9mm vs 40 cal - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 9mm vs 40 cal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm having the same dilemma as the OP, can't decide if I want 9mm or .40 S&W...thinking of going with the sigma cause it's in my price range, sister has one in 9mm and it shoots pretty decent.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:12 AM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
I heard that .357 SIG ammo is expensive as hell.
As a defensive round, it's received strong reviews. It's also about as accurate a handgun load as you'll find. I believe Secret Service uses .357sig when stateside. Hollowpoints can be had for about the same price as .40sw, but range ammo can be spendy. The bigger issue can be getting your hands on it as it's not well stocked most places. I've ordered all of mine.

Since ammo is a bit of an issue with this caliber, it makes sense to buy a gun that can shoot both calibers (.357sig & .40sw) with a simple barrel change. For most guns that extra barrel can be had for around $150.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:18 PM   #53

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Very true. The .357 sig is an awesome pistol cartridge, but I would only buy a gun that would accept both the .357 sig and .40 cal barrels. The sig is just too rare and expensive to shoot, to be your only option for a gun.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:45 PM   #54

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Very true. The .357 sig is an awesome pistol cartridge, but I would only buy a gun that would accept both the .357 sig and .40 cal barrels. The sig is just too rare and expensive to shoot, to be your only option for a gun.
The magazines for my Stoeger Cougar 40S&W are from Beretta and are marked for .357 Sig/40 S&W. The reason I went with 40 S&W is it's a very good round and locally ammo for it is often available in large amounts when 9mm. and .45 ACP may not even be on the shelf. .45 ACP ammo is just now beginning to show up in larger amounts but it's hard telling how long that will last considering Californias' new ammo laws and Southern Oregons proximity to those coming up here to curcumvent dealing with that crappy law.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:06 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
...considering Californias' new ammo laws and Southern Oregons proximity to those coming up here to curcumvent dealing with that crappy law.
I was down in Medford a few weeks back and WM's shelves were overflowing with Federal Champion 40sw for $12.47/box. Sportsman's Warehouse also had a fair amount of ammo.

I've seen a small but constant supply of 9mm, 40sw, even 45acp since mid-summer. 357sig is quite a bit rarer, and unfortunately more expensive for ball.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:33 AM   #56

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
I was down in Medford a few weeks back and WM's shelves were overflowing with Federal Champion 40sw for $12.47/box. Sportsman's Warehouse also had a fair amount of ammo.

I've seen a small but constant supply of 9mm, 40sw, even 45acp since mid-summer. 357sig is quite a bit rarer, and unfortunately more expensive for ball.
I've only found the Federal Champion ammo one time at the Grants Pass Wally. Since I reload that's a great price. You must have just caught the shelves being full just after they stocked them because most of the time when I come into WM their shelves are next to empty.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:05 PM   #57

Default Me and my 9mm

My Ruger P95 9mm and I (lovingly referred to as Ruger) have enjoyed many an hour now at the local firing range. Ammo is sometimes hard to come by, and I have had to settle for less than ideal ammo (anyone else find Wolf ammo to be dirty and more prone to misfiring?) but it's economically priced. 12.99 for 50 Great for practice. For defense, I have the 9mm Luger 124gr Hydra-shok JHP. That's a bit pricier (30.00 for 25)

I've been very happy with the 9mm, easy to handle, not too much recoil, accurate and ammo seems to be much less expensive than .40

Para bellum!!

Proud NRA Member! #172327456

Lansing, MI
Ruger P95PR and counting...

Old 10-31-2009, 05:58 PM   #58

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I agree that the 9mm gets a nod for less recoil and easier handling, but a good .40 cal or even .45 isn't too much different, especially if you are used to shooting wheel guns (like everyone should). It seems that this thread has formed a trend towards defending the 9mm in some aspects in order to make up for its lesser stopping capabilities. I know there are ballistics that show some 9mm cartridges that have as good of a penetrating wound channel as the .40. I also know some great, knowledgeable shooters that now only carry 9mm and used to carry .40 or .45 because of the lesser recoil.

However, the .40 cal is still very comfortable and easy to handle and there is never any doubt about what it can do. I usually don't carry (on my person, but still in the car) any semis. This is mainly because I trust a wheelgun and my comfort level is greater with them, but also because of the limitations of a semi in regards to its power. One exception to this would be the .45. I have also shot .45s that had lesser recoil that my .40.

The .40 cal. Is the absolute smallest cartridge I would use for a primary self defense weapon. I've seen the ballistics, but common sense tells me that the bigger cartridge usually wins. Also, the .40 cal is still fairly new in comparison to the 9mm and I have seen prices go down and availability go up in the last 6 months.

Al in all its a matter of what YOU feel comfortable with.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:04 AM   #59

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Best for zombies

Actually the best round against a zombie is a 22 according to the novel World War Z and the Zombie Survival Guide. But that is besides the point. I am also new at handguns and myself looking into a 9mm Sig p226. I have always wanted a Sig. My friends say that I should get the .40 instead because of the stopping power.

My answer to that is I can put 10 rounds in a 5" circle at 15 yards with the 9 and think that is stopping power enough. I also do not see myself shooting at a person, really just like going spending an afternoon at the range. It is a little cheaper by only a few bucks but it all adds up. I am still weighing my choices.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:43 AM   #60

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Both are fine rounds. The 40 will have a snappier recoil and it does cost a little more. But both are effective as defense rounds. Modern ammo manufacturing has come to a point that you really can't go wrong with either. I personally do not carry a 9mm for defense situations. But that has more to do with the type of weapons I like to carry. I do have a 226 Sig Sauer and I wouldn't feel underpowered with it. But I would rather have one of my 1911's or maybe my 229 Sig in 40. I just shoot them better.