Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 9mm vs 40 cal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2009, 06:36 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

yeah, definitely go with the .40 cal over the 9mm.
You won't regret it. I own two .40 cal handguns.
Just my opinion: go with the S&W M&P series instead of the sigma series.
M&P series are better quality and well worth the price difference.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #12

I honestly don't know that much about the .40 S&W. I can tell you that a .40 S&W will have better stopping power though as it is a heavier bullet. 9mm is going to be more accurate. I would think 9mm and .40 S&W would have good availability. They are pretty common caliber in many pistols. I would also say that 9mm is going to have less recoil. In my honest opinion, people have always told me before buying a pistol, go out to the range and try out a few and see what I like.

Sad to hear you aren't going with a .45 as your first, but I hear XD comes highly recommended. Let us all know what you get and good luck.

Last edited by hogger129; 09-05-2009 at 10:12 AM.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:16 AM   #13

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

You really need to shoot these and make your decisions then. I find the .40 very "snappy" to shoot with lots of muzzle rise - especially in poly guns. The 9mm is very tame in comparison. The .40 would get a +1 in terms of "stopping power" but TBH, no semi-auto handgun cartridge is a guaranteed one shot stop.

Many folks buy a .40 for their first gun and I see a lot of them for sale soon after as they are not nearly as "fun" to shoot as a 9mm. I have 2 .40s, but both are large 5" barrel guns so the snappy recoil is more manageable.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from the Sigma. While they're cheap & generally reliable - they have the worst trigger of any gun I've ever shot...

Old 09-05-2009, 11:56 AM   #14

Mapnapkin - I also noticed that you said you might get a 1911 later on down the road. If you really want a 1911, but don't want a .45 right away, I wouldn't give up on the 1911 series just yet. I'm sure you can get them in other calibers besides .45ACP. I even thought Kimber made a couple 1911s that were made for 9mm. I'm not an expert on the subject of non-.45 1911s, so perhaps if someone else could chime in on it, that would be very helpful.

Not sure how closely it resembles the 1911 design, but check out a Browning Hi-Power. Who knows? You may like it.

And as I previously mentioned, the XD comes highly recommended. Give her a try. Good luck.

Last edited by hogger129; 09-05-2009 at 12:03 PM.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #15

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I have the Sigma .40 and love it for what it is. It's like a Glock but the ergonomics are much better.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #16

One observation I have is over the past year or so .40 ammo seems to be more readily available than 9mm, at least in my area. As others have pointed out, it is a little more expensive though.

We have two full-size .40 handguns in our household. In general, .40 is a higher energy round than 9mm, although you can get some very high energy 9mm rounds. Given the higher energy there will be a bit more recoil, but I'll tell you that neither my wife or myself find this to be a problem.

If you are really concerned about recoil, and you aren't going to be carrying around all day, you can always buy a heavier gun. Generally that would mean looking at a metal frame gun rather than a plastic frame gun. The recoil forces will be the same, but the heavier gun won't move as much.

One other thought about 9mm vs. .40 is that with at least some guns (Sig for instance) you can take a .40 and put a 9mm barrel and magazine in it and shoot 9mm. Can't do that the other way around though.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 09-06-2009, 06:11 AM   #17

Thanks everyone for the info, its been very helpful. This forum is excellent.
I still have a month before I'm buying so I have some time to go the range.
Champions in Kent, WA is the range in my area and they have a couple XD's for rent. I am going to try them out.
I handle a 1911 Dan Wilson there and the trigger was very nice, it was just a dry fire but I definitely want one.

I've been scared of guns for ever then I finally shot one a couple of months ago.
I figured I need to stop being a pansie.. now I'm hooked.

Just need to test out the two calibers.

thanks

Old 09-06-2009, 12:10 PM   #18

Mapnapkin, another thing I have always worried about too, especially if it's for conceal carry or home defense, is if you do come to the time when you need to use your weapon, is that 9mm is going to be more justifiable in court vs, say, a .45 because there are those liberal pricks who say that you didn't need to respond with a bullet of that size because it's too much force. Maybe someone else can help out on that point.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #19

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You state that you don't know much about the .40S&W BUT YET you turn right around and say a 9mm is going to be more accurate. I'd SURE like to know how you came to that conclusion. Have you even shot .40s much? How is the 9mm cartridge/gun more accurate than the .40S&W? It's more of parts fitting & gun quality than the cartridge itself has anything to do with it. Perhaps you meant the 9mm is easier to shoot accurately in rapid followup shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
I honestly don't know that much about the .40 S&W. I can tell you that a .40 S&W will have better stopping power though as it is a heavier bullet. 9mm is going to be more accurate. I would think 9mm and .40 S&W would have good availability. They are pretty common caliber in many pistols. I would also say that 9mm is going to have less recoil. In my honest opinion, people have always told me before buying a pistol, go out to the range and try out a few and see what I like.

Sad to hear you aren't going with a .45 as your first, but I hear XD comes highly recommended. Let us all know what you get and good luck.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 09-06-2009, 12:24 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I would just look for something that's comfortable to shoot and if you're carrying, something that's comfortable to carry and feels good in the hand and not be too concerned about the caliber. If push comes to shove and you actually have to defend yourself, the 9mm or the 40 will do fine. The chances of actually having to use it are slim to none, and you'll do better finding something that you can have some fun with at the range and is inexpensive to shoot. I've had a CC for 7 years and have never needed to pull my gun, and I live in the metro. If you do allot of shooting, the 9mm is the way to go because it is less expensive to shoot. Either caliber is great.

If you ever really need to use your gun in a situation under stress, just getting any ammo on target is a challenge!