Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > am new in usa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 02:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default am new in usa

hello i just want to know what to do to get a gun in california i have green card (perament resident card), i went to gun store and the seller told me i have to get california id or driver license and proof of residency (3 months gas and electrecity invoice) and gun safty test... i know all of these am only not sure about the residency proof, and what gun stores is the best in los angeles

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8373 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Welcome to the forum, and to the US.

In order to purchase a gun, you must meet Federal law, and state laws of the state where you live. Federal law requires you have two forms of ID that show where you live. CA will have laws regarding training, etc. You can show residency from a lease, utility bills, car registration, etc.

Best bet- find a smaller dealer, visit them at a NON-busy time, and they can point you in the right direction. We also have State forums on here- check with your fellow Californians for good places to shop in LA.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5611 Times on 2775 Posts
Likes Given: 5976

Welcome Fadisa, C3 wont steer you wrong. Your in a highly regulated state, follow the rules locally and you should be fine. Good luck and enjoy the forum.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2577 Times on 1353 Posts
Likes Given: 195

I believe you will be allowed to own a ling gun but not a handgun with a resident alien card.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

TnRebel Likes This 
Old 10-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

I dont know the laws in cali, I live in arizona and I own plenty of handguns and I have a resident alien card.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #6

Likes Given: 1

thanks every one... i have apartmen lease contract for one year. is this enough i just trying to avoide waiting 3 months

Old 10-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadisahouri
thanks every one... i have apartmen lease contract for one year. is this enough i just trying to avoide waiting 3 months
I always use my bank statements, but a lease should work

Old 10-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #8

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadisahouri View Post
hello i just want to know what to do to get a gun in california i have green card (perament resident card), i went to gun store and the seller told me i have to get california id or driver license and proof of residency (3 months gas and electrecity invoice) and gun safty test... i know all of these am only not sure about the residency proof, and what gun stores is the best in los angeles
You really need to get a CA ID. You will have problems with banks and other financial institutions without a state issued ID. Welcome to the US and I hope you have a great life here. CA is a great place to start. I train horses for a living. My first stable that was really my own was located at Hollywood Park in Inglewood, CA.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8373 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Robo- resident alien is good for handgun/long gun. Non-resident alien may be restricted. Resident alien has lifetime right of residency, classed as "emmigrant".

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Welcome to the US and the forum, glad to hear the you interested in purchasing a firearm. It sucks that you have to deal with so much BS as you do now in Kalifornia about purchasing a weapon. Thank God that I live here in Az.