Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Advise on magazines (or clips) (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/advise-magazines-clips-158/)

marmac 04-28-2007 03:00 AM

Advise on magazines (or clips)

I have a Ruger P345 and is my first automatic. I bought it in December and love it! Since I am a newbie with autos, I have a question.

It came with 2 magazines and, since then, I've purchased 3 more. Before I go to the range, I will take it the night before and load all of them with rounds so I don't use too much time when I get to the range (he gives you an hour for $10). I had someone at the range see that my mags were all loaded and he asked me when I had loaded them and when I had done it. I told him the night before, that would place it about 12 hours before, and he told me that I should never leave a magazine fully loaded up for more than a day because that would wear the spring out very quickly and would lead to a jam. He advised to put no more than a couple of rounds in a mag to leave in each one for readiness.

Okay, what do you guys suggest and have you ever had a problem with jamups or misload because of premature wear and fatigue due to the compression of the spring? :confused:

Thanks.

MarMac

BrassMonkey 04-28-2007 01:19 PM

I probably have 100 or so loaded magazines at any given time. Some of them may be loaded for a year or more before being fired with no malfunctions. I have heard of a case where a 1911 magazine from WWII was found loaded and functioned perfectly after being loaded for over 60 years. Storing mags loaded is IMO not harmful to their function in any way. What wears the springs out is the act of loading and unloading them. Keep em loaded as long as you want, and you will be just fine. The only time leaving mags loaded for long periods of time can cause problems is with certian drum mags.

Declaration Day 04-29-2007 02:10 AM

I have about 50 M1911 mags loaded at all times. Some of them stay loaded for months before being shot, and I've never experienced any spring problems.

dvonmatt 04-29-2007 04:39 PM

Good for you, but with my ser. 70 mags i do have to work on the springs every four months...
David von Matt,
www.miamigunclasses.com

GUNGIRL 04-29-2007 05:04 PM

same here..I keep my 1911 mags(NOT CLIPS:mad: ) loaded and never had a problem...do the same with my rifles also

allmons 04-30-2007 01:53 AM

I keep at least 4 magazines loaded at all times

for every weapon I own. Unless you mess with the feed lips, most well made mags will function fine for longer than we will need them.

The only mag springs I've had wear out were those I used for many thousands of rounds.

But, in fairness, I don't shoot 1911 style autos. I could never find one that functioned well for me regardless of magazine type.

a_laidback_biker 05-01-2007 05:58 PM

i never had any trouble leaving my clips loaded

notdku 05-02-2007 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Declaration Day (Post 618)
I have about 50 M1911 mags loaded at all times. Some of them stay loaded for months before being shot, and I've never experienced any spring problems.

Do you keep them stored in any special way?

Declaration Day 05-02-2007 07:59 PM

They are stacked in a dry ammo box.

Doc 05-19-2007 06:41 AM

I have three 1911 magazines that I kept in my desk loaded for about 12 years.
1 in the gun. One was Colt, the others were no name that I picked up at the gun show.

I took the gun out to the range after I retired. Fired all rounds without a problem. Still using all three mags with the original springs.

Okay, what do you guys suggest and have you ever had a problem with jamups or misload because of premature wear and fatigue due to the compression of the spring? :confused:

Thanks.

MarMac[/QUOTE]