9mm vs. 40
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 9mm vs. 40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 9mm vs. 40

I'm looking at picking up my first handgun. I will be carrying it as well as using it for shooting at the range. The size of the gun isn't an issue seeing as I am 6 foot 6 and 450 pounds. I'm also deciding between the S&W M&P and the Springfield Armory XDm. I'm looking for opinions from seasoned shooters.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2011, 09:59 PM   #2

So are you looking for input on the gun, the caliber, or both?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 08-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Like I tell any new shooter or anyone new to firearms, pick what feels the best to you, what is most comfortable to you. Go to some local gunshops/gunshows and compare the two and others aswell (if you want).

My opinion on your two choices is, I would choose the Springfield XDm. I find the Springfield XDm more attractive than the M&P, I love the fact it has a grip saftey instead of a thumb saftey, it has a multiple backstrap system, and it just feels better to ME. Like I said compare the two and see which feels the best to you and then see which has the features you want/like.

For 9mm versus .40, I would choose the .40 personally, because I like to have more punch than the 9mm. If you have some local ranges with rental programs I would suggest you try out the two calibers (and guns if possible). The 9mm offers a little higher magazine capacity, softer recoil, and is a little cheaper. The .40 offers more punch, but costs a little in magazine capacity and has more recoil.

If you don't plan on shooting much I recommend starting with the 9mm, but if you plan on shooting a lot or a fair amount I recommend the .40.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 08-16-2011, 10:37 PM   #4

Liked 429 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 34

When I first started buying pistols, I bought into the whole "9mm is a sissy caliber/.40s are so much better" argument that a lot of people would give. I bought a lot of different polymer frame .40s. After my taste in guns and calibers became more refined and I started noticing some of the more subtle differences, I found that I didn't care for the snappy recoil of the .40 caliber in a polymer frame. Nothing wrong with it, I just didn't really like it. I sold every .40 caliber gun I owned. To this day, I don't own a single .40 caliber pistol. Not to say there is anything wrong with them, I just enjoy shooting other calibers MUCH more.

My primary carry is a Ruger SR9c loaded with some Double Tap +P hollow points that are guaranteed to give anyone a bad day. And if I want more power, I will switch to a .357, a .45, or maybe even a 10mm if I'm feeling frisky. The .40 caliber gets passed over and I never even notice it's missing!

Old 08-17-2011, 12:08 AM   #5

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

+ 1 on the 9mm.

When you find a gun/caliber that you are good with the water cooler talk about size matters goes right out the window.

Two years ago I checked the Browning Hi-Power off my bucket list and found my now-favorite carry piece!

This vintage BHP took off about 15% of the time needed for lethal double tap hits. It also turned what was a waste of time and ammo Mozambique Drill into a serious triple tap skill.

And as far as the 10mm Lite;

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 08-17-2011 at 03:03 AM.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:17 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I need to get a Browning Hi Power one of these days . It just so happens there's a gunshow in my area this weekend, and maybe I'll find a vintage one for a good price (very hopefull)

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 08-17-2011, 01:13 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5659 Times on 2956 Posts
Likes Given: 374

choice tween 40 and 9mm... 9mm hands down. both rounds are very close balistically and they are gonna put pretty much the same size hole in the target. would rather have more capacity and better follow up shot speed with the 9mm.

as for sw or xd... as said above grip safety is a huge plus. i would personally pick the xd

ive owned 9mm in the past and may again sometime but i see no point to the 40sw. to me the 40sw is a solution in search of a problem.

i dont own a xd or a sw of any type but i have shot them before the xd just feels better for a striker gun.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-17-2011, 01:52 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Get the .40, it's bigger. You're a big boy so you can handle it.
Better yet, get the xdm 45!

Old 08-17-2011, 02:13 AM   #9

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I never had a ton of interest in a .40. If you plan to do a lot of plinking then the 9mm is a no brainer and if you want more power then go for the gold and get a .45 instead. Plus it would make a better plinking gun as well.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:35 AM   #10
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1321 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
+ 1 on the 9mm.

When you find a gun/caliber that you are good with the water cooler talk about size matters goes right out the window.

Two years ago I checked the Browning Hi-Power off my bucket list and found my now-favorite carry piece!

This vintage BHP took about 15% of the time needed for lethal double tap hits. It also turned what was a waste of time and ammo Mozambique Drill into a serious triple tap skill.
Canebrake, I was out at the range one day when an unknown shooter allowed me to shoot some of his military collection. I picked up the Browning Hi-Power and the first thought was, "What a great feel!" I then proceeded to place 12 out of 13 rounds into a 8" steel at 50 yards. "What a great shooter!" This was in 1988. I've owned and carried a Hi-Power ever since. I always felt like I owed John Browning a great debt for his innovation and invention of this fine firearm.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)