Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 9mm thoughts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 279 Times on 243 Posts

More important than the caliber is the action type. Revolver or semi-auto? Double Action, single action, or double/single? What will it be used for, plinking fun, home defense, personal carry defense, etc? Revolvers are better handguns overall, simply due to less moving parts required to function and be of use. I prefer semi-auto blowback operated and single or double/single because of round capacities, aesthetic appeal, comfort and fit, short trigger responses, and concealability. I abhor double action only, see no value in them whatsoever and will never ever own another. The trigger length is cause for way too much trouble in even a plinking situation, let alone life or death. I'll take a hammer every time, no cocked and locked for me either.

I'll also be the first to admit, I was a victim of the misconception that I needed a bigger caliber to have any validity in self defense. However, since shooting through all kinds of different materials I've come to the realization that anything larger than 380 is overkill and has much too much potential for overpenetration and possible collateral damage, which isn't worth the risk for me. From now on I carry and keep around home only my 22lr pistols. I rely primarily on my gift for gab, charm, and coolheaded nature. Second on my ability, as a mentally fit person, to figure out a better way. Third on my physical fitness to take someone out at close range with my body, or find cover and get to it then run like the wind. Then, finally, if no other option and no question of life endangerment, my 11 rounds of 22lr in combination with the second and/or third.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 09-22-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:08 PM   #32

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
More important than the caliber is the action type. Revolver or semi-auto? Double Action, single action, or double/single? What will it be used for, plinking fun, home defense, personal carry defense, etc? Revolvers are better handguns overall, simply due to less moving parts required to function and be of use. I prefer semi-auto blowback operated and single or double/single because of round capacities, aesthetic appeal, comfort and fit, short trigger responses, and concealability. I abhor double action only, see no value in them whatsoever and will never ever own another. The trigger length is cause for way too much trouble in even a plinking situation, let alone life or death. I'll take a hammer every time, no cocked and locked for me either.

I'll also be the first to admit, I was a victim of the misconception that I needed a bigger caliber to have any validity in self defense. However, since shooting through all kinds of different materials I've come to the realization that anything larger than 380 is overkill and has much too much potential for overpenetration and possible collateral damage, which isn't worth the risk for me. From now on I carry and keep around home only my 22lr pistols. I rely primarily on my gift for gab, charm, and coolheaded nature. Second on my ability, as a mentally fit person, to figure out a better way. Third on my physical fitness to take someone out at close range with my body, or find cover and get to it then run like the wind. Then, finally, if no other option and no question of life endangerment, my 11 rounds of 22lr in combination with the second and/or third.
While I admire your intentions, your logic could get you in trouble. While you are doing your best to protect innocent bystanders you are opening the door to excessive force. If you shoot someone eleven times with anything you will be tried for murder. Even though you know you were doing what you had to do.

No, I can't prove it. Excessive force is something that is left to the discretion of the arresting officer or DA. There are no clear cut laws that define excessive force but there are rules of thumb. If you shoot someone more than three times the odds are very good you will be charged. The arresting officer will have no remorse. He feels that if it was truly self defense the jury will see it your way.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 09-22-2012, 11:33 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow

While I admire your intentions, your logic could get you in trouble. While you are doing your best to protect innocent bystanders you are opening the door to excessive force. If you shoot someone eleven times with anything you will be tried for murder. Even though you know you were doing what you had to do.

No, I can't prove it. Excessive force is something that is left to the discretion of the arresting officer or DA. There are no clear cut laws that define excessive force but there are rules of thumb. If you shoot someone more than three times the odds are very good you will be charged. The arresting officer will have no remorse. He feels that if it was truly self defense the jury will see it your way.
I guess I should've been clearer. I simply mean that I will rely on how many ever rounds it takes from the possible 11 of my 22lr. If it's one or all into 1 attacker or 8, I'll defend myself until there's no longer a defense needed, damned the law and it's incompetencies. Too circumstantial and speculative a concept to argue really anyway. I leave the game of conjecture to theoreticists, philosophers, poets, politicians and ignoranmuses.

Oh yeah, and the "law".

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 09-22-2012 at 11:36 PM.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:43 PM   #34

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox

I guess I should've been clearer. I simply mean that I will rely on how many ever rounds it takes from the possible 11 of my 22lr. If it's one or all into 1 attacker or 8, I'll defend myself until there's no longer a defense needed, damned the law and it's incompetencies. Too circumstantial and speculative a concept to argue really anyway. I leave the game of conjecture to theoreticists, philosophers, poets, politicians and ignoranmuses.

Oh yeah, and the "law".
And your fate in the hands of a jury and the best lawyer you can afford.

NEVER FORGET

Old 09-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #35

Liked 2412 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 1895

IMO, excessive force is a somewhat arbitrary issue.

If you shoot the law-abiding challenged person once,

I don't see where EF can be made an issue.

Two or three times, readily defensible.

But if you empty a mag into some guy, then

mash his face to pulp with a baseball bat, it's obviously

understandable the cops are going to write up excessive force.

In any event, what they charge you with can be challenged...

Old 09-25-2012, 02:52 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf

Amen. And even then, if they charge/arrest me, its in the hand of a jury full of my "peers" laughable idea.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #37

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Is this gun for carry, range/plinking or a little of both? You may want to define its use first and foremost, research cost him nothing but time and a little effort.

9mm is a fairly safe bet for a first gun, very low recoil, cheap practice ammo and many holster and accessory options. A little patience will help ensure he makes an educated decision and spends his money wisely.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:25 AM   #38

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post

With all due respect, I prefer a caliber that doesn't require that I double tap. If you shoot someone with a 357 three times all but the most determined attackers won't be able to carry on with their attack. In that case the toxicology report will show the attacker was taking mind altering drugs. I prefer the deck is stacked in my favor if I have to be judged by my peers

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 09-27-2012 at 03:42 AM.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #39

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow

With all due respect, I prefer a caliber that doesn't require that I double tap. If you shoot someone with a 357 three times all but the most determined attackers won't be able to carry on with their attack. In that case the toxicology report will show the attacker was taking mind altering drugs. I prefer the deck is stacked in my favor if I have to be judged by n=my peers
Well, 9mm 38spc and 357 are essentially the same caliber. The difference is in the bullet and case length not the caliber.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-27-2012, 01:08 AM   #40

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

This is one of those questions that's like asking GMC or Ford. Your going to get yourself or your friend confused. Best bet is to do as mentioned and go to your firearm dealer, and handle several different pistols. Take the most comfy ones and shoot them if you can like mentioned. If you want a recommendation mine would be the S&W M&P or the Glock. I own both and they are great. You can adjust the grip sizes to fit your hand, they are very light, easily concealable, super reliable and very accurate. You can't go wrong with either and you can find them for the $500.00 mark or less.