9mm vs 40 cal - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 9mm vs 40 cal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 12:28 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This questions will be argued until Jesus comes back..... 9 vs 40 vs 45 vs 700 nitro express.....Shoot both, try different firearms and pick which one you are most comfortable with. It doesn't matter how big the gun is if you can't hit the board side of a barn with it, it's an expensive rock. Here is what I would do and what I did when making this same choice. I studied both rounds, I fired both rounds from the same gun and I got various opinions from people I talked to. Both are good rounds, both can be effective self defense rounds, it's your preference. I decided to go with a 9mm because I didn't like the higher pressures of the 40 and I was hoping I could get my wife to step up to a 9 from her 38(it didn't happen).
That said, I already had a 45 at home and I carry a 45.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #22

Don't hesitate to make 45ACP your first gun. It is easy to control and works at much much lower pressures than 40 or 9mm.

There are good reasons that it is so popular. Fun to shoot, very accurate, and great for self defense.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

.45 ammo is twice as expensive as 9mm and twice as hard to find.

Don't let the high pressures bother you, they have much higher velocity and the guns that shoot them are made to handle the pressure.

Like someone sad, you'll mostly be shooting at the ranges not at bad guys. If you do have to shoot a bad guy 9mm and .40 have rounds more than capable of handling the situation. The bad guy won't be upset that you killed him with a smaller round.

Last edited by Gojubrian; 09-06-2009 at 04:13 PM. Reason: misspelling

Old 09-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #24

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

XD/XDm .40 S&W would be, actually was, my choice but I also keep a Beretta 92 for range use and plinking.

The recoil on the XD is sharp but not overpowering so you can get back on target quickly and the gun itself is so sweet to shoot.

In fact, after shooting that XD the S&W Sigma will feel like a cheap imitation of a handgun to you. Sorry Sigma fans but that's my opinion.

Be sure to check out Glock and Sig Sauer models, a bit pricey but rock solid reliable.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #25

9mm=.355 cal.-130gr jhp=1150fps, energy=381ft lbs

40cal=10mm-135grjhp=1350fps, energy=546ft lbs

10mm=.400cal-135gr jhp=1420fps, energy551ft lbs

357 mag=.357cal-125gr jsp=1500fps,energy624ft lbs

45 acp=.451=185gr jhp=100fps, energy410ft lbs

Old 09-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #26

Default Made to handle the pressure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
.45 ammo is twice as expensive as 9mm and twice as hard to find.

Don't let the high pressures bother you, they have much higher velocity and the guns that shoot them are made to handle the pressure.

Like someone sad, you'll mostly be shooting at the ranges not at bad guys. If you do have to shoot a bad guy 9mm and .40 have rounds more than capable of handling the situation. The bad guy won't be upset that you killed him with a smaller round.
I don't know why I am getting into this but you must have never heard of the Glock Kaboom. The chambers do not fully support the high pressure round. It is a well known problem. Just google glock unsupported chamber.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:09 PM   #27

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I hate Glocks with a passion, but your statement isn't completely factual.

The unsupported chamber is only a small part of the issue with the .40 S&W kabooms. The unsupported (or looser) chamber is designed into the Glock for better reliability. The main problem comes from reloading rounds for the Glock. You get faulty reloads, and because of the less support around the casing, the round literally blows up into the chamber area/grip of the Glock (takes the path of less resistance), causing the kabooms that everyone hears about.

The Glock .40 cal pistols are perfectly safe to fire, and people that purchased them need not worry about their Glock. The best thing to do when purchasing a Glock is to follow the directions in the included manual which states not to use reloads in the Glock. There has been no confirmed cases of .40 caliber Glocks going kablooey with regular factory loads.

I'm hoping this thread will not turn into another Glock argument thread because of this statement.......

Old 09-08-2009, 03:41 AM   #28
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Mapnapkin, This sounds like it will be your first pistol and going to a good range (as you have already expressed) is a great start. Honestly for your first pistol I would go with 9mm and get the basics squared away. The 9mm is a good defensive round, easy to find in your area, easy on recoil, fun to shoot and learn with. Bigger is sometimes better but the spread between 9mm and 40 S&W is a sliding scale in reverse for a new shooter. I expect if you find a quality 9mm your needs will be covered and with training and practice you will either decide the 9mm is all you need or you will jump up to 45.

I own all three calibers and carry a 45 almost all the time but to get there it was the 9mm that I learned to shoot well with a semi auto pistol. It's truly a good place to start.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #29

and just to add a note, the current reloading manuals instruct reloaders to reduce the ''starting'' loads by 10%. on the 40s&w and that is not just for glocks.
the man that says a 9mm is not deadly has never been shot by one.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #30

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

The real problem with Glocks (or any polygonal "rifled" barrels) are you must shoot jacketed ammo. Shooting lead or cast bullets is NOT recommended...