Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 9mm vs 40 s&w

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
morrow12tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 31
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 9mm vs 40 s&w

I have a Hk usp 45 I love the gun I am looking for a carry gun and I have looked At the glock 23 and the cz 2075 rami you can get them both in 9 or 40 and yes that would be a glock 17 for the 9 I have shot them. Both but I don't know what Caliber I should get

__________________
morrow12tech is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 01-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FCross7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrow12tech View Post
yes that would be a glock 17 for the 9 I have shot them.
It would be a Glock 19, not 17.

I prefer 9mm over 40 S&W.

And you just opened up a huge can of worms.

-Fred
__________________

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

FCross7 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:54 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
morrow12tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 31
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Ok sorry a 19 why do you prefer 9 over 40

__________________
morrow12tech is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:10 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FCross7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,017
Default

I think Andy Stanford said it best:
"If shooting is required, don't expect miracles. Handgun bullets do not possess magical powers. They merely poke holes in things. The permanent wound track created by the bullet represents the primary means by which any projectile affects a living target... the majority of human tissue will snap back unscathed after the passing of a pistol bullet, except for that tissue actually touched by the projectile."

Andy Stanford, "Surgical Speed Shooting"

There is about a .05 inch difference between a 9mm and a 40 S&W. The difference in the two rounds is minimal at best, so I would opt for the higher capacity. For me, in a fighting pistol, be it a sub compact concealed carry or full size open carry or home defense pistol, there are two things I look for within a given pistol size. Capacity and how fast I can put rounds on target. Notice I said rounds, not a round, and I'm talking service calibers here, so I don't wanna here "Well how about a .22lr then?" from anyone.

If we look at what Andy said, size doesn't matter as much in pistol rounds as it does in rifle rounds because pistol velocities are too low to cause much damage other than the wound channel itself, thus making the slight extra diameter of the bigger round almost null. So again, capacity and being able to make fast accurate shots are the most important things to me.

The cheaper ammo is nice too. If you practice like you should, the difference in cost will make a huge difference in the long run.

The best advice I can give to you is go with what works better for you. The best thing you can do is rent them both and go with the one that feels better for you, because in the end, it's only your opinion that matters. What everyone else prefers should have no effect on your decision.

-Fred

__________________

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

FCross7 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:20 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dks7895's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Charles,Missouri
Posts: 465
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7
I think Andy Stanford said it best:
"If shooting is required, don't expect miracles. Handgun bullets do not possess magical powers. They merely poke holes in things. The permanent wound track created by the bullet represents the primary means by which any projectile affects a living target... the majority of human tissue will snap back unscathed after the passing of a pistol bullet, except for that tissue actually touched by the projectile."

Andy Stanford, "Surgical Speed Shooting"

There is about a .05 inch difference between a 9mm and a 40 S&W. The difference in the two rounds is minimal at best, so I would opt for the higher capacity. For me, in a fighting pistol, be it a sub compact concealed carry or full size open carry or home defense pistol, there are two things I look for within a given pistol size. Capacity and how fast I can put rounds on target. Notice I said rounds, not a round, and I'm talking service calibers here, so I don't wanna here "Well how about a .22lr then?" from anyone.

If we look at what Andy said, size doesn't matter as much in pistol rounds as it does in rifle rounds because pistol velocities are too low to cause much damage other than the wound channel itself, thus making the slight extra diameter of the bigger round almost null. So again, capacity and being able to make fast accurate shots are the most important things to me.

The cheaper ammo is nice too. If you practice like you should, the difference in cost will make a huge difference in the long run.

The best advice I can give to you is go with what works better for you. The best thing you can do is rent them both and go with the one that feels better for you, because in the end, it's only your opinion that matters. What everyone else prefers should have no effect on your decision.

-Fred
Well put Fred. I also prefer 9mm for the same reason. It's so much easier to shoot and practice makes perfect.
__________________

Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Browning SA-22 .22LR; Savage 93R17 GV .17HMR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger SR1911 .45ACP; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR

dks7895 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:41 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lastrebel70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 392
Liked 82 Times on 52 Posts

Default

First off the Glock 17 is a 9mm as is the Glock 19. And secondly I 2 pistols both in .40 and can shoot then quite well if I do say so myself. Bottom line is get what you like and can shoot well, because you will be the one doing the shooting not all the "experts" on the internet.

