Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Advice first handgun [9mm] (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/advice-first-handgun-9mm-25384/)

honeybadger 03-30-2010 09:41 PM

Advice first handgun [9mm]

Hi all,

Brand new to the forum, but looking for some advice. I'm not well-versed in firearms at all, basically consider me a n00b.

I'm looking for suggestions on what guns to try out for my first firearm. I want a 9mm and I'd really like to have a decock lever. Why do I want a decocker, you ask? Because I don't really want a safety and I like the "safety feature" of the decock lever. Yes I know my safety is my finger.

I was told to look at Ruger p89 but I couldn't find any of those anywhere around me. What I did find was a Ruger p95 but.. it just didn't feel right in my hand. I had to completely change my grip to reach the magazine release with my thumb. I didn't like that feel, but I liked the gun. I don't think I have tiny hands, but I don't have bear paws either. I'm about 5'9".

I know I need to go to a shop that rents them out and try out different ones, but I'd like to have an idea of what guns I should look at. Plus the only shop I've found around here doesn't have the greatest selection and honestly the rentals are pretty beat up and some don't fire where you want them to. It was hard for me to like something that wasn't working properly. I don't have the greatest aim, but I seem to be able to hit basically what I'm aiming at.

I'm willing to take any advice you can offer :)

Thanks.

lonyaeger 03-30-2010 09:46 PM

I have owned Sig Sauer pistols as well as a Beretta PX4 Storm....they had decocking levers.

NGIB 03-30-2010 09:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The biggest thing we need to know is your budget for this gun. The king of decocker guns is the Sig P series and in 9mm that would be the 226 or the 229 (add the P6, 225 and 228 if used is OK). If a Ruger P95 was a tad big for you, don't waste your time with a P89 as they are large and quite chunky - I had one for years. Another very nice choice is a CZ-P01 - very nice ergo's on this one. Here's a lousy picture of the P229 I picked up last night...

honeybadger 03-30-2010 10:04 PM

budget is not.. really an issue. I mean I don't much want to spend more than 700 bucks or anything..
like anything in this world, I'd like to keep cost to a minimum, but especially for this I'd not want to sacrifice quality

Missileman 03-30-2010 10:06 PM

A SIG Pro-9 (2022) is another choice--quite a bit cheaper than the 226/229, and it has replaceable backstraps to fit your hand size. It is polymer vs metal body, but otherwise a SIG. I like mine a lot and never any problems. The SIG 250 is also a choice, but I'm not as familiar with them.

NGIB 03-30-2010 10:18 PM

I have owned a SigPro as well and agree that they are fine guns. At your $700 budget, almost all of the nice 9mm guns are within your grasp...

sweeper22 03-30-2010 11:22 PM

Sig 226 & 229 (same guns, 229 being the compact version) are pretty great guns. They fit your description to a tee. Their MSRP is north of $800, but I've seen plenty of great ones for $600-$750. Even some brand new for around $700 now and then. If you won't be concealing it, the 226 is probably the better fit for most people.

Personally I prefer a thumb safety (as found on a 1911 or CZ, controlled much like a decocker), but to each his own...

ThorsHammer 03-30-2010 11:34 PM

Have you ever held a Beretta PX4 Storm? I checked the SIG's, and they didn't feel right in my hand, so I went with the PX4. It's performed flawlessly and I've put over 1,500 rounds through it at the range. Recoil is not an issue with this pistol since it has a rotating barrel. It was my first pistol as well, and I love the safety features. The decocker/safety was great when I first started learning about pistols. Now I am looking to buy a Kimber Pro Raptor II, which is a whole different beast altogether since it's a single action only pistol.

honeybadger 03-31-2010 12:16 AM

sounds like the Sigs are leading the pack
I've never fired a Baretta, I've only fired glocks and rugers in 9mm
Fired some higher calibers, but they are irrelavent

jimbobpissypants 03-31-2010 12:32 AM

Since cost is not an obstacle, GET A SIG. They are fantastic guns. This is from a guy who considers himself a 1911 guy. Hurts to say it but, any of my Sigs are more reliable than any of my 1911s. Accurate as hell, and very user friendly.
I recommend a 229 (double stack), or a 239 (single stack). Don't be afraid to buy a used Sig.
Don't forget to buy quality leather, if you intend to cc.
Good luck.