9mm vs 40 cal - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 9mm vs 40 cal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #81
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

the size of the firearm and how it fits your hand will make all the difference in the world. lots of sub-compacts in 40 are are harder to control, but easier to conceal, so there is a trade-off. another trade-off is magazine capacity, 40 caliber pistols generally hold more than 45's. when it comes to pistols, everything is a compromise some where, size of the caliber, size of the pistol, or magazine capacity. IMO, carry the largest caliber you can use accurately and conceal effectively.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #82

I put more stock on placement ability than anything else. And in which case, it doesn't matter if you have a 9mm or a .40 cal.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #83

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliegirl View Post
I put more stock on placement ability than anything else. And in which case, it doesn't matter if you have a 9mm or a .40 cal.
It took me 6 minutes to finish reading your post because I thought that cat was gunna bite me.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:14 AM   #84

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 237

It's been a while since I've posted, been busy building on our home. Anyway, I've said this before and I'll say it again, I find that the Stoeger Cougar 40 that I own is not snappy to me. I'm sure that it's the rotary lock up that gives the recoil a straight back push rather than a barrel raise like most other pistols that makes the difference of perceived snappiness. Now if I owned a compact Khar .40 my guess is that it probably would be snappy. That being said, I'd love to own one for the reason it's far more concealable than my Cougar. Going back to the reason I bought a pistol in .40 S&W, at the time I bought it .45 ACP ammo was not available on the shelves otherwise I'd have gotten a 45.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #85

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

The recoil of a +P 9mm is = to a .40. Something to consider. You will not be "plinking" with 115gr range ammo for SD. So your accuracy is going in the ****ter. I train with 180gr 40 and thats what I carry so I have a reasonable idea of what It'll be if/when I use my weapon.

In god we trust, all others we monitor...

Old 05-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #86

I'm sure the poster of the original ? has long since made their decision. Bu tho those who are reading this to make their first handgun decision the answer is simply...

Go to a range that lets you barrow weapons to shoot. Fire as many models as you feel comfortable with, 9mm, .40, .45, 357...etc.... One shot from any of these even if you don't actually hit your assailant if you are not face to cace with them or they are bent on killing you they are most likely out of there.

For home defense, I can't imagine any burglar that doesn't know what the sound of a shotgun chambering sounds like and would want to hang around after hearing it. And with a shotgun you won't have to worry so much about accuracy.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY!!!!!

Make sure you educate EVERYONE in your home about SAFETY and how lethal your weapons are, and secure them properly for your situation. Gun Safe, under cabinet Bio Lock, trigger lock, Wall safe...whatever. Just keep it out of reach of those who aren't old enough to know better. If everyone who owned firearms did these last 2 actions there would be so many less accidental deaths from firearms.

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Old 05-06-2012, 04:50 AM   #87
PNW

