Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   am new in usa (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/am-new-usa-73781/)

fadisahouri 10-06-2012 02:44 AM

am new in usa

hello i just want to know what to do to get a gun in california i have green card (perament resident card), i went to gun store and the seller told me i have to get california id or driver license and proof of residency (3 months gas and electrecity invoice) and gun safty test... i know all of these am only not sure about the residency proof, and what gun stores is the best in los angeles

c3shooter 10-06-2012 10:40 AM

Welcome to the forum, and to the US.

In order to purchase a gun, you must meet Federal law, and state laws of the state where you live. Federal law requires you have two forms of ID that show where you live. CA will have laws regarding training, etc. You can show residency from a lease, utility bills, car registration, etc.

Best bet- find a smaller dealer, visit them at a NON-busy time, and they can point you in the right direction. We also have State forums on here- check with your fellow Californians for good places to shop in LA.

WebleyFosbery38 10-06-2012 11:13 AM

Welcome Fadisa, C3 wont steer you wrong. Your in a highly regulated state, follow the rules locally and you should be fine. Good luck and enjoy the forum.

robocop10mm 10-06-2012 01:55 PM

I believe you will be allowed to own a ling gun but not a handgun with a resident alien card.

Rockjeep94 10-06-2012 03:18 PM

I dont know the laws in cali, I live in arizona and I own plenty of handguns and I have a resident alien card.

fadisahouri 10-06-2012 03:27 PM

thanks every one... i have apartmen lease contract for one year. is this enough i just trying to avoide waiting 3 months

Rockjeep94 10-06-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fadisahouri
thanks every one... i have apartmen lease contract for one year. is this enough i just trying to avoide waiting 3 months

I always use my bank statements, but a lease should work

Old_Crow 10-06-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fadisahouri (Post 966093)
hello i just want to know what to do to get a gun in california i have green card (perament resident card), i went to gun store and the seller told me i have to get california id or driver license and proof of residency (3 months gas and electrecity invoice) and gun safty test... i know all of these am only not sure about the residency proof, and what gun stores is the best in los angeles

You really need to get a CA ID. You will have problems with banks and other financial institutions without a state issued ID. Welcome to the US and I hope you have a great life here. CA is a great place to start. I train horses for a living. My first stable that was really my own was located at Hollywood Park in Inglewood, CA.

c3shooter 10-06-2012 09:00 PM

Robo- resident alien is good for handgun/long gun. Non-resident alien may be restricted. Resident alien has lifetime right of residency, classed as "emmigrant".

Phelenwolf 10-07-2012 06:40 PM

Welcome to the US and the forum, glad to hear the you interested in purchasing a firearm. It sucks that you have to deal with so much BS as you do now in Kalifornia about purchasing a weapon. Thank God that I live here in Az.