s-w-sd-94560/)

rem870forever 07-28-2013 09:46 AM

Any problems with ruger p95 or s&w Sd
 
Which would you guys recommend as an all the time pistol. If u guys have one of the two give your thoughts and stories please.

mahall 07-28-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rem870forever
Which would you guys recommend as an all the time pistol. If u guys have one of the two give your thoughts and stories please.

I own the p95!! Great shooter!! Heavy and bulky makes the recoil next to nothing!! The gun hardly moves when fired!! Also very reasonably priced, I've seen them for as low as 320 new!! However, I found it is a bit to big and bulky to carry comfortably!! I suppose the right holster and the right clothes you could make it work!! I chose to carry something a bit smaller with the same capacity and smoothness to shoot(glock19) but p95 is a great gun to have around!! Just not to friendly carry for me!! The Smith u mentioned, I know nothing about!

danf_fl 07-28-2013 10:23 AM

Polymer frame vs metal.
Not knowing what you plan to do with it.
Self defense, home defense, target, plinking, hunting?
Are you looking at 9mm for both? How available is ammo in your area?
Are those your only choices?

Please provide more info.

Kodeman 07-28-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahall (Post 1317902)
I own the p95!! Great shooter!! Heavy and bulky makes the recoil next to nothing!! The gun hardly moves when fired!! Also very reasonably priced, I've seen them for as low as 320 new!! However, I found it is a bit to big and bulky to carry comfortably!! I suppose the right holster and the right clothes you could make it work!! I chose to carry something a bit smaller with the same capacity and smoothness to shoot(glock19) but p95 is a great gun to have around!! Just not to friendly carry for me!! The Smith u mentioned, I know nothing about!

I also own the p95(bought new in 96) and the G19 and agree with your comment on the Rugers weight. I will say that in all these years at the range the p95 has produced flawlessly.

mahall 07-28-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodeman

I also own the p95(bought new in 96) and the G19 and agree with your comment on the Rugers weight. I will say that in all these years at the range the p95 has produced flawlessly.

Yes that 95 is a tank!! The difference in the size of glock and the Ruger is just enough to make the glock much more "carry friendly" plus the weight difference!! I don't own many guns but I like to carry the ones I own!! I love guns, but don't have the money to collect guns for the sake of collecting dust in a safe!! Guns is a tool for me for protection to make my word a little more comfortable!! So I will probably be getting rid of my 95 soon, I have my eyes on the new SR45, great looking little subcompact 45, one of the smallest I've seen in 45.caliber! Been reading some great reviews on this gun!

rem870forever 07-29-2013 03:10 AM

Nothing about the s&w Sd.anybody?

DrFootball 07-29-2013 05:05 AM

I'm going to be joining (already signed up) a State Wide Volunteer LE organization(my wife is also BTW).
I'm down to either the P95 Or my 92 for Carry when in uniform.
I lost enough weight that I think a uni will fit me (again)....

JW357 07-29-2013 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rem870forever
Nothing about the s&w Sd.anybody?

I've heard good things about their newer offerings. No personal experience with them, though.

JW357 07-29-2013 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahall

I have my eyes on the new SR45, great looking little subcompact 45, one of the smallest I've seen in 45.caliber! Been reading some great reviews on this gun!

You want a small 45 go for the XDs in 45. Tiny little thing. Limited capacity, though.

John_Deer 07-29-2013 05:39 AM

I have a Ruger P95 I really like. I wouldn't trade it for a Glock. The P95 is one of the few semi auto's that have a large enough stock to fit my hand.

People say the P95 is hard to carry but I have no problems at all carrying the P95. I can actually put it in the pockets of my work pants. Otherwise, I can carry it in a belly band holster. A six inch belly band holster kills two birds with one stone. First, it's a great back support. Second I can position the gun any way I want. If I have to drive 600 miles today the belly band will slide around so I can carry my gun in a crossdraw position so it won't get tangled in the seat belts. The next day I need to shop that is no problem for the belly band either. I just position it like a normal IWB holster and my gun is concealed.

I also have a 3 slot pancake holster that works really well with the P95 when I am out of the truck.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:13 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.