any davis industries 380 owners??? plz help - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > any davis industries 380 owners??? plz help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuie View Post
2) Slide Bite - Dear Lord, my hands fit around it just enough where it rubs on my hand didn't break skin until the second box of ammo.
If it's that bad, why did you shoot a second box of ammo???

9x18=Makarov

Old 06-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
If it's that bad, why did you shoot a second box of ammo???
I forgot to load my new boxes of 40 in my bag. So it was drive 20 minutes to the range, shoot for 10 minutes and go home, It was shoot a bad gun or don't shoot at all.

Springfield Armory XDm .40 S&W
Davis Industries P-380

Old 06-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #13

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith84 View Post
have you had one? can you ellaborate on why its a piece of junk? anyone else have anything to add?
I got one in a trade some time ago. It was a better paperweight. It would not feed all the time. It had a problem ejecting from time to time. And it beat you to death for such a small round. Though many 380's are like that because they are so small. I was not planning on keeping the 380 I ended up with but I like to know how well something works so when I go to trade it off I can say yeah it's a good one or not.With firearms you do get what you pay for to a degree. I'm not saying you need to drop a grand+ to get a decent weapon. But the reason many cheaper weapons are cheaper is because they are built cheaper. Poor steel, tolerances that are not consistent, overall a cheaper made weapon is what you get.

I got to know a county LEO in Ohio where I used to live that actually told me that with weapons like Davis, Jennings that they had to take them and have them checked out if they got one at a crime scene because some defense lawyers would argue that the weapons could not function properly and therefore a charge of a crime with a weapon had to be dropped because it wasn't really a weapon. I don't know if anyone actually got off or had a charge reduced that way but that is pretty funny (not funny ha ha but ...funny).

Finding a god deal on a weapon is great. But if this thing is going to be used to defend yourself I can only ask why one would thing their life was not worth the money for a weapon you know will work properly? There are handguns out there that wont break the bank. The Bersa 380's are much more reliable and don't cost much. If it is a 380 that you want that is. I lurk in pawn shops often looking for a good deal on something. It's a good way to save some money. Gun shows are also pretty cool to look at. Auctions like gunbroker, auctionarms, or gunsamerica deals can be found if you have an ffl to ship to. Places like Buds Gun Shop or other online dealers too. But where ever you go make sure you are getting something that will work if/when you need it. You're really just throwing good money after bad by getting a weapon just because of it's price. Especially one that might not work reliably.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #14

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default davis 380

i got one of these about 15 yrs ago still have it along with a couple springfiled s and smiths i wont say it is anywhere near top of the line but for the 125 i paid it is my backup piece i carry in my ankle holster and for accuracy i find mine very accurate . i have more than 5000 rds thru it and never a jam or any other problem for something everyone calls junk and being 15yrs old i would say it is fairly good.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:53 PM   #15

A lady-friend has one & I don't think much of it. She cannot rack the slide back no matter how she tries to. If your hand is high up on the grips, the slide will " bite you." BUT, if kept very clean & shooting FMJ, it is pretty reliable.
Save up a little more & get something better , is my recommendation. Is a revolver an option ??

Old 06-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #16

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default davis 380

i dont really use it for much some plinking as i said mainly back up as my two springfileds are 5in and the smith is 41/4 little big for the ankle but for a cheap saturdaynight pistol mine is pretty good . as for the slide i oringinally bought it for the wife she never had that problem if you lube it right the slide should work fairly easily. i am now looking at the new smith 380 as my backup my badluck buds is out o stock right now and they have some of the best prices around i am not a relvover man anymore. other than my two ruger blackhawks 1 357 and 1 44 super.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilddawg1 View Post
i dont really use it for much some plinking as i said mainly back up as my two springfileds are 5in and the smith is 41/4 little big for the ankle but for a cheap saturdaynight pistol mine is pretty good . as for the slide i oringinally bought it for the wife she never had that problem if you lube it right the slide should work fairly easily. i am now looking at the new smith 380 as my backup my badluck buds is out o stock right now and they have some of the best prices around i am not a relvover man anymore. other than my two ruger blackhawks 1 357 and 1 44 super.

Her firearm is lubed well. Just seems to be terribly strong springs. More shooting would probably help it some, though. She now has a S & W revolver for home defense.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #18

Default Davis P380

I have had a Davis P380 for almost 20 years, they don't like reloads, you will experience jams if you use reloads. Mine has NEVER jammed when useing new rounds. The other thing to watch out for is the fact that if you do not keep your thumb out of the way when firing, you will most likely lose some skin off the top of the bottom joint, been there done that, got the T-shirt, coffee cup and tattoo. Other than that I like the weapon, its sturdy, I wore mine daily for years when I was driving taxi at night in Phoenix AZ. It is accurate, at 50 feet I group shots at will, it is powerful, I use full copper jackets. $110 is pricey as I think I paid $99 20 years ago. If you have one, keep it clean and dont use reloads and above all keep the thumb knuckle outta the way.