I have historically been a die hard 1911 45 auto lover. Got the punch and old slabsides was always reliable (a nice Kimber for carry). However, I decided to try out the 40 cal in a Glock. I had a 9mm Glock full size and it was a reliable firearm. However, the feel and function never satisified like the 1911 and that is a personal thing that is unique to each person. What I liked about the 40 cal Glock subcompact was: a) easy to conceal, b) high capacity, c) very reliable, d) good knockdown and penetration power. What I did not like was: a) too small for my hand, b) grip shape did not work with my 1911 muscle memory, c) snapy 40 muzzle flip was hard to control when I had two fingers not even on the short grip (yes, I had the extension). I ended up getting rid of the gun and getting a pocket 9 and a full sized 9. The pocket nine is even smaller than the Glock but it works out better for me and the full size is an FN but has a different grip that fits my hand like a glove. After shooting 45 for years the 9 is like a tack driver. My original concerns about 9 were alleviated with the huge jump in defense ammo technology. Shooting a 147 grain golden saber or Hormad's FBI tested polymer tipped ammo gives plenty of punch, penetration and expansion. Now I have capacity, ease of handling, affordable shooting and something that I can rely on for civilian defense. That all said, I still enjoye 45 and shoot it as well. I train with all of these and I train continuously. I also run rounds at the weight of those that I use for defense loads. I have also shot the loads to be sure they cycle and that they perform on target like the rounds I am running in practice. I am always amazed at folks that complain that they are not going to shoot any test rounds of the defense ammo because it is too costly. I guess I figure my life is worth more than $25 and so I run ANY round in ANY gun I am goign to rely on to save my life.
Now, I have been shooting for years and shooting defensive pistol and three gun for a while now. I talk to a lot of ex cops, military and other enthusiasts with experience. In general, we all concur that placement is critical but that with modern defense loads, you really can't go wrong with any of these calibers. I do think that the 40 is a great round and it offers a nice compromise between a nine and a 45. The most important thing is that the user has a firearm that they can use effectively. If you have a pocket pistol that is shooting a hot 40 you need to be sure you can handle it. Many folks can and that is great. A 45 is hard to beat and a 9 with modern defense ammo is not problematic like historical FMJ issues in the past. I honestly think that with practice and proper ammo and shot placement, you will have a good defense handgun with any of these rounds. Just don't buy a poorly made firearm and use good ammo designed for the intended use and practice all the time. That is really important. Now, if I had to carry one gun for all purposes, I might choose a 40 because in the wilderness, you have a better chance of stopping a larger animail that might attack than with a nine. Yet, a 22 magnum will punch a bears skull so there are options. Read Massad Ayoobs article about the PD outside of Zanesville that had to put down the exotic animals. One cop shot a bear with a 40 and dropped him with a skull shot. Good job. One more to end the suffering. Also note that 5.56 required about an average of 20-30 hits to stop a large game animal like a tiger. Sad story but the only one to blame in that situation was the doofus that let all the animals loose. Cops did a good job.
I would encourage anyone considering a handgun that has to use one for all purposes to consider all that they would be relying on the gun to do. A 40 is a good general purpose gun for defense and mid size animals if you live in the country. A 45 has famous punch. The energy transfer is hard to argue with and only meth heads get up after taking a few of these in the chest. A 9 is nothing to sneeze at. There is a reason that the US adopted it as the new round although spec ops are using 45. The secret is having the right firearm, the right ammo and practice and practice and practice. Did I mention practice? If you can try out some firearms like another poster suggested, it is a good idea. That will give you some sense of what you might like or you might discover something. There are many excellent arms makers and many excellent round for defense. Don't get intimidated by gun snobs. While I would urge you to buy a quality firearm and ammo, I would also be happy with something rather than nothing if the ****F. Just keep in mind that if you are going to rely on this for your life or your loved ones lives, try not to cheap out and practice. Did I stress practice enough because that is what will build the muscle memory you will need to rapid response. A knife weilding psycho can close 20 feet in two seconds. Thus, learn to draw fast (providing you are legal to carry and carry.) One more thing- practice. Defensive pistol is a great way to exercise this. When you shoot while on the move you will realize that it is a bit more tricky than standing at the bench and shooting a target. Suddenly, paper plate size targets at twenty feet become really hard to hit until you build skill. That is what you need for the average self defense situation. If you can consistently hit a pie plate at 20 feet while moving, you are probably in good shape. Finally, I agree with WP925 about the universal sound of the rackign of a pump shotgun. However, keep in mind that people with altered states of consciousness like crack heads are not thinking rationally and may not respond appropriately to that sound (appropriate is haul butt). If you are going to rely on a long gun like a shotgun for home defense, that is a whole other discussion. There are a lot of factors to consider but a shotgun is a great home gun to have in addition to a pistol. I also want to reiterate what WP925 said about safety. Sadly, it is true that many kids are killed by playign with loaded guns. There are some people that are not responsible with firearms and as a gun owner, you must take responsibility for securing your firearm from unauthorized access. Here is soemthign to think about too. Even if you are a single guy who has a gun in your nightstand for home defense, you sure do not want to come home to someone in your house that found your gun and is still in there. A quick safe is a great idea for storing the weapon while you are away or other are around that you want to be sure are not goign to get to it. If you have kids, take them out to BLM land and shoot a watermelon with a high velocity hollow point. Have them go to the watermelon and ask them to put it back together again. When they realize that you can't make it whole again, you can remind them that this is why a gun is never to be played with or pointed in an unsafe direction. it is a really effective way to get the point across.
So remember, the best soultions for this caliber delimma are to get what works for you the best while meeting all your needs/anticipated needs and practice. I woudl also encourage you to practice between practice sessions.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #88

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

lotsa reasons to carry a 9mm these days, maybe even a .380.

i'm an old .45 acp guy...make a big hole, let a lot of air in and a lot of blood out...results generally fatal. elmer keith's philosophy... but bullet and powder technology progressed. today, 9mm's perform like .45's 10 years ago. we now can carry lighter arms in smaller calibers superior to those of the past.

budman

ignorance is fixable, stupidity is forever...

