Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/ammo-52783/)

ronny 11-30-2011 12:37 PM

Ammo

Anyone used Corbon DPX ammo? Specifically .40 and 380. I would appreciate any info on it thank you.

DallasShooter 11-30-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronny
Anyone used Corbon DPX ammo? Specifically .40 and 380. I would appreciate any info on it thank you.

I've used it in .380, 9mm and .45 and had no problems in feeding. It has become my primary SD and HD round. The are some excellent YouTube video tests of DPX but I've never conducted a test myself.

30-30remchester 12-01-2011 12:34 AM

I have used the DPX in both 380 ACP and 38 Special. I used them on recently dead deer and antelope (dead only a minute before) to test expansion and penatration. I have written up a report on penatration and expansion with pictures on the Smith & Wesson forum. In a nutshell they work well, expand well.

gollygee 12-01-2011 07:28 PM

Can't find it around here & the one on-line source I buy ammo from doesn't alway have it, so I've settled on the Winchester PDX1 in my .380. Both it & the Corbon DPX did well on expansion & penetration in the tests I've seen. On other calibers, I prefer the Federal HST as it comes 50 in a box for just a little more than the 20/box DPX. They also got good reports on the tests I've seen.

I will say that the Corbon DPX has proven good in all calibers & regardless of pistol size, etc. so if I wanted to have just one brand for all calibers, the Corbon would be it.

PanBaccha 12-01-2011 08:36 PM

I find the Corbon DPX ammo too expensive for a box of 20;
almost two dollars a bullet for a 45 firearm.
:(

DallasShooter 12-02-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gollygee
Can't find it around here & the one on-line source I buy ammo from doesn't alway have it, so I've settled on the Winchester PDX1 in my .380. Both it & the Corbon DPX did well on expansion & penetration in the tests I've seen. On other calibers, I prefer the Federal HST as it comes 50 in a box for just a little more than the 20/box DPX. They also got good reports on the tests I've seen.

I will say that the Corbon DPX has proven good in all calibers & regardless of pistol size, etc. so if I wanted to have just one brand for all calibers, the Corbon would be it.

Yes it is very expensive - but very good. It is not an economic practice round, but I don't mind paying a high price for something that I trust but seldom use. I'll shoot about a half box every two months or so to make sure they are still feeding well, so I don't purchase a lot and don't find the price burdensome. I don't want to skimp on a self defense round.

gollygee 12-02-2011 03:52 PM

The Federal HST has equaled or surpassed the Corbon DPX in all the tests I've seen, so you don't give up anything.

DallasShooter 12-03-2011 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gollygee
The Federal HST has equaled or surpassed the Corbon DPX in all the tests I've seen, so you don't give up anything.

Hadn't really seen tests on the federal HST but on your suggestion I checked it out and the tests do look vey good . I'll have to try some.