Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 9mm vs 40 cal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hideit View Post
bigger supply of ammo
Really? Could have fooled me. . . The shelves of every store I know have been loaded with .40 cal ammo and slim with 9mm for at least 6 months now.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:15 PM   #72

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

9mm vs .40,

IMO both are good rounds.
I do agree that bigger is normally better in a self defense situation, but other than that, it depends on what you want the gun for.
Generally 9mm magazines have slightly more ammo capacity than .40.
Ammo is readily available for both in most places, although 9mm may be cheaper.
9mm is less recoil, therefore less scary to people who are new to shooting.
I have owned a .40 and liked it, I will have another one day.
I don't have a 9mm, but I have shot them, I would like to eventually have one.

I guess the point this brings me to is, they both have their pros and cons.
Save up and buy both

Old 10-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #73

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You will love the XD40. I have a couple of 9s a couple of 40s and a couple of .45s. I love them all, but you just need to get comfortable with them. Get comfortable before you buy them. I like to be positive on all guns, but there are a couple that were promoted here that have horrible triggers. Get to a range and try different brands after you buy your XD40.

Since you are new to handguns, read and practice your skills with dry fire and look to the pros for advice. I bought books watched tapes, etc. after I got my first pistol. I got good, but never great. Then I followed some tips from Phil Straighter on ShootingUSA. Made a lot of difference. With your relatively soft shooting XD40 you will drive your own pistol to good accuracy habits. Enjoy!

Dave

Old 10-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #74

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

.40S&W.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
The best thing to do when purchasing a Glock is to follow the directions in the included manual which states not to use reloads in the Glock. (
I could be wrong here but I am fairly sure that the legal teams of ALL firearms manufacturers have something to this effect in ALL their owners manuals.

Kind of known as a CYA clause. Lawyers suck sometimes, scratch that, always.

You can shoot reloads in a glock, have been for years. 2 primary rules to follow:
1. use full length sizing dies on your brass.
2. use jacketed amo.

the 9mm, as it has been told to me, will bounce off a windshield where the .40 has excellent stopping power. Just a bit lighter than the .45 acp.

Most PD's switched from the .38 special/.357 mag to the semi autos chambered in .40 s&w for the stopping power AND the smaller sized frames it allowed for the female hand.

Most PD's saw the stopping power of the .45 acp from it's use in the military and loved it. They all wanted to go .45 acp, but the frames, as seen in the glock 45's (except the G36) are so massive that may of the female cops could not control the gun as well as the .40's. So in an effort to standardize the duty caliber so officers could literally use the magazines off a fallen officer, most PD's went with the .40 S&W.

The reason the US military switched to the 9mm M9 was due to NATO pressure to have all NATO forces carry the same amo, we were the odd man out so we had to switch.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:08 PM   #76

Default Ruger LC9, backed up by a Judge

went for the 9mm Ruger LC9 for CC, and a Tarus Judge (.45 AND 410) for self defense, wild dogs, and coyote's... Really can't go wrong with 9mm, .40, or .45...

Old 08-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #77

Liked 1438 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 1206

Default My .02

Excuse my two cents here.

I understand effectiveness comes from bullet placement. Proper placement comes from practice. Which would you rather fire hundreds of times, the 9mm or the .40? Or more precisely; how strong is the wrist on your weak hand?

(I think this comes before any $ concerns.)

Last edited by Vincine; 08-30-2011 at 02:05 AM.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #78

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Excuse my two cents here.

I understand effectiveness comes from bullet placement. Proper placement comes from practice. Which would you rather fire hundreds of times, the 9mm or the .40? Or more precisely; how strong is the wrist on your weak hand?

(I think this comes before any $ concerns.)
Makes sense to me, but then the money is very important, too. I do love to burn powder!!

Dave

Old 09-02-2011, 01:21 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1 View Post
id rather have a .45 cal but id settle with a .40 cal in a self defense situation, but i do like to go plink some cans some times with my 9mm.
I went with the .45 as a defensive weapon (flying ashtray, what can I say) and picked up a 9mm to use at the range and as a plinker ($9 bucks per 50, what can I say)

Inventory:
AK-74
M1911-A1
CETME .308 Sporter
Sig SP2022
Ruger 10/22
Hi-Standard Duramatic M-101
H&R 1874 12 Guage
Mosin Nagant M91/30
K-98 Mauser
Ithaca M-66

“It's too easy sometimes to give in to despair, unless, of course, you’re talking about politics, in which case you don't really have any other option.” Mike Littwin

Old 12-12-2011, 06:00 AM   #80
PNW

Default 9mm or 40 cal

I have shot both and use a 45 auto for my action pistol and house gun. I am also struggling with the 9 or 40 issue for a new piece. I like the cost, lighter weight, wide availability of the 9 and the added power of the 40. However, I find the snap of the 40 to be more snappy than the 45. Having been shot in the leg with a corbon 40 cal point blank, I am lucky to be alive. It penetrated well and after it blew off the top of my thigh, it traveled down my leg to my knee and stopped. The round mushroomed out and I am very fortunate it did not puncture the femoral since it rode it all the way down. Nothing in my life hurt as bad as that bullet wound. However, even after being shot, I was able to run down a fligth of stairs and get help thanks to adrenaline. Modern 9mm ammo has great improved performance while the 40 being hotter can be more useful if you want an all in one carry, house and hiking trail gun. It all depends on what your needs are. The 9 being a NATO round is cheap and available. That said, many special forces folks are goign to 45 again and the JCP bid was for a 45. I love the 45. I just want something a bit smaller and easier to conceal but bigger than the 32 or 380 (which with the special super hot ammo is nothing to sneeze at). I read a case of a guy who shot a dusted junkie point blank 7 times in the chest with a 45 with CCI lawman (flying ashtray) and the guy ran several blocks before he bled out. I have heard of 9mm's being emptied on a meth head with no effect and then there is me taking a point blank 40 in a kill zone and being able to fly down a flight of stairs and survive. However, ANYTHING between 9 and 45 in the head or neck is likely to be a kill shot (zombies it has to be a double tap to the head). Regardless of what you get, if you do not practice with it at the range with ammo and at home (with it empty please) to draw, it will not do much good for a cc weapon. I carried cocked and locked for years with no incidents but as I am getting older and all, I want to lighten my load and have the decocker and DA features which are not on my compact 45. I am looking at the FN. The FN Tactical I have is my favorite and holds 15 rounds of 45. However, not a real concealment weapon. I am looking at the 9mm version but then there is that nagging feeling about the 40 cal extra power. Then again, I will enjoy the nine more if I am not shooting the 45 as I am not fond of the 40's sharp snap. Funny since I shoot a 44 mag and other hot rounds. However, that 40 is just a bit uncomfortable to me. It could be the Glock subcompact which is causing the problem since I have big hands and no place for my last two fingers. The FN fits me like a glove and has a nice feel. Now I am thinking it might be a good 40 cal since it fits so nicely. Crud, I can't make up my mind and I can't afford both. Those lottery tickets I purcahsed were defective. None of them won. So many guns, so little money