Age old debate
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Age old debate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Age old debate

I'm doing research on my next 9mm purchase. I finally got to hold the XD, G19 and the M&P9. I hated the trigger and overall feel of the XD(in my hand). So that's off my list. I love how the M&P felt. I like the trigger pull too. But there is something about the G19. I've always wanted one. I wish I could buy both. The question is which one is next. I don't like the safety on the MP. So, either way I won't get a safety. Anyone not too tired of this debate, want to weigh in once again?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #2

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

You do realize you'll probably get numerous suggestions of choices other than the ones you specified, don't you? Could make your problem worse! So, let me start it off.

I have no personal experience with any of the three you mention, but seems that all three are well respected for quality & reliability. Seems it would come down to which one feels/balances in your hand the best.

As to one of the numerous other suggestions you'll get, I prefer a hammer fired pistol with a decocker & DA/SA platform. My personal experience is with the Bersa Ultra Compact & the Bersa High Capacity 9mm's. The Bersa is not known for it's steller finish, but their 9mm pistols are getting the rep for being their most reliable. I also just bought their new BP9CC polymer framed striker fired 9mm & while I only have about 300 rounds through it, I can see that it will join my carry rotation. I can tell you that, new out of the box, the trigger will be gritty & will require some loving care to eliminate that, but has a short take-up, a crisp break & very short reset.

I wish you luck in making your choice.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #3

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I also prefer a hammer fired DA/SA decocker. The DA leaves you with the

long first trigger pull as an additional safety feature, IMO.

My taste is more to Berettas, but they're very large for an EDC.

With an EDC, you should have some sort of secondary safety...

Old 06-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6533 Times on 3643 Posts
Likes Given: 6171

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
I also prefer a hammer fired DA/SA decocker. The DA leaves you with the

long first trigger pull as an additional safety feature, IMO.

My taste is more to Berettas, but they're very large for an EDC.

With an EDC, you should have some sort of secondary safety...
Why??

My SIG P226 doesn't have one, and it's one of the safest weapons I own.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #5

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Some owners of the Bersa BP9CC complained that the trigger was too light, about 3-1/2 lbs plus too short, & they didn't think it was safe for carry since it didn't have a manual safety. Personally, 'finger off the trigger' is as good a safety as a person should need.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:03 AM   #6

I went with the g19, just felt better to me. I was down to those same 3. The m and p went because my wife liked firing the glock better and the xd went because I didn't like the trigger pull.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:37 AM   #7

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem8 View Post
I'm doing research on my next 9mm purchase. I finally got to hold the XD, G19 and the M&P9. I hated the trigger and overall feel of the XD(in my hand). So that's off my list. I love how the M&P felt. I like the trigger pull too. But there is something about the G19. I've always wanted one. I wish I could buy both. The question is which one is next. I don't like the safety on the MP. So, either way I won't get a safety. Anyone not too tired of this debate, want to weigh in once again?
No thanks
Gud luck on your quest

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 06-10-2012, 03:56 AM   #8

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Either is a good choice. I'm impressed with my G23 the 40S&W version of the G19. I do shoot 9mm in it with a Lone Wolf conversion barrel. Really hard to beat when you have both calibers. I like the M&P but still would go with Glock again.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #9

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

For me, XD or M&P. I own both, and both are fine pistols. The Smith can be finicky about reloads, I don't know why. I have tried several Glocks, but for whatever reason I don't shoot them very well. I did own a G22 once. For 3 days. Bought it cheap enough that it made more sense to sell it for a decent profit, given that it didn't agree with me.

I will say that the Glocks are fine pistols as well. You really don't have much opportunity for a bad decision, given the 3 options you listed.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #10

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Why??

My SIG P226 doesn't have one, and it's one of the safest weapons I own.
Because you're carrying a live one in the tube.

I find the grip safety on the 1911, and the DA on the

Beretta to not be inconvenient. JMHO-YMMV...