Ammunition
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ammunition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 11:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ammunition

I'm going to be buying my first handgun and am pretty set on a Smith and Wesson M&P, but I'm not sure on the caliber. I know I like the power and size of a .45, but I'm told the price per round is a lot higher than 9mm. I want to practice shoot quite a bit, but money is tight. So what is the average price per round on 9mm, .40, and .45?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2011, 11:29 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It all depends on the brand of ammunition and type of ammunition usually. If you buy full metal jackets or lead cast ammunition it will be a lot cheaper than something like hollow points. 9mm is going to be the least expensive, next is .40, and the .45 ACP.

I would recommend starting with the 9mm so you can learn the fundamentals of shooting, be able to shoot more, and get more practice in.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 09-29-2011, 11:30 PM   #3

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Don't know about averages, but here's an online source for ammo. I would compare prices within a brand for the same type of ammo (FMJ, for example). And don't use the really cheap brands as your measuring stick.

http://www.luckygunner.com/handgun/9mm-ammo

http://www.luckygunner.com/handgun/40-s-w-ammo

http://www.luckygunner.com/handgun/45-acp-ammo

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 09-30-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1151 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 690

i know around here average brands are
9mm... $11 or $12 per box of 50
.40 ...$15 to $18 per box of 50
.45.. not sure i dont buy it

thats for the average target loads. hollow points are a few bucks more and generally per box of 25

for a first pistol out of those those id pick the 9mm as you would get to shoot it more. but really as a first pistol i would suggest lookign at .22. they are great to practice with. cheap at around 500 rnds for 20 to 25. it would let you shoot a lot and get used to shooting pistols while saving you cash on ammo

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:28 AM   #5

I'm going to be using at as a carry and a home defense, so 9mm is the lowest size I'm going to go, but from what you're saying that's the best thing to get anyways.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:45 AM   #6

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

9mm will be a perfect start for you. Winchester White Box 100 at walmart are $24.97. I've probably shot between my glock 17 and my 1911 1500 rounds + with WWB and maybe have had 5 bad rounds. Not bad considering loose pack ammo (9mm) at least. And the brass has proven to be pretty good for reloading as well. Congrats on your first handgun, M&P's have been proven to be pretty dang reliable, lots of police forces have changed over from Glock to the m&p's (not that I agree considering I'm a glock owner/lover) Now if we can just get you to get a 1911 next.....

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 09-30-2011, 12:45 AM   #7

Liked 1420 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstaffor View Post
I'm going to be using at as a carry and a home defense, so 9mm is the lowest size I'm going to go, but from what you're saying that's the best thing to get anyways.
Do yourself a favor and read this thread.

Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W for self defense

If you don't know who Rob Pincus is, Let me google that for you

If you're really set on a polymer gun you should also look at the SA XD9;

Springfield XD 9mm 4" Black 16 round Mags $430.00 SHIPS FREE

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 09-30-2011 at 12:59 AM.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:16 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 262 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 36

You're probably best off buying a 9mm. I prefer metal frames, but the M&P is a very good gun.

Here's what I usually pay for range ammo (per 100rds):

9mm: $22
40sw: $29
45acp: $34

Old 09-30-2011, 06:02 AM   #9

It's funny that you bring up the XD9, its one of the other guns I'm planning on shooting when I go to the range to make my final decision. Have you or anybody else fired both? I've been watching a lot of videos and looking around a lot on both guns (as well as the SD9, but I've found that for the extra money just going for an M&P is worth it) and it looks like it's 50/50 between those. Just one of those things I'll know after I shoot them maybe?

Old 09-30-2011, 06:24 AM   #10

Liked 1420 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstaffor View Post
It's funny that you bring up the XD9, its one of the other guns I'm planning on shooting when I go to the range to make my final decision. Have you or anybody else fired both? I've been watching a lot of videos and looking around a lot on both guns (as well as the SD9, but I've found that for the extra money just going for an M&P is worth it) and it looks like it's 50/50 between those. Just one of those things I'll know after I shoot them maybe?
I've shot both and I think the XD is the better of the two.

If you are still looking, do yourself a favor before you buy. Find someone with a 9mm Browning Hi-Power and put a box of ammo down-range.

Two years ago I checked the Browning Hi-Power off my bucket list and found my now-favorite carry piece!

This vintage BHP cut about 15% of the time needed for lethal double tap hits. It also turned what was a waste of time and ammo, the Mozambique Drill, into a serious triple tap skill.

When I pick up a J M Browning designed firearm I seem to be able to "feel" Browning's DNA in the gun's form.

The man knew and understood ergonomics way before the word was coined and its science was studied.

Yes, I am a John Moses Browning disciple!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 09-30-2011 at 06:28 AM.