Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Alright, help me out.. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/alright-help-me-out-2996/)

Rubi22 01-13-2008 04:58 AM

Alright, help me out..

First of all, I'm very new to handguns, found this site via a banner on JeepForum.com, and have been browsing through the threads trying to learn a little of this and that.

I don't have a specific question, rather I'm just looking for some advice from the other experienced members.

Here's my situation: I don't have a handgun, and I'm 19. I'll probably be buying one within the first week that I turn 21, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can before then. It'll be used at the range, at the house for home protection, and will most likely become a CCW. Oh, and FYI, I'm a lefty--not sure how much that's going to affect how comfortable it is in my hand, but that's why I'm asking, right? :D Here's what I've began to consider after visiting the store a few times:

Ruger SR9 (9mm): By far, the most comfortable in my hand. Great look to it, but because it's so new, have yet to hear enough reviews to be comfortable choosing it as the primary choice. Although, I'd really like the extra power of a .40...

Glock .40: A trusted name in firearms... fairly comfortable in my hand, although I'd have to get used to the right-hand slide-release. I really like the fact that it's backed by many aftermarket accessories (I'd most likely get a light).

Springfield XD-40: Solid pistol, also with a lot of history, I would definitely consider it in the long run and doubt I'd regret it, although it's not the most comfortable. Also, I like the grip-safety feature, but is it really worth it?

I appreciate your responses :)

hillbilly68 01-13-2008 05:29 AM

Glock or XD are good options. I would rent/ borrow as many different types before you buy (you have time). Unfortunate that you can't own one until you are 21, but thats the world we live in. Your preference is paramount, based off your posting I would say your initial choices are on track for the purposes you stated. 9mm is the bottom end for CCW, good "starter" round. Most important thing is training and mindset to go along with the responsibility. Good luck and happy shooting.
regards

Rubi22 01-13-2008 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbilly68 (Post 14173)
Glock or XD are good options. I would rent/ borrow as many different types before you buy (you have time). Unfortunate that you can't own one until you are 21, but thats the world we live in. Your preference is paramount, based off your posting I would say your initial choices are on track for the purposes you stated. 9mm is the bottom end for CCW, good "starter" round. Most important thing is training and mindset to go along with the responsibility. Good luck and happy shooting.
regards

Gotcha. Have you shot/held the SR9, though? I've actually yet to shoot any of them, my opinions are solely based on the feel of them in the shop and the reviews I've read online. If I had to buy one today, it'd probably be the SR9, then the XD, and lastly the Glock, although I wouldn't be upset having to choose any of them.

Yes, the 9mm seems appealing only because I'll spend a lot of time at the range getting used to whatever gun I buy, and we all know the 9mm ammo isn't ass bad as the .40, although the .40 isn't too bad either, when considering the extra power it packs.

Thanks for the response :)

Righteous 01-13-2008 12:56 PM

all 3 are fine guns to play and carry, just fine the one that fits your hand and when you throw it up and aim it to see which comes on target first, you will find some that will point alot better to you then others. AS for the 9mm or the .40? if your gonna play with it at the range alot the 9 mm is the way to go for price of ammo, if your gonna carry more then play i like the .40 I been carrying a XD in .40 for couple years now with no problems

jeepejeep 01-13-2008 02:48 PM

I've never shot the Ruger so I cant say anything about it but I own other Ruger firearms and they are great. Well made and good value for the money. As others have said, shoot them and see what feels best. I've shot the XP and own a Glock. Personally I like the Glock more but it's a personal thing. I am a lefty also and use my trigger finger to release the mag. It's very quick and natural afrer a little practice. Welcome to the world of handgunning and enjoy! If you decide on a 1911 type of gun or any other with an external safety lever, get one with ambidexterous safeties and you'l be fine.

Rubi22 01-13-2008 04:32 PM

I've yet to find anywhere that will let me rent/shoot a Ruger SR9 :(

Goomba 01-13-2008 11:57 PM

shoot as much as you can, with any type/cal of gun that you can.

dont fixate on any type of gun/cal just b/c of what somebody has said. find out what works well for you.

also, since you cant buy a handgun, but you can buy ammo. if somebody has a gun you would like to try out offer to buy a couple of boxes of ammo for them if you can try it out.

as for the lefty. my roomate is a lefty, and he shoots with both left and right hands b/c he was military. so try shooting right and left with the guns you try out. its good practice & practical to boot.