Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Any one have a DAO Sig - Pros and cons?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Any one have a DAO Sig - Pros and cons?

Interested in the pros and cons of a double action only Sig Sauer. Most of my guns have de-cockers or external safeties. How safe is it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I bought a SIG P250 about 6 months ago, which I use it for concealed carry, and like the folks from MacDonalds say: I’m loving it.
As for safety I do not carry it with a round in the chamber, as doing so you would have to have an IWB holster that 100% protects the trigger. I can’t use a holster for various (legal) reasons which is beside the point of the question you are asking. If you were to carry it with a round in the chamber in an IWB holster, I’d say that it would still take a pretty deliberate pull on the trigger before it would fire the round, so with that setup it could be an option. Nevertheless, the firearm is really manageable to deal with, considering that it is a DAO. I was used to the trigger pull of the original Tupperware guns before I made the transition to the P250, and it does take a bit of time to get used to the smooth but looooong DAO trigger. But the bottom line is that I would not carry it with a round in the chamber, I just think it is too risky, hence if this is your setup your tactics should be adjusted accordingly.

****** "Shoot him again - His soul is still dancing" ******

Last edited by MB44; 01-11-2010 at 05:08 PM.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #3

In my mind, the pros of the dao sig are minimal, in fact I can think of none. I have a 229 that was dao. Compared to my 220 (da/sa) it sucked. It was reliable, and accurate, but I do not like the dao trigger on a standard sig. I converted the 229 to da/sa. I greatly prefer this config.
Sig does offer a "DAK" trigger system which is a dao trigger, but instead of the 13 pound pull, is a 6 pound pull. They also offer a "SRT" of short reset trigger which shortens the travel of the trigger until it resets the action for another shot.
I like the standard da/sa trigger enough that I see no reason to spend the extra money for an upgraded system.
I would however not be at all afraid to carry any Sig with a round in the chamber. They are built to be carried that way. I also want my ccw to be as ready as possible to fire if I ever have to display or use it. I also carry my 1911 cocked and locked. These are just a comfort level thing though.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:27 PM   #4

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by group17 View Post
Interested in the pros and cons of a double action only Sig Sauer. Most of my guns have de-cockers or external safeties. How safe is it?
I'm not a big fan of SIG DAO guns but the DAK trigger system is very good. Fairly light, consistent 6lb pull and a nice short reset. Reminds me a little of the LEM trigger in the HKs. I was playing with a 239 in .357 SIG for a while and I really liked the gun. I ended up giving it as a gift to a good friend that was not a SIG fan for many years. After I sent it to him to try out he fell in love with it too.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

[quote=jimbobpissypants;211468]In my mind, the pros of the dao sig are minimal, in fact I can think of none. [quote]

I would disagree with that there are no pros to the DAO trigger and the P250 in this case. What it comes down to is the fact that a SAO trigger in a stressed situation could become a factor in releasing a shot unintentionally. Now, I have been shooting for years, on the range and in competitions, and I can say that I have never had an unintentional shot go of. Fair enough, I have not owned a SAO Semi (hoping to do soon) but I have shot Glocks and revolvers, so that comes as close as possible without it being a SAO. So with a DAO trigger the firearm will only discharge when you very deliberately pull the trigger. Nevertheless, the trade off is off course a longer pull and I can clearly see that I can shoot faster with a GLOCK than with my P250 – but that is for competition use… I like the fact that the P250 does NOT have a safety, and that the safety in a sense is built into the longer/heavier pull of a DAO. Off course in a CC scenario there are always tradeoffs: In my case, with the lack of a holster, and from a security point of view, I simply cannot justify to carry it with a round in the chamber. Would I have had a 1911 or similar SAO, yes, then the situation changes, as you can carry cocked and locked. But I’ve been around Tupperware for so long I just feel more comfortable with the SIG/Glock. This all being said, the tactics and the skills you got to develop for a DAO are different. I feel comfortable carrying my P250 without a round in the chamber as using ICPS techniques, I have trained myself to be able to from the time that I realize a threat is obvious, to draw from concealment, and fire two rounds into the target, - it takes me about 1,6 – 1-8 seconds. That’s good enough for me ….. Another reason why I chose the P250 over the Glocks: Deploying ICPS into your tactics, you need to rack the slide, while drawing, in order to chamber a round, and with the thicker slide of the p250, this becomes easier.

Last edited by MB44; 01-12-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #6

If you are like the vast majority of folks carrying concealed, you will probably be carrying with one in the chamber. Most of us agree that carrying without one in the chamber just gives you one more thing to do/mess up before making a shot.
If you like a longer, in most cases, harder trigger pull, then a dao trigger may be for you. Some folks like that trigger feel. If you don't like a longer, harder pull (except dak) a gun with a da/sa trigger would probably be for you. You still have a da first shot,(unless you cock the gun manually) but the rest are a much more user friendly pull.
With a Sig, carrying with one in the chamber, the first shot is the same trigger pull whether you have a dao or da/sa model. So, my opinion is: why have a longer, stiffer pull with every shot?
I absolutely respect 44's opinion, mine just differs. Sounds like he is doing the right thing, training correctly for the carry conditions he prefers. Most folks I know carry a little differently than 44 does.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:44 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Jimbo - yes, you got that one right, and I can't say it won't change in the future, but with my current conditions this is the best deal I can get. CC is illegal here so if you get caught with a cocked and locked, you'll be in heaps of problems. With my setup, I can carry, and if caught, I'll just get a slap on my finger,... (and a fine). So I'll take my chances, but at least I am armed,....

Now GROUP17 did not tell much about what he was going to use a DAO for, but if it's not for CC, then I would have to agree with you Jimbo, then it is worthless, as there would be so many other, adn better options. Unlesssssss,.... you got a S***load of money and want to show your buddies the difference between a SAO/DAO,...

Not me though,.... we pay about 50%-100% more for guns down here than in the U.S.

(how the hell I could ever afford that SIG,....yikes,....)

Last edited by MB44; 01-13-2010 at 12:18 PM.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #8

The reason I asked about DAO is because I don't have a lot of money and saw a DAO Sig PS2022 for sale for a really reasonable price. All of my other pistols are DAO/SAO with decockers so switching to DAO with no visual safety is a new learning curve. Watching the hammer follow the slide forward and not firing takes a little getting use to when your use to seeing the hammer stay cocked. I don't carry but have kept an eye out for better made pistols I could never afford. The first gun I learned on was a $100 SAO so I'm going full circle.
Thanks for all the great information.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So if you are not going to use it for carry,... what is the price they are asking for it ??? Just trying to figure out what other options you would have,.....Also I am not familiar with the trigger of the ps2202 so it just might be that it is not the same as on the p250. The DAO trigger on the p250 is exceptionally smooth, and it feels like my GLOCK but with obvious a much longer pull. Perhaps that is my perception becuase I shoot revolvers double action, and that is heavy in comparison....

Old 01-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #10

I am not sure if the 2022 is as easy to convert as a 229, but the classic, all metal Sigs can be easily converted from dao to da/sa within an hour. Possibly, consider buying the dao now(if it a very good price) and save $150 and convert it at a late date if you can't live with the dao trigger. I will caution you about buying a Sig dao. The resale value is usually about $200 less than the same gun in da/sa or DAK. Many people have bought a dao Sig thinking they were getting a steal, only to find out they actually paid a fair price.