Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ammunition recommendation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ammunition recommendation

I have a GI 1911 pistol in excellent condition. I've shot a variety of FMJ ammunition without problems over the years. But I am considering switching to JHP for home defense and I'm looking for receommendations for JHP that feed and fire reliably in this weapon.

Thanks.

---------------------------
John - Miami
KJ4NSE
Member NRA | GCO | GOA | SAF | GCA | ARRL
Why would God invent a thing like Whiskey? To keep the Irish from ruling the world of course.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-04-2008, 08:49 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

My Kimber feeds all hollow points really well. You may need some feed ramp work in order to get HPs to run properly though.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:18 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsteele View Post
I have a GI 1911 pistol in excellent condition. I've shot a variety of FMJ ammunition without problems over the years. But I am considering switching to JHP for home defense and I'm looking for receommendations for JHP that feed and fire reliably in this weapon.

Thanks.
Got any pictures of your chamber and your feed ramp?

JD

Old 07-04-2008, 09:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Got any pictures of your chamber and your feed ramp?

JD
No, but I can. Tune in later for video at 11 --- or at least photos.

John - Miami
KJ4NSE
Why would God invent a thing like Whiskey? To keep the Irish from ruling the world of course.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:34 AM   #5

Me and a buddy have had problems with certain brands of hollow points feeding in our Kimbers. I think a good solution would be the Corbon Powerball or the Federal Expanding Full Metal Jacket. They appear to be FMJ, however, they expand. The powerball is basically a JHP with a synthetic ball stuck in the hole to give it the profile of a FMJ. Just an idea.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:26 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

js, 7/7/08

I have a Springfield mil-spec with about 4200 rounds through it. All of these have been hollow points (my reloads, too expensive to buy). I have used Remington Golden Sabres, Gold Dots and Taurus 185 grain hollow points, no problems with any of them. Buy a small quantity of the various hollow-point offerings and see what your pistol likes. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

Old 07-07-2008, 01:56 AM   #7

Personally, if it's a true 45 acp self-defense pistol, I wouldn't use anything except Winchester SXT JHP's or regular good old fashioned military hardball. Speer Lawman would be an excellent choice.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2547 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Speer Gold Dots have a reputation for feeding like FMJ's. They are the FINEST HP ammo available, PERIOD.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:26 PM   #9

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll try some of the one's suggested and see what works best.

John - Miami
KJ4NSE

Old 07-07-2008, 09:47 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

My little Kimber will eat a magazine of 230 gr Hydrashocks as fast as I can squeeze them off.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.