Ammo swap will it work?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ammo swap will it work?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2008, 12:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ammo swap will it work?

Hi guys,

I have a problem, I have a Desert Eagle AE50 ( and no that is not the problem) all the ammunition I have fr it has lead. Yes! You guessed it I live in California and we are no longer allowed to shoot or carry lead bullets or ammo on condor protected areas.
Anyway my question is can I use a S&W 500 round in my AE50 without any porblems? I can buy bullets at Barnes but they are for a S&W500 275 gr. and they are copper I want to reload my AE50 with this. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-11-2008, 01:07 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would find out the recommended REAL diameter of bullets used in the AE50 first. If the dimension is comparable, within about 0.002" of those made for the S&W, and the weight is ball-park similar, the swap seems OK to me. One hang-up might occur in that bullet SHAPE may not feed well in the AE.

A real accurate check would be to "slug" both barrels and find out if they are pretty similar. Harder to do than just measuring bullet diameters.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:02 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 208 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'm assuming that what you are asking is if you can use bullets (not cartridges) meant
for 500 S&W to reload ammunition for 50 AE?

Looks like yes. Both are listed as using .500 diameter bullets. 50 AE has 300 and
325 gr loads, so the 275 gr Barnes should load up OK. You are in kind of uncharted territory here, so start low and work up.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:50 PM   #4

Thanks guys,
You have confirmed what I was asking. I always ask and get 4 to 5 sources before I do anything, I like to ask many and do it correctly once.
Here is another question, how do I find out the amount of powder grain goes into an AE50?