American 9mm recommendation
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > American 9mm recommendation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 03:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default American 9mm recommendation

Hey all,
Later this year I'll be buying myself my first 9mm (I only have .45 1911s) but I don't want to drop thousands of dollars on it, so fancy double stack 1911s are sorta out of the question. I'd like to buy from an American company (I can live with if it not MANUFACTURED in the US), so no CZ75s. I've shot Glock 17s & 19s, XDs, Beretta M9 and some more and I wasn't amazed by any of them. Basically right now I've narrowed it down to the Baby Eagle II, S&W M&P9 and Ruger SR9.

I'm extremely accustomed to the 1911 platform and I read that the M&P9 (the one with the thumb safety) is great for 1911 owners. I'd like to hear from you guys, some of you probably have all 3, or have further recommendations to make. What I like about these guns is that they're in the ~520 range. I really have no interest in 9mm other than shooting for cheaper and diversifying my calibers, so I'm looking for just ONE that I'll keep for good lol.

Thanks!

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentFreedom; 08-25-2012 at 03:49 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-25-2012, 04:04 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

missed it in print, my bad.....nevermind

Old 08-25-2012, 04:08 AM   #3

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Take a look at FNP-9,fnx-9,fns-9 basically any and all of FN 9mm handguns,have heard good things about them and have owned one of their .45s. Manactured in Virginia

Old 08-25-2012, 04:10 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6018 Times on 3152 Posts
Likes Given: 431

if i was going to pick a 9mm it would hands down be a springfield xdm. 19+1 capacity shoots fantastic. same grip angle as a 1911. uses a single stage trigger.

my wife has one in 9mm and ive got one in 45 acp. her 9mm is a dream to shoot. HIGHLY recomend it

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-25-2012, 04:20 AM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

+1 for the XDm... I have one in .40 and love it. But, they're made in Croatia.

However, you are accustomed to the 1911. Are you against your preferred and accustomed styling and design?

Or, on the other hand, check out the Browning Hi Power. Just one more perfect JMB design. Not sure on American made. I know that the Belgium ones aren't that bad.

Last edited by RecklessRegard; 08-25-2012 at 04:22 AM.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:28 AM   #6

Ya Hi-Powers are made at FN's plant in Belgium. But my logic is that if I'm getting a 9, I might as well take advantage of the very advantages it has over .45ACP, and that is capacity So I'm definitely going to take a look at the XDm.

Thanks a lot guys, keep it coming! And XDm owners, please chime in! Sure sounds like a good pistol based on what you guys are saying.

And RecklessRegard, when you say "Are you against your preferred and accustomed styling and design?", I assume you're talking about 9mm 1911s? I have nothing against them other than the fact that I find them overpriced (especially double stacks). I know the STI Trojan is a highly acclaimed 9mm but I'm thinking that if I'm going with 9mm, I might as well get accustomed with a new platform.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentFreedom; 08-25-2012 at 04:31 AM.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:32 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6018 Times on 3152 Posts
Likes Given: 431

I see your in the ****cago area if you want to try an xdm out in 45 or 9mm im at mcmiller just about every saturday and if you bring your own factory ammo you can a few mags through the wife's xdm over at mcmiller just north of the illinoise border

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-25-2012, 05:19 AM   #8

Thanks JonM I appreciate it. Yep I live in the city itself, that's where the job is and being from Chicago it's a love hate relationship, I could dedicate a thread to that lol. But I'm pretty sure that my local range has one, I'll check tomorrow when I go. I also go to the range every Saturdays, if I'm ever in WI on a Saturday I'll let you know

Old 08-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

The m&p9 is an excellent firearm IMO. Mine has alway run flawless and eats whatever its fed. With the adjustable backstraps, they fit perfectly in the hand. I don't have a thumb safety on mine though

Old 08-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #10

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom View Post
Thanks JonM I appreciate it. Yep I live in the city itself, that's where the job is and being from Chicago it's a love hate relationship, I could dedicate a thread to that lol. But I'm pretty sure that my local range has one, I'll check tomorrow when I go. I also go to the range every Saturdays, if I'm ever in WI on a Saturday I'll let you know
What range do you go to 2A?