Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Advice on a new Semi-Auto purchase

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2007, 10:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1
Default Advice on a new Semi-Auto purchase

The time has come for me to purchase a new semi-automatic. The only problem is I can't make up my mind.

I want something in .40S&W or .45ACP (prefered), around $600-700, and reliable (will NOT be used for Concealed Carry). I don't care about looks. I don't care about how I can dress it up. I just want something that is great for recreational shooting and will do the job when it comes to self defense. I am open for any and all suggestions and criticisms, and please don't turn this into an "XD sucks, get a glock" post, I just want your honest opinion on what is the best you have experienced for the criteria I am looking for. And yes, I know I won't know which is right for me until I can shoot each one, I just want your opinion on what has proven itself to you and why.

Here is a short sample of some of the guns that are on my "Interested In" list:

S.A. XD.45ACP
S&W M&P.40SW
Taurus PT1911 (I like 1911's but am not willing to pay more than $700 at this time)

__________________
BigR24 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 11-13-2007, 12:16 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
matt g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,885
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

You can get a base Kimber Custom II for about $700. I have a Compact II that has been reliable for years. I haven't had a single misfeed or stovepipe. The trigger feels really nice and replacement mags are cheap and easy to find.

__________________
matt g is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 72
Default Taurus PT1911...

"Taurus PT1911 (I like 1911's but am not willing to pay more than $700 at this time)"

I understand that the MSRP is $703.00 but one does not have to pay that much in reality. I have seen discounts of up to $150.00 for a new one.

__________________
henryk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
robocop10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin,Texas, by God!!
Posts: 9,888
Liked 2551 Times on 1339 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Default New semi

I am partial to the Smith and Wesson. I would look at the M&Ps. Most important is to find a gun that fits your hand. Some folks like the feel of a Glock. You can hardly go wrong with an XD, very natural feel. I just cannot get over the history of Taurus. They made some very questionable products in years past. With that said, they would not be in business if they did not make some drastic improvements. I would rather spend my money on a US made gun, when possible.

__________________
robocop10mm is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:38 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wolf Creek,MT
Posts: 207
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

You know, I have been wanting to try out that new Taurus 24/7 OSS when it finally hits the street.

I have the XD9, and I have shot a friends XD45. I would like to try out the M&P as well. Ooooh.. and I really want to get a Walther P99... I have heard good things about the Taurus 1911 as well.

Every one that you have listed is good as far as I know. The only one I have shot is the XD45, which I like, but I like my XD9 just a tad better. Of the three, I would get the XD, simply because I have shot it, and it is in .45. I don't have any .40's, and I really don't want to add another caliber..

-Bidah

__________________

-Bidah

Bidah is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:13 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidah View Post
You know, I have been wanting to try out that new Taurus 24/7 OSS when it finally hits the street.

I have the XD9, and I have shot a friends XD45. I would like to try out the M&P as well. Ooooh.. and I really want to get a Walther P99... I have heard good things about the Taurus 1911 as well.

Every one that you have listed is good as far as I know. The only one I have shot is the XD45, which I like, but I like my XD9 just a tad better. Of the three, I would get the XD, simply because I have shot it, and it is in .45. I don't have any .40's, and I really don't want to add another caliber..

-Bidah
Yes, understandable. I am dealing with .40 S&W and .380 ACP and do not want to add any other cal to that. Adding more calibers at this point in time just adds to confusion I believe. Confusion adds to spending more money than I can afford to spend. So what is the answer? Pick a caliber and find a handgun that suits your needs and budget. lol Never an easy answer.
__________________
henryk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:03 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wolf Creek,MT
Posts: 207
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryk View Post
Yes, understandable. I am dealing with .40 S&W and .380 ACP and do not want to add any other cal to that. Adding more calibers at this point in time just adds to confusion I believe. Confusion adds to spending more money than I can afford to spend.
No, it isn't an easy answer. Since I reload, I want it as simple as possible. I have stuck with 9mm and .45acp, but have thought one time or another about getting .357Sig, 10mm, .400 Corbon and .45 Super. Then I think about reloading and having to stock more brass.. and well there that goes. And for two of those I would also have to stock another bullet as well...

Quote:
So what is the answer? Pick a caliber and find a handgun that suits your needs and budget. lol Never an easy answer.
Nope never easy, but we do agree. Find what you want and shoot the snot out of it. I started with a 1911 when an Uncle started me on one, and gave me one as a present. Shot that pistol for years with the supplied reloading equipment. After too many years to name, I branched out to the CZ-75B. I fell in love with that pistol. I actually run it better than a 1911. Since then I have tried 12 or so other pistols, but I keep coming back to these two. I did get the XD last year to try, and it has become a favorite as well, although that CZ is still the queen of my heart (even though it is DA/SA). I just don't utter those words around my 1911..

-Bidah
__________________

-Bidah

Bidah is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:07 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona,Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,642
Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default



How about a nice "Baby" Desert Eagle in .45 ACP? They are all steel, inexpensive, (under $500.00 new), run like a top, hold 10+1, and are accurate as hell. They can't be beat for the money! Bill T.
__________________
billt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:06 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post


How about a nice "Baby" Desert Eagle in .45 ACP? They are all steel, inexpensive, (under $500.00 new), run like a top, hold 10+1, and are accurate as hell. They can't be beat for the money! Bill T.
That sounds very good but would constitute adding another caliber for me. I ordered the Taurus Millennium Pro .40 S & W Model 140SSP last night. I am also waiting for the Beretta PX4 Storm .40 S & W in subcompact version that is to start shipping in January 08. Dang. So many choices, so little cash. lol
__________________
henryk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:42 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigR24 View Post
The time has come for me to purchase a new semi-automatic. The only problem is I can't make up my mind.

I want something in .40S&W or .45ACP (prefered), around $600-700, and reliable (will NOT be used for Concealed Carry). I don't care about looks. I don't care about how I can dress it up. I just want something that is great for recreational shooting and will do the job when it comes to self defense. I am open for any and all suggestions and criticisms, and please don't turn this into an "XD sucks, get a glock" post, I just want your honest opinion on what is the best you have experienced for the criteria I am looking for. And yes, I know I won't know which is right for me until I can shoot each one, I just want your opinion on what has proven itself to you and why.

Here is a short sample of some of the guns that are on my "Interested In" list:

S.A. XD.45ACP
S&W M&P.40SW
Taurus PT1911 (I like 1911's but am not willing to pay more than $700 at this time)
I'm happy with my Sig Pro 2022 in 40 S&W. I can even change out the barrel to the hot 357 Sig without changing any other parts, including the magazines. You might also want to do some research on the new modular P250.
__________________
WARNING: CZs MAY BE HABIT-FORMING.
Consult your doctor if nursing or pregnant.

Member GCO

Last edited by Chuck; 11-20-2007 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Because I can.
Chuck is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
AK semi vs AK auto liebo1 AK & SKS Discussion 6 12-30-2011 04:16 PM
Which .22 semi auto NitroxAZ General Handgun Discussion 18 07-09-2009 05:29 PM
.22 semi auto gun .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 3 06-25-2009 10:58 PM
What .22 Semi Auto notdku Semi-Auto Handguns 17 07-02-2008 01:37 PM