Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Accidental discharge possibility (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/accidental-discharge-possibility-90810/)

mikemc 05-17-2013 02:50 AM

Accidental discharge possibility

OK, I just happened to see a video on YouTube where a guy had a discharge while chambering. It was some type of .32, I believe, and he'd been having troubles with FTFs so he was working on it in his shop. He racked a round and the gun discharged - no trigger involvement. During his follow up he explained that it appeared that the firing pin had gotten stuck in the energized position, made contact with the round and fired.

Anyone ever heard of this happening (outside of this video example)? If so, are there certain semi-autos that would be more prone to this or is this really just an isolated case of an under-maintained firearm causing problems?

BeyondTheBox 05-17-2013 03:06 AM

Sounds to me like he should've paid more attention and noticed the pin protruding before putting back together and chambering round.

Is it possible, entirely. Is it avoidable, entirely!

He caused the issue, not the gun. It was his backyard smithing that most likely attributed to this ND, not a malfunction of the gun. Though even if I were wrong, proper maintenance and cleaning and attention easily remedies the issue from existence.

trip286 05-17-2013 03:08 AM

This kind of thing actually happens quite often. It is VERY nearly always the result of poor or improper maintenance/modification.

Any properly maintained modern firearm in good repair should serve safely and admirably, but this is also why you treat EVERY WEAPON AS IF IT IS LOADED. Always.

nitestalker 05-17-2013 03:13 AM

Slam firing in some semi auto handguns can occur. This is often due to broken firing pins. Competitive combat shooters are familiar with this problem. High primers are more often the reason. In IPSC rules are in place to penalize shooters who allow their guns to "Slam" fire. :(

Tackleberry1 05-17-2013 03:35 AM

I saw the video... It was a smith working a customers old Colt Clone .32 ACP... one of the Spanish knock offs I believe.

Any semi auto can do this if not properly maintained... as mentioned above it is usually seen in "high round count" guns and really old guns.

The problem the smith was trying to correct was "failure to feed"... and the gun discharged when a live round finally slammed into the chamber.

A. On a gun that old he should have been using snap caps or at least pointing it into a sand or water barrel.

B. He'd already dissasembled, cleaned, and reassembeled it so obviously it can be an easy problem to miss.

Highlights one of the top safety rule about always keeping in pointed in a safe direction.

Tack

Gizord1 05-17-2013 05:09 AM

I have only had a couple ADs happen, and it was the guns fault. My SKS has slam fired about three times, before I fixed it, and I had my Marlin Glenfield model 10 go off while I was cocking it. The trigger was slightly out of place (I don't think the gun was ever taken apart), but thankfully it's fixed now and it has a lot "cleaner" trigger pull.
Every time, the gun was pointed in a safe direction, so that goes to show how important safety is.

danf_fl 05-17-2013 10:06 AM

Why did he have live ammo in the area where he is working on a gun?

Couldn't he wait a couple of days for the snap caps he should have ordered to come in?

Because he was not more diligent on safety, I call that a negligent discharge.

trip286 05-17-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gizord1 (Post 1249388)
I have only had a couple ADs happen, and it was the guns fault. My SKS has slam fired about three times, before I fixed it, and I had my Marlin Glenfield model 10 go off while I was cocking it. The trigger was slightly out of place (I don't think the gun was ever taken apart), but thankfully it's fixed now and it has a lot "cleaner" trigger pull.
Every time, the gun was pointed in a safe direction, so that goes to show how important safety is.

Sorry, NOT the gun's fault. May not have necessarily been YOUR fault, if they were used and new to you.

ScottA 05-17-2013 12:14 PM

As we say in aviation, every accident is normally caused by a string of seemingly independent and insignificant incidents that when put together result in a much larger problem.

The phrase goes something like that. :o

AR10 05-17-2013 01:52 PM

There are intended discharges, and negligent discharges. No shades of grey. Just black and white.

There are no accidental pregnancies either. Two people are either rubbing nasties, or they have their pants on. Plain and simple.

Some discharges are unfortunate, but predictable and always avoidable.

No such thing as an accident.