Old 05-10-2012, 02:39 AM   #89

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman46
lotsa reasons to carry a 9mm these days, maybe even a .380.

i'm an old .45 acp guy...make a big hole, let a lot of air in and a lot of blood out...results generally fatal. elmer keith's philosophy... but bullet and powder technology progressed. today, 9mm's perform like .45's 10 years ago. we now can carry lighter arms in smaller calibers superior to those of the past.
Old guys are cool. If the logic about the 9mm is true, just think what the modern 45 can do.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:09 AM   #90
dax

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
I have shot both and use a 45 auto for my action pistol and house gun. I am also struggling with the 9 or 40 issue for a new piece. I like the cost, lighter weight, wide availability of the 9 and the added power of the 40. However, I find the snap of the 40 to be more snappy than the 45. Having been shot in the leg with a corbon 40 cal point blank, I am lucky to be alive. It penetrated well and after it blew off the top of my thigh, it traveled down my leg to my knee and stopped. The round mushroomed out and I am very fortunate it did not puncture the femoral since it rode it all the way down. Nothing in my life hurt as bad as that bullet wound. However, even after being shot, I was able to run down a fligth of stairs and get help thanks to adrenaline. Modern 9mm ammo has great improved performance while the 40 being hotter can be more useful if you want an all in one carry, house and hiking trail gun. It all depends on what your needs are. The 9 being a NATO round is cheap and available. That said, many special forces folks are goign to 45 again and the JCP bid was for a 45. I love the 45. I just want something a bit smaller and easier to conceal but bigger than the 32 or 380 (which with the special super hot ammo is nothing to sneeze at). I read a case of a guy who shot a dusted junkie point blank 7 times in the chest with a 45 with CCI lawman (flying ashtray) and the guy ran several blocks before he bled out. I have heard of 9mm's being emptied on a meth head with no effect and then there is me taking a point blank 40 in a kill zone and being able to fly down a flight of stairs and survive. However, ANYTHING between 9 and 45 in the head or neck is likely to be a kill shot (zombies it has to be a double tap to the head). Regardless of what you get, if you do not practice with it at the range with ammo and at home (with it empty please) to draw, it will not do much good for a cc weapon. I carried cocked and locked for years with no incidents but as I am getting older and all, I want to lighten my load and have the decocker and DA features which are not on my compact 45. I am looking at the FN. The FN Tactical I have is my favorite and holds 15 rounds of 45. However, not a real concealment weapon. I am looking at the 9mm version but then there is that nagging feeling about the 40 cal extra power. Then again, I will enjoy the nine more if I am not shooting the 45 as I am not fond of the 40's sharp snap. Funny since I shoot a 44 mag and other hot rounds. However, that 40 is just a bit uncomfortable to me. It could be the Glock subcompact which is causing the problem since I have big hands and no place for my last two fingers. The FN fits me like a glove and has a nice feel. Now I am thinking it might be a good 40 cal since it fits so nicely. Crud, I can't make up my mind and I can't afford both. Those lottery tickets I purcahsed were defective. None of them won. So many guns, so little money
I cc a Glock 19 with both regular and +P 9mm ammo. Many years ago, in the pre-Glock cetaceus period, I cc a .38/.357 S&W Model 19 with .38 reg, .38 +P and .357 ammo. Of all .38 is the caliber I perform the best. I've fired .40, .45 and .45 long Colt. Of all .40 is my worst performance. My surgeon friend attends to gun shot victims on a regular basis. They come with bullet wouds of all kinds with the .40 being the less frequent, these go the morgue. He says .40 wounds are devastating. Despite of this, I cc a round in a pistol I can place the bullets in a tight group between the two eyes and cardiac chest area of target. A pistol and bullet I can shoot and follow up shots with ease and fast target reaquisition, Glock 19/ 9mm. If I can' hit the target first time and second time real fast, what's the use. If I fail to hit first and remove or disable the target, I could be the one going to the morgue. I have no use for .40 rounds flyig all over the place. Hitting the target asap is te parameter to consider first and foremost.

That is for cc. For the home, be it .38 or 9mm, low recoil ammo is wat I load with, be it the Glock 19 or the good old faithful S&W Model 19 revolver.

True, .40 wounds are devastating as reported by my surgeon friend. However, he also reports thatmost crime scene bullets are the cheap FMJ ones where most victims where intercepted with a shower of lead. The scenario you pack for is one where you must repeal an attack if you can at all. I bet my 9mm +P hollow points also pack a devastatig punch, which I can handle best. .40 is a tough bull to ride in my hands. For me, after I have practiced and shot all calibers available for ccw firearms for decades, 9mm high capacity ready to shoot, no nonsense, aim, pull the trigger and shoot Glock 19 is where it is at. You will get as many recommendatios as there are stars in the sky about caliber and handguns. Only you can tell what works for you for specific scenario.

Last edited by dax; 05-12-2012 at 12:30 AM.