Ammunition pricing (.45 ACP)
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ammunition pricing (.45 ACP)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009, 12:03 AM   #1
jjp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ammunition pricing (.45 ACP)

Hi. I'm told that having a .45 ACP handgun will be a little expensive to shoot. I was wondering what a reasonable price range would be for range ammo and for concealed carry ammo. I'll be buying some in a couple of weeks and I don't want to get ripped off.

At the range I've been going to, the price for .45 ACP ammo is $17.11 + tax. Does that sound reasonable? Are there any brands I should lean towards or stay away from? Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-13-2009, 03:26 AM   #2
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ammo prices varry depending on where you live and where you buy. If your getting target 45 acp for $17.11 and tax for a box of fifty rounds that is a great and unheard of price. Hard to find 9mm for that price. Have to ask how many rounds are you getting for $17.11 + tax at the range? Hard to reload 45acp rounds at that price point if it's a 50 count.

Shop your local market, prices will differ but it won't take long to figure out what is a fair price in your area. Depending on your firearm it should be able to eat up anything you feed it. What firearm do you have, that might offer up some better advise on what to feed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:30 AM   #3

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 54

The answer depends at least partly on what part of the country you're in. In my area (northeast Florida) the best price I've found on new .45 lately was between $30 and $35 for a 100-round box of Winchester White Box (WWB). At one of the ranges where I shoot, they had 50-round bags of factory reloads for $14 and change (call it $15). That was for members only and limited to one bag per day. At another range, the members' price was $16 and change for a 50-round box of factory reloads. So, unless they sold you non-factory loads, I'd say you probably got a reasonable deal.

New ammunition is direct from an ammunition manufacturer, such as Remington or Winchester. They control the manufacture of each component (case, primer, bullet and propellant) or they buy from one source. Either way, ALL of the bullets, are the same, ALL of the brass is the same, etc.

Factory reloads use spent brass, along with new bullets, primer and propellant. Their parts will also all be the same, except for the brass. They also use quality control on par with the manufacturer's, which means you can count on the components to be uniformly fitted, etc. Popular brands in my part of the country include Georgia Arms, Atlanta Ammunition and Space Coast Bullets.

Non-factory reloads are made at smaller shops, and, of course by individuals. It's really difficult to say what you're going to get. This isn't meant to give you nightmares. I frequently shoot rounds reloaded by an individual. I've had one FTF from a round in which the bullet wasn't seated quite properly into the brass. No big deal. A double charge of powder, though, could be a big deal.

One other way of getting cheaper ammo is to buy ammo with steel cases instead of brass. This stuff is always new, as the cases can't be reloaded. Blazer (different product line than Blazer Brass) and Wolf make a lot of it. Here's a thread on what others think: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/steel-cased-ammo-520/

Check with the range before you buy a bunch of ammo. Some ranges will only let you shoot what you buy there. Some will only allow factory new and/or factory-reloaded ammo. Some do not allow steel-cased ammo. And some (frequently those who don't allow steel cases) don't let you pick up your brass and take it home. A lot of ranges will have that info on their websites.

In most states, Wal-Mart is a great place to check for ammo. There are some states in which Wal-Mart can't sell ammo, but here in Florida, they usually have the best prices on new ammo (when they can keep it in stock).

When it comes to defensive ammo, I'd suggest you do some research, decide what you want, then shop around a little for it. Defensive ammo is usually quite a bit more expensive than target ammo, but it's made better, and you might be trusting your life to it. You'll find plenty of discussion around the web on what defensive ammo is the best.

Sorry for the dissertation. Everything above is my opinion and guaranteed to be worth every penny you paid for it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the .45.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 11-13-2009, 03:33 AM   #4
jjp

Hi. It was:
$17.11 + tax for 50 rounds .45 ACP
$12.50 + tax for 50 rounds 9mm

I just bought a Springfield XD .45 ACP. I haven't used it yet. I'll be picking it up in about a week or so. I know I'll need to spend more money on ammo, a holster, a new belt, cleaning equipment, and a storage locker when I get it, so I want to look for the best prices.

Thanks.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:24 AM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There's a good deal right now here AMM-513 - Ammo .45 ACP, FMJ, 230 Grain, 250 Round Bulk Pack Recommended for LE Use, Personal Defense Ammunition

If you can part with the cash!!

Old 11-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #6

Liked 328 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I've seen Federal Champion 230gr pretty frequently at Walmart for about $16/box (50). There's never a ton if it there, but it seems to trickle through pretty regularly, ala 9mm. Also saw some WWB (100 ct) priced under $35 I believe.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6727 Times on 3582 Posts
Likes Given: 504

i got conversion kits for my sig and 1911 to shoot .22LR. i can shoot a few .45acp to keep my hand in then switch to .22LR and shoot all day.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:07 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's not that bad of a price. The .45 at Wal Mart ranges from $16-19/box of 50 FMJ. Somewhere in the $0.33/round range.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Here in the Granola capital of the world, California, a box of 50 American Eagle 230gr. FMJ is going for $25. or so.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-20-2009, 01:24 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I hate to recommend WalMart, but you can pick up Winchester target rounds (box of 100) for like $ 29.99.... I've been hitting them for 100 round packs of the same in 9mm for $ 19.99.