Advice first handgun [9mm] - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Advice first handgun [9mm]

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 12:33 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Look around for a used Browining Hi-Power just in case you want to shoot the prince of 9 mike mike. Otherwise, you have been given some great advice. Let us know what you decide and post a range report when you can.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-31-2010, 03:28 PM   #12

I was in your shoes about six months ago. Looking for your first handgun can be difficult, aggravating, and fun all at the same time. The one thing that threw me for a loop was everyone telling me to just go a shoot a bunch of stuff and see what felt right in my hands. Being brand new to handguns, I wasn't sure what "right" was as far as feel. Heck - I had no idea. I only had maybe one or two comparison points in my life and even my grip was wrong.

The Sigs are great guns and get great reviews. You can't go wrong there.

Here's an alternative idea based upon what I did. At one point early on in my search I decided I wanted one, really nice gun, and got enamored with 1911s. But as I searched and searched, I got fed up with trying and renting and holding and fondling guns. And reading reviews in the interwebz was making me crazy. So rather than try to find one "perfect" gun, I decided to lower my price range a bit and get multiple guns. Maybe try a polymer gun like a Glock, Springfield XD, or S&W MP. Then try a SA/DA "metal" gun like a CZ or a Beretta (although I don't know if you can get a Beretta with a decocker or not?). If you're looking to carry, look at some subcompacts. For the price of that spiffy high end 1911 I wanted, I ended up with THREE guns. Admittedly, one of them was used, but that can be a great way to keep the price down, too. So as I'm learning and continuing to build my skills, now I've got a nice selection with which to go out and use. If in the future I decide I really don't like one of them, I can always sell it and put the funds towards something else. The main idea was to get out there and get shooting and build skills instead of agonizing for months and months looking for the one perfect solution.

Anyway, best of luck in whatever you decide. Have fun and enjoy the process!

Last edited by CaptainSlow; 03-31-2010 at 03:31 PM.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
Maybe try a polymer gun like a Glock, Springfield XD, or S&W MP. Then try a SA/DA "metal" gun like a CZ or a Beretta (although I don't know if you can get a Beretta with a decocker or not?).
The Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm comes in several different variants, Model F being the best one for a new shooter since it has a decocker/safety and you can field strip it in under 7 seconds even being new to the whole firearm. It has a polymer frame and a metal slide. So it's a bit of a hybrid. I've put upwards of 1,500 rounds through mine since I bought it in October of last year and I haven't had one single problem with it. It also sells for around $550 or so, but you can get it cheaper.

Here's a link:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/18155

It also comes in a sub compact which is supposed to be awesome, but since it's got a double-stack magazine I would personally avoid this for carry. Better go with a pistol with a somewhat more streamlined profile like a 1911 or similar. The rotating barrel system also takes a lot of the sting out of a S&W .40 recoil, making it feel close to that of a 9mm. So you could even up the caliber to a .40 if you wanted to.

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 03-31-2010, 04:54 PM   #14

I appreciate all of the excellent advice. I've got a lot to think about. I like the idea of maybe getting a few cheaper (probably used) until I really know what I want, but I also like the idea of a sig.
I'll definitely check out the barettas if I can find any.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:58 PM   #15

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

You may also want to look at the Stoeger Cougar. Stoeger secured the rights to build these from Beretta and they are very reasonably priced. While I have not owned one, I know folks that do and I've fired more than one in both 9mm and .40 calibers. Just another one to add to your list...

Old 03-31-2010, 06:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
You may also want to look at the Stoeger Cougar. Stoeger secured the rights to build these from Beretta and they are very reasonably priced. While I have not owned one, I know folks that do and I've fired more than one in both 9mm and .40 calibers. Just another one to add to your list...
Hey, that's a good idea! By the way, wasn't the Cougar the predecessor to the PX4 Storm platform?

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 03-31-2010, 06:25 PM   #17

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
Hey, that's a good idea! By the way, wasn't the Cougar the predecessor to the PX4 Storm platform?
Sure was. The Stoeger isn't quite as nicely finished as the Beretta - but that's the only difference...

Old 03-31-2010, 07:09 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

And to add to your list, I'd say handle a couple of H&K models. They're on the expensive side, but they're fine guns. One advantage to the H&K is that at least some of them are set up so they can either be decocked or put on safe. Just in case you ever change your mind about how you'd like to carry it.

May I ask why you're sold on 9mm? I'm not trying to steer you away from it. I've recommended the caliber to friends whose criteria were "good for self-defense and cheap to shoot."

Something else to remember about the choices people have been offering you is that they are all very good guns that hold their value well. So if you do change your mind about what you want, you'll be able to recoup most of what you have invested into whatever you do get.

Have fun shopping, and enjoy whatever you decide on!

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 03-31-2010, 07:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
May I ask why you're sold on 9mm?
9mm seems cheap enough to shoot, and I really want to shoot it a lot once I get it. I don't want anything larger because I'm pretty sure I don't have the best habits in firing yet. People have suggested getting a 22 to ensure that I'm firing correctly and not anticipating the kick, and I'm still debating picking up a cheap 22 just for that reason.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:24 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
And to add to your list, I'd say handle a couple of H&K models. They're on the expensive side, but they're fine guns. One advantage to the H&K is that at least some of them are set up so they can either be decocked or put on safe. Just in case you ever change your mind about how you'd like to carry it.
+1 on the HK if you have around $700 to spend--I think the USP has one of the best decocker/safeties made (Version 1), and their quality is second to none. The USP 9C would be a great choice, or the fullsize if it fits your hands OK.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"