Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Advice needed (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/advice-needed-77170/)

OUDAN 11-27-2012 12:18 AM

Advice needed

New to the forum guys I need some help trying to purchase my first CC gun. My state OK is open carry but I would like to conceal still. I am 5'6 140 so I'm a small guy so I don't need a hand cannon. I am down to a 9 or 40. I have looked at HK, SW MP, Glock, Ruger everything I need some help. Everyone seems to have a Glock but why? They seem bulky to me. Just need some general help.

Zombiegirl 11-27-2012 12:31 AM

You need to go to a gun shop and hold all different brands to see what feels the most comfortable to you. Perhaps you have a range by your house that rents guns.....then you could shoot a few that you were thinking about.

danf_fl 11-27-2012 12:35 AM

Welcome to the forum where "everyone does not have a Glock".

We have an "Introductions" area if you haven't stopped by there to say "Hi".

I would say get to the nearest gun shop or sports store and do some pistol handling. It has been said that your self defense weapon should be comforting, not comfortable. But if you practice with the same that you carry, then look at comforting as well as comfortable. 9mm or the 40 should work.

GNLaFrance 11-27-2012 12:36 AM

Then consider how you'll carry it. I'm not much bigger than you at 5'7" and 165#, and I prefer cross-draw or appendix carry, but your mileage may vary.

TX45 11-27-2012 12:38 AM

I agree with Zombiegirl.

Some popular subcompacts in 9mm & .40SW for concealed carry are SR9c, SR40c, LC9, 709, M&P SHIELD in 9mm and in .40SW.

KG7IL 11-27-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OUDAN (Post 1028453)
I'm a small guy..Glock.. seem bulky.

A couple to look at.
  • Kimber Solo in 9mm
  • Springfield Armory XDs (single stack slim) in 45ACP
  • Smith and Wesson Shield in 9mm / 40 cal

Zombie Girl has it right, go to Local Gun Store (LGS) and try for fit, feel.
Be sure and consider the right holster.
The holster is the major part of your carry system

jjfuller1 11-27-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OUDAN (Post 1028453)
New to the forum guys I need some help trying to purchase my first CC gun. My state OK is open carry but I would like to conceal still. I am 5'6 140 so I'm a small guy so I don't need a hand cannon. I am down to a 9 or 40. I have looked at HK, SW MP, Glock, Ruger everything I need some help. Everyone seems to have a Glock but why? They seem bulky to me. Just need some general help.

all of the brands you say you've looked at are good reliable pistols. caliber is really just choice. i say a 9 because its cheaper ammo. which mmeans more practice time. but both calibers are good. i have both. out of the pistols you held did any of them stand out more than others? the safeties, or looks, the way it felt in your hand? theses are things to considerwhen shopping. also think about size, a small 9mm like an ruger lc9 is easy to conceal, but is not going to be a lot of fun to shoot all the time. perhaps the ruger sr9c would be a better choice. or even the SA XD sub-compact. might be a happy middle ground.. its your choice to try and narrow it down more. then we would be glad to share with you our experiences with the guns you are deciding between.

2ndfan 11-27-2012 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TX45
I agree with Zombiegirl.

Some popular subcompacts in 9mm & .40SW for concealed carry are SR9c, SR40c, LC9, 709, M&P SHIELD in 9mm and in .40SW.

I am thinking about a Ruger LC9 for concealed carry. I usually carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II which I love, but can be a little big on those warm California afternoons! I fondled a LC9 today at my LGS. I gotta say, it's a very nice, small, easily concealable handgun, that appears to be very well constructed. I may buy it!

JTJ 11-27-2012 12:46 AM

I am not that small but the double stack Glocks are too bulky for me. I traded may G19 for a Ruger SR9c. The SR40c is the same size. If you want thin, look at the Shield or the Sig 938. Kahr also makes some nice thin pistols.

OUDAN 11-27-2012 12:51 AM

I found what I feel like is a nice deal on a HK .45 little bigger then my previous thoughts but seems like a great deal

http://www.armslist.com/posts/683486/lawton-oklahoma-handguns-for-sale--hk-usp--45-compact-with-ammo-accessories