__________________
lastrebel70 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:47 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Magnum27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastrebel70
First off the Glock 17 is a 9mm as is the Glock 19. And secondly I 2 pistols both in .40 and can shoot then quite well if I do say so myself. Bottom line is get what you like and can shoot well, because you will be the one doing the shooting not all the "experts" on the internet.
I think they were pointing out that the 19 is the carry gun since it is the compact 9mm. I know that many will carry the 17 as well.
__________________
Magnum27 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:54 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chandler51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: somewhere in....,Oklahoma
Posts: 2,185
Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7
I think Andy Stanford said it best:
"If shooting is required, don't expect miracles. Handgun bullets do not possess magical powers. They merely poke holes in things. The permanent wound track created by the bullet represents the primary means by which any projectile affects a living target... the majority of human tissue will snap back unscathed after the passing of a pistol bullet, except for that tissue actually touched by the projectile."

Andy Stanford, "Surgical Speed Shooting"

There is about a .05 inch difference between a 9mm and a 40 S&W. The difference in the two rounds is minimal at best, so I would opt for the higher capacity. For me, in a fighting pistol, be it a sub compact concealed carry or full size open carry or home defense pistol, there are two things I look for within a given pistol size. Capacity and how fast I can put rounds on target. Notice I said rounds, not a round, and I'm talking service calibers here, so I don't wanna here "Well how about a .22lr then?" from anyone.

If we look at what Andy said, size doesn't matter as much in pistol rounds as it does in rifle rounds because pistol velocities are too low to cause much damage other than the wound channel itself, thus making the slight extra diameter of the bigger round almost null. So again, capacity and being able to make fast accurate shots are the most important things to me.

The cheaper ammo is nice too. If you practice like you should, the difference in cost will make a huge difference in the long run.

The best advice I can give to you is go with what works better for you. The best thing you can do is rent them both and go with the one that feels better for you, because in the end, it's only your opinion that matters. What everyone else prefers should have no effect on your decision.

-Fred
I would tend to believe that .40 or especially .45 would be better if I did ever need to use my weapon. The old story of the Army, when they used to use revolvers...they switched to .38, only to quickly switch back to the .45 after what was described as sub par "man stopping" power from the .38. Well, that story comes to mind.

But, since our sub-conscience mind tends to have our best interest (especially where self preservation is concerned) at the front of the line, I have to ask myself... "why, after all that blow about the Army and their .45, do I find myself 90% of the time with a 16+1 9mm stuffed in my rig?"

I think maybe it's because Andy Stanford did INDEED "say it best".

Just like FCross...
__________________
"Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Chandler51 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:44 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sweeper22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,232
Liked 185 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

Get a G23 (40sw compact) if you like the feel of a Glock. For about $120 you can add a Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel and shoot 9mm from the same gun. Heck, you could even add 357sig for another $120 if you like.

__________________
"The Future is Unwritten"
sweeper22 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FCross7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastrebel70 View Post
First off the Glock 17 is a 9mm as is the Glock 19. And secondly I 2 pistols both in .40 and can shoot then quite well if I do say so myself. Bottom line is get what you like and can shoot well, because you will be the one doing the shooting not all the "experts" on the internet.
It appears that last line was directed at me. All I did was merely extrapolate the quote I used form Andy Stanford, who is no internet "expert", he's a firearms training expert who is well recognized in the field.

If you read my last paragraph it says to get what he likes best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum27 View Post
I think they were pointing out that the 19 is the carry gun since it is the compact 9mm. I know that many will carry the 17 as well.
That is indeed what I was saying. Just that the 19 was the same size as the 23.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
I would tend to believe that .40 or especially .45 would be better if I did ever need to use my weapon. The old story of the Army, when they used to use revolvers...they switched to .38, only to quickly switch back to the .45 after what was described as sub par "man stopping" power from the .38. Well, that story comes to mind.

But, since our sub-conscience mind tends to have our best interest (especially where self preservation is concerned) at the front of the line, I have to ask myself... "why, after all that blow about the Army and their .45, do I find myself 90% of the time with a 16+1 9mm stuffed in my rig?"

I think maybe it's because Andy Stanford did INDEED "say it best".

Just like FCross...
The thing with the Army is a whole other story. They use ball ammo, and I will admit that if I was stuck with ball, I'd use a 45 too. 9mm ball is sub par at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Get a G23 (40sw compact) if you like the feel of a Glock. For about $120 you can add a Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel and shoot 9mm from the same gun. Heck, you could even add 357sig for another $120 if you like.
That's another idea as well. I have a question though, when using the conversion barrel, do you have to switch the RSA also?

-Fred
__________________

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"


Last edited by FCross7; 01-11-2012 at 01:19 PM.
FCross7 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes