9mm Recommendations on Budget - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 9mm Recommendations on Budget

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 11:47 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Report: SR9 after 150+ Rounds

Hi Everyone,

Last week I picked up a Ruger SR9 and put about 40 rounds through it that evening (range was about to close when I got the pistol). Today I picked up some remanufactured ammo along with a few boxes of PCM Bronze. The remanufactured ammo performed significantly different than the PCM. In word "poor." The reman stuff was all over the place. One round would be dead on, the next 6 inches off (@25 feet). Never will I put any of that stuff through my SR9. The PCM ammo was dead on every time. At no time did I have a jam or misfeed with any of the ammo. Today I put about 150 rounds through the SR9.

Overall accuracy was good if not great, but as I shot more the lower camblock pin kept coming out of the gun. I'm pretty sure its simply due to over lubrication, but time will tell. I cleaned the gun tonight and will put another 100 to 200 through it tomorrow.

First impressions:

Impressed. Understand my experience has been with Glocks so I'm a bit partial to them. I admit that.

The SR9 is accurate with the right ammo, even cheap ammo it does well. However, I'm not impressed with the fit and finish of the SR9. The slide is inconsistently finished, there are nicks in the slide during manufacturing, pins are making their way out of the gun during shooting, etc. Yes, all likely due to over lubrication and some break required early on.

I put up a competition target at 50 feet and could consistently put rounds at dead center or just outside dead center with the PMC ammo. Again, at no time did I have a misfire, misfeed or jam. While the finish of the gun isn't great, its consistent and seems reliable. As my new "range gun" I plan to put a lot of rounds through it and will likely do some competition shooting later this year with it.

Would I recommend the SR9? Yes, absolutely. Nice gun overall.

Regards,

~Steve

Old 01-10-2010, 12:19 AM   #32

For your information.

Ruger - SR9 Product Safety Warning and Recall Notice

Old 01-10-2010, 02:05 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo Bob View Post
Thanks for the info...I do have the SR9 with the new trigger group.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:04 PM   #34

Default Third range day with the Ruger SR9

Hi Everyone,

Just got back from the range today with the new SR9. I put about 250 rounds through it, taking my time and getting the sights adjusted.

The SR9 performed flawlessly. No misfires, misfeeds or jams. Accuracy was phenomenal. At 35 feet I could consistently put rounds in a group that a quarter would cover. The pin movement I spoke of in my last post did not happen this time around so that "issue" seems to be resolved with a good cleaning and less lubrication.

I would still recommend the SR9 if anyone is looking for a good and very accurate 9mm handgun.

~Steve

Old 01-13-2010, 01:19 AM   #35

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith3351 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Just got back from the range today with the new SR9. I put about 250 rounds through it, taking my time and getting the sights adjusted.

The SR9 performed flawlessly. No misfires, misfeeds or jams. Accuracy was phenomenal. At 35 feet I could consistently put rounds in a group that a quarter would cover. The pin movement I spoke of in my last post did not happen this time around so that "issue" seems to be resolved with a good cleaning and less lubrication.

I would still recommend the SR9 if anyone is looking for a good and very accurate 9mm handgun.

~Steve
At twelve yards, you put all of your shots in quarter sized groups? You put all of your rounds from a doa handgun into a group the size of a US quarter ($.25) from 35 feet? Neet, we should shoot together. I could use some pointers. Though I've been shooting handguns for over twenty years, the best groups I can get at that range is a Canadian quarter. Slightly larger, I think

Old 01-13-2010, 01:48 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise View Post
At twelve yards, you put all of your shots in quarter sized groups? You put all of your rounds from a doa handgun into a group the size of a US quarter ($.25) from 35 feet? Neet, we should shoot together. I could use some pointers. Though I've been shooting handguns for over twenty years, the best groups I can get at that range is a Canadian quarter. Slightly larger, I think
I didn't say how many were in a group. Technically one is a group of one.

Seriously, the SR9 is fantastically accurate. On that particular day I shot four groups of six and yes, a US quarter could cover it. Later that evening, not so much. I wouldn't classify the handgun as DOA, but appeared to be over lubricated (my fault) and now seems to perform well.

Thanks for your comments.

~Steve