Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   American 9mm recommendation (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/american-9mm-recommendation-71077/)

2ndAmendmentFreedom 08-25-2012 02:44 AM

American 9mm recommendation

Hey all,
Later this year I'll be buying myself my first 9mm (I only have .45 1911s) but I don't want to drop thousands of dollars on it, so fancy double stack 1911s are sorta out of the question. I'd like to buy from an American company (I can live with if it not MANUFACTURED in the US), so no CZ75s. I've shot Glock 17s & 19s, XDs, Beretta M9 and some more and I wasn't amazed by any of them. Basically right now I've narrowed it down to the Baby Eagle II, S&W M&P9 and Ruger SR9.

I'm extremely accustomed to the 1911 platform and I read that the M&P9 (the one with the thumb safety) is great for 1911 owners. I'd like to hear from you guys, some of you probably have all 3, or have further recommendations to make. What I like about these guns is that they're in the ~520 range. I really have no interest in 9mm other than shooting for cheaper and diversifying my calibers, so I'm looking for just ONE that I'll keep for good lol.

Thanks!

Dillinger 08-25-2012 03:04 AM

missed it in print, my bad.....nevermind

Jstrong 08-25-2012 03:08 AM

Take a look at FNP-9,fnx-9,fns-9 basically any and all of FN 9mm handguns,have heard good things about them and have owned one of their .45s. Manactured in Virginia

JonM 08-25-2012 03:10 AM

if i was going to pick a 9mm it would hands down be a springfield xdm. 19+1 capacity shoots fantastic. same grip angle as a 1911. uses a single stage trigger.

my wife has one in 9mm and ive got one in 45 acp. her 9mm is a dream to shoot. HIGHLY recomend it

RecklessRegard 08-25-2012 03:20 AM

+1 for the XDm... I have one in .40 and love it. But, they're made in Croatia.

However, you are accustomed to the 1911. Are you against your preferred and accustomed styling and design?

Or, on the other hand, check out the Browning Hi Power. Just one more perfect JMB design. Not sure on American made. I know that the Belgium ones aren't that bad.

2ndAmendmentFreedom 08-25-2012 03:28 AM

Ya Hi-Powers are made at FN's plant in Belgium. But my logic is that if I'm getting a 9, I might as well take advantage of the very advantages it has over .45ACP, and that is capacity :) So I'm definitely going to take a look at the XDm.

Thanks a lot guys, keep it coming! And XDm owners, please chime in! Sure sounds like a good pistol based on what you guys are saying.

And RecklessRegard, when you say "Are you against your preferred and accustomed styling and design?", I assume you're talking about 9mm 1911s? I have nothing against them other than the fact that I find them overpriced (especially double stacks). I know the STI Trojan is a highly acclaimed 9mm but I'm thinking that if I'm going with 9mm, I might as well get accustomed with a new platform.

JonM 08-25-2012 03:32 AM

I see your in the ****cago area if you want to try an xdm out in 45 or 9mm im at mcmiller just about every saturday and if you bring your own factory ammo you can a few mags through the wife's xdm over at mcmiller just north of the illinoise border

2ndAmendmentFreedom 08-25-2012 04:19 AM

Thanks JonM I appreciate it. Yep I live in the city itself, that's where the job is and being from Chicago it's a love hate relationship, I could dedicate a thread to that lol. But I'm pretty sure that my local range has one, I'll check tomorrow when I go. I also go to the range every Saturdays, if I'm ever in WI on a Saturday I'll let you know :)

nickel1911 08-25-2012 11:26 AM

The m&p9 is an excellent firearm IMO. Mine has alway run flawless and eats whatever its fed. With the adjustable backstraps, they fit perfectly in the hand. I don't have a thumb safety on mine though

JD1969 08-25-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom (Post 915335)
Thanks JonM I appreciate it. Yep I live in the city itself, that's where the job is and being from Chicago it's a love hate relationship, I could dedicate a thread to that lol. But I'm pretty sure that my local range has one, I'll check tomorrow when I go. I also go to the range every Saturdays, if I'm ever in WI on a Saturday I'll let you know :)

What range do you go to 2A?