You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

9mm vs 40 s&w

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7

It appears that last line was directed at me. All I did was merely extrapolate the quote I used form Andy Stanford, who is no internet "expert", he's a firearms training expert who is well recognized in the field.

If you read my last paragraph it says to get what he likes best.

That is indeed what I was saying. Just that the 19 was the same size as the 23.

The thing with the Army is a whole other story. They use ball ammo, and I will admit that if I was stuck with ball, I'd use a 45 too. 9mm ball is sub par at best.

That's another idea as well. I have a question though, when using the conversion barrel, do you have to switch the RSA also?

-Fred
I was actually agreeing with you...

I carry a 9mm specifically because of capacity. I think in a lot of people's eyes the 9mm is substandard as a defense cartridge, but I'm not so sure that is warranted. Many of the worlds armies use it, so the argument that it is substandard has always confused me....if I'm not mistaken, "parabellum" translates to "made for war", or something similar.

These are just my opinions.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #12

Liked 434 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I find the .40 to be too snappy to be comfortable to shoot, especially in a polymer frame gun.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51

I was actually agreeing with you...

I carry a 9mm specifically because of capacity. I think in a lot of people's eyes the 9mm is substandard as a defense cartridge, but I'm not so sure that is warranted. Many of the worlds armies use it, so the argument that it is substandard has always confused me....if I'm not mistaken, "parabellum" translates to "made for war", or something similar.

These are just my opinions.
Ah, gotcha. I kinda misread your original post. Yes, I believe it does translate to "made for war" or something to that effect.

I would agree to a certain extent with people when they say 9mm is a substandard defense round, however, I would throw in that most other handgun calibers are as well, even the venerable .45 ACP. The only exceptions would be some of the bigger magnum calibers.

When looked at across the board and compared to rifles, handguns just don't measure up. They're more or less all substandard, but since rifles are too big, and also illegal in most cases, to carry around, we compromise and carry handguns.

I used to carry a .45, but after doing quite a bit of reading and research, I switched it up and went with 9mm, a Glock 26. I am however planning on picking up an M&P9c so I'll have a couple different options.

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 01-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus
I find the .40 to be too snappy to be comfortable to shoot, especially in a polymer frame gun.
Same here. To me, they're totally uncomfortable to shoot. I put them up there with the Kel-Tec PF9 in terms of comfort.

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 01-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm a huge 9mm fan. I carry a G17 on my duty rig loaded with bonded pdx1 +p ammo. Have some of the rangers too that I'm thinking about giving a try. Get you some good ammo and learn to consistently put rounds where they need to be...don't worry about caliber, because it doesn't matter.

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 01-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I read a ballistics test done by "x" company and they were testing percentage of "one shot stopping power". The .40 s&w corbon jhp was the winner with 96% success rate for one hitter quitters. BTW they tested EVERYTHING..22 short all the way to 10mm and 44 mag. Second best was .357 mag, then I believe third was 9mm, with 89 % success with corbon and speer gold dot. Of course none of this matters if u can't hit what ur aiming at. Hope this helps in your decision .

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

Old 01-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #17

Liked 3380 Times on 1704 Posts
Likes Given: 478

Cut to the chase:

Get whichever one floats your boat. Hits with a 9 mm are better than misses with a howitzer...etc.
Caliber is less important than finding a platform you shoot well.

9mm vs 40 s&w - Semi-Auto Handguns
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand