Ammunition - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ammunition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2011, 06:38 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

At the range right now, ever have problems with XD jamming up? Seems to be a recurring incident here. The m&p is doing fine, just shooting a bit to the right. I'm hoping its just a problem with the XD they have to rent out, because other than the jams its great.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #12

First two pictures are from ten yards, second two are from fifteen. Pics go XD M&P XD M&P. I was def better with the XD and it felt great. A buddy I went with had it jam on him almost every time, I only had it happen once. The M&P didn't jam at all, but it pulled to the right and I couldn't get it zeroed in. So it looks as if I'm being swayed towards the XD9 based on accuracy and feel, and by hoping that the jamming wasn't my doing but the rental gun, and that my friend was loading the mags (when I loaded them the fired more smoothly for some reason).

forumrunner_20110930_143520.jpg   forumrunner_20110930_143542.jpg   forumrunner_20110930_143618.jpg   forumrunner_20110930_143633.jpg  

Old 09-30-2011, 08:24 PM   #13

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Shoot the XDM9, if you can. IMHO, it's a better feeling and shooting gun than the XD.

As for the XD issues, sometimes it is rough to base reliability off of a range gun. How new does it look? Does it look well maintained?

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 09-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #14

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

And if I can be an internet slooth here, I'd say your issue with the M&P is with the trigger pull and not the sites.

*Caveat: The following is based on my personal experience and may not correspond with someone else's experiences or opinions.

I do not like the trigger pull on the M&P at all. I find that you have to "bottom out" the trigger and pull it ALL the way back. This creates a situation whereby you mess up your sight picture with your trigger pull. I would guess that you are right-handed and as a result of the overly long trigger pull, you are actually pulling the barrel slightly to the right, which is why you can't correct your aim (because your sight picture is correct right up until the point where the gun goes bang).

The above is influenced by the size of your hand/length of your fingers. If the fit isn't right, you'll have the above results. If the fit is right, you may never notice or experience the above. Based on this, I'll reiterate my suggestion for the XDM9. I would think that the misfit of the M&P would mean a good fit for the XDM9.

However, you may experience otherwise, and it is only your experience that matters.

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 09-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

go for the XD9. buy lots of 9mm fmj ammo from remington, winchester, federal or one of the other major ammo makers and practice, practice and practice some more. but some high quality sd ammo, like corbon, hornady, or speer and use that when you use it to carry or for sd at the house as that ammo is more expensive, but will get the job done when needed.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:05 PM   #16

It didn't look bad, but the jamming was happening mostly to my friend, it only happened to me once. I'm just going to write it off as a user problem. I know for a fact that I will be XD now. I did some research on the XDm, it has a few extras to it, but I don't know about over $100 worth of them. Is there anything that is dramatically different? I know its a little bit bigger, and I'm looking for something that could be used for a carry, so the XD is still looking a bit better to me on that aspect.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:17 AM   #17

Liked 320 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 426

You can buy dirt cheap ammo from Russia with love in most popular calibers.

Look for Wolff,Silver Bear,Barnaul,Tulaammo,etc.

This ammunition will usually be steel cased and dirty,but I've never had a real problem with it.
Just make sure you clean your piece out real good after shooting it.

As for your first gun,get whatever tickles your fancy the most.

Be it a classic who's design served in WW2 cause you like history,or a modern slick polymer design,get what you like best.

Trust me,you play it that way,and you'll be getting more guns to suit other fancies and whims.

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%

Old 10-01-2011, 03:34 AM   #18

Before you purchase you may really want to try a glock, as far as reliability you cant find any better polymer weapon. Some people say they arent comfortable but i like the grip on them quite a bit. But guns are a very personal item i would shoot as many guns as possible

Old 10-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #19

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

I have seen reviews when XDs have issues with jamming when they aren't well lubricated. With that being said, I have never had a jam with my XDm. I have put around 8000 rounds through it. However, i do clean after every range visit, and lubricate well after. Good luck in your XD conquest.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #20
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessRegard View Post
I have seen reviews when XDs have issues with jamming when they aren't well lubricated. With that being said, I have never had a jam with my XDm. I have put around 8000 rounds through it. However, i do clean after every range visit, and lubricate well after. Good luck in your XD conquest.
good point! i also clean my guns after shooting, just the way we were taught. i also believe in a proper cleaning and maintenance of firearms, especially if you are going to use them to protect yourself with.