Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ammunition recommendation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2008, 09:50 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I personally use Federal Hydra Shoks. The Winchester SXT's have a smaller hollow point opening and will feed reliably in some pistols that don't like the big opening HP's - in my experience.

Invest in several brands and see what feeds best in your gun.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:48 PM   #12

No matter what we recommend you gotta go buy a hundred or so and try them in YOUR gun .

The threads now 2+ weeks old have you tried any JHP in your gun at all yet ?

Hornady Hollow points feed in many 1911's but that is because they are not as aggressive as many hollow point designs .

Old 07-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Winchester White Box (NOT the Value Pack) Hollowpoint

Since my pistol is functioning again, I decided to start testing a bit early this year. I have to know that my ammo functions.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Guns/1911/WWB%20230gr%20test/standardsetup-1.jpg
Most of you are familiar with my setup by now, 4 layers of denim over the first milk jug.

I did not make a movie this time, though it likely would have been fun to watch.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Guns/1911/WWB%20230gr%20test/firstjug.jpg
After the shot I found the first jug shredded on the ground. Not pictured was the denim layer, as it's nothing spectacular.

The second jug was blown out...

... as was the third jug. The fourth jug is leaking in this picture.

The bullet came to rest about halfway through the fourth jug.

I did not measure the bullet as I cannot find half my stuff. The jacket did try to separate, and it looks as if the bullet just ignored the effects of the denim.

My deceased grandfather was an intelligence officer in WWII, operating out of England into the European Theater. This picture was taken on one of his GI blankets. You can see the bullet well expanded, next to the silver half dollar.

I like this ammo.

The bottom line is this: After passing through four layers of denim, a Winchester White Box 230 grain hollowpoint round will expand in the first 6" or so of water and continue on for a total of about 21" of penetration in water, or about 10 to 12 inches in gelatin. Not the latest and greatest hollowpoint out there, it is certainly still serviceable.

Josh <><

Old 07-21-2008, 07:15 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Fiocchi 230gr (Hornady bullet copy; genuine Hornady is used in their 200gr+P version)

05-21-08
Firearm: Charles Daly 1911 FS 5”
Ammunition: Fiocchi 230gr JHP

Having had some extra money come my way recently, I set out to buy a new 1911, namely, a brand new Taurus PT1911. I went ahead and ran through my personal safety checklist even though it was factory new. Imagine my disappointment when I heard a “click” when pulling the hammer back after putting pressure on the trigger with the safety engaged – the safety was not well fitted. They had no others with the ambidextrous safety, so I passed up the pistol for now.

I got to asking around about some 1911 magazines I had sold them a couple years back. The clerk on duty dug up three of the five after some searching, and found an additional two and a mag pouch. I bought all five magazines, two of which are WWII issue, one marked “S” and another marked “C-S.” All are Colt.

After I got home, I tested them for reliability. Two would not drop free consistently – an unmarked one and the “C-S” failed that test. However, three fired out as if they were new, and there is more than enough spring pressure in them.

As an aside, I have two different views of the “perfect” magazine for the 1911. The first is the seven round Wilson 47, or the 47D (8 round) loaded with seven rounds.

The second is the Colt hybrid style with a bumper pad. I had been looking at ordering several Metalform mags due to their similarity to this style. I can put that on the back burner now; I’ll just dig up some stick on bumpers for these.

The second test was to take the remaining three and fire my carry ammo out of each. This gunstore had acquired 150 rounds of Fiocchi 230gr hollowpoint. Since 230gr hollowpoint in standard pressure is somewhat difficult to find here, and the prices per box were less than Winchester “White Box” at Walmart by nearly $5, I bought all three boxes. Fifty rounds later through the three good magazines showed me that I had nothing to be concerned about with respect to function. I didn’t test the ones that hung a bit when dropping free as they’ve been designated “range mags” and will likely only see ball.

Picture
I already had the pistol. The rest are today’s purchases.

The Fiocchi round’s bullet looks like a copy of the XTP. Checking their website, the bullet is only identified as a hollowpoint, but I did note that Fiocchi loads a 200gr XTP bullet to +P pressures, so the resemblance is understandable.

Picture
This is the usual setup with the addition of a log.

When I attempted to test the Hornady 230gr +P TAP FPD, that bullet blew through six jugs and was not recovered, so I had to scrub the test. Not wanting to repeat that performance, I put the log there to stop anything which may have made it through the jugs. I need not have worried.

MOVIE
Here’s the shot…

Picture
The bullet decimated the first jug…

Picture
… and continued on through three jugs…

Picture
… while shedding its jacket.

I do not consider a defensive bullet shedding its jacket to necessarily be a bad thing as long as penetration is present. In this case, it was.

Picture
I found the core perfectly expanded between the third and fourth jugs, completely sans jacket.

Earlier, while I was testing the magazines, I plunked several bullets into a stove length which was waterlogged from recent heavy rains.

Picture
This is the result of firing this round into saturated wood.

The bullet showed no indication of separating.

Picture
This is the result of firing it into water after passing it through denim. As is often said, water will act upon a bullet in the most radical manner of any of the test mediums. Comparing the shot into wood to this, I’m convinced.

Having bought 150 rounds of this fodder on blind faith, I’m glad it performs. I’m set for a while for carry ammo it would seem, and now the most difficult decision will be whether to carry the Wilson mags, or the Colt.

*Footnote: This continues to be my carry ammo in my recent build. It's easy to get, inexpensive, doesn't deform on the feed ramp like Winchester White box, and always performs. - 07/08