Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Accidental discharge possibility

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Default Accidental discharge possibility

OK, I just happened to see a video on YouTube where a guy had a discharge while chambering. It was some type of .32, I believe, and he'd been having troubles with FTFs so he was working on it in his shop. He racked a round and the gun discharged - no trigger involvement. During his follow up he explained that it appeared that the firing pin had gotten stuck in the energized position, made contact with the round and fired.

Anyone ever heard of this happening (outside of this video example)? If so, are there certain semi-autos that would be more prone to this or is this really just an isolated case of an under-maintained firearm causing problems?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-17-2013, 03:06 AM   #2

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

Sounds to me like he should've paid more attention and noticed the pin protruding before putting back together and chambering round.

Is it possible, entirely. Is it avoidable, entirely!

He caused the issue, not the gun. It was his backyard smithing that most likely attributed to this ND, not a malfunction of the gun. Though even if I were wrong, proper maintenance and cleaning and attention easily remedies the issue from existence.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 05-17-2013 at 03:09 AM.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:08 AM   #3

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

This kind of thing actually happens quite often. It is VERY nearly always the result of poor or improper maintenance/modification.

Any properly maintained modern firearm in good repair should serve safely and admirably, but this is also why you treat EVERY WEAPON AS IF IT IS LOADED. Always.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:13 AM   #4

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Slam firing in some semi auto handguns can occur. This is often due to broken firing pins. Competitive combat shooters are familiar with this problem. High primers are more often the reason. In IPSC rules are in place to penalize shooters who allow their guns to "Slam" fire.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:35 AM   #5

Liked 4573 Times on 2212 Posts
Likes Given: 1381

I saw the video... It was a smith working a customers old Colt Clone .32 ACP... one of the Spanish knock offs I believe.

Any semi auto can do this if not properly maintained... as mentioned above it is usually seen in "high round count" guns and really old guns.

The problem the smith was trying to correct was "failure to feed"... and the gun discharged when a live round finally slammed into the chamber.

A. On a gun that old he should have been using snap caps or at least pointing it into a sand or water barrel.

B. He'd already dissasembled, cleaned, and reassembeled it so obviously it can be an easy problem to miss.

Highlights one of the top safety rule about always keeping in pointed in a safe direction.

Tack

Old 05-17-2013, 05:09 AM   #6

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I have only had a couple ADs happen, and it was the guns fault. My SKS has slam fired about three times, before I fixed it, and I had my Marlin Glenfield model 10 go off while I was cocking it. The trigger was slightly out of place (I don't think the gun was ever taken apart), but thankfully it's fixed now and it has a lot "cleaner" trigger pull.
Every time, the gun was pointed in a safe direction, so that goes to show how important safety is.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

Why did he have live ammo in the area where he is working on a gun?

Couldn't he wait a couple of days for the snap caps he should have ordered to come in?

Because he was not more diligent on safety, I call that a negligent discharge.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Tackleberry1 Likes This 
Old 05-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #8

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1 View Post
I have only had a couple ADs happen, and it was the guns fault. My SKS has slam fired about three times, before I fixed it, and I had my Marlin Glenfield model 10 go off while I was cocking it. The trigger was slightly out of place (I don't think the gun was ever taken apart), but thankfully it's fixed now and it has a lot "cleaner" trigger pull.
Every time, the gun was pointed in a safe direction, so that goes to show how important safety is.
Sorry, NOT the gun's fault. May not have necessarily been YOUR fault, if they were used and new to you.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2009 Times on 1091 Posts
Likes Given: 724

As we say in aviation, every accident is normally caused by a string of seemingly independent and insignificant incidents that when put together result in a much larger problem.

The phrase goes something like that.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 05-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #10
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 883 Times on 588 Posts
Likes Given: 224

There are intended discharges, and negligent discharges. No shades of grey. Just black and white.

There are no accidental pregnancies either. Two people are either rubbing nasties, or they have their pants on. Plain and simple.

Some discharges are unfortunate, but predictable and always avoidable.

No such thing as an accident.