Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   9mm Recommendations on Budget (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/9mm-recommendations-budget-21623/)

ssmith3351 12-30-2009 03:15 AM

9mm Recommendations on Budget

Hi Everyone,

I'm "in the market" for a 9mm. My use will be mainly a range gun for practice and I plan on putting a lot of rounds through it. I'm on a budget...

So, recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I've been looking at Taurus, likely the 24/7 series of some sort and the Ruger SR9. I have Glocks, love 'em but would like to go with another manufacture just because.

I don't like/want a hammer based 9mm, sticker fired is preferred. What am I missing? I'd like to keep this new gun under $450.

Yes, the "save for gun" is the Springfield XDm 9mm.

Thanks,

~Steve:o

Franchise 12-30-2009 04:11 AM

Used CZ75 or new Bersa Pro. The CZ is a Superior gun but around $500 and up. The Bersa starts around $350. These are really nice for the money.

Shihan 12-30-2009 04:52 AM

I am going to have to give you my standard answer: Ruger P95.
Price is right where you are looking and it is a Workhorse

spittinfire 12-30-2009 12:39 PM

Spend another $50 or keep your eyes open and shop around and you can get an XD. Pick your flavor, sub compact 3", Service - 4" or tactical 5". You won't be unhappy if you go with an XD. Stop by a gun shop and fondle one for a little while and see what you think. Shoot it if they'll let you.

sweeper22 12-30-2009 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shihan (Post 205983)
I am going to have to give you my standard answer: Ruger P95.
Price is right where you are looking and it is a Workhorse

That's my take too. About $275-350 for new/like new p95 in my area, and comes with two 15-round mags. One of the better values out there for sure.

Gojubrian 12-30-2009 06:00 PM

You can get a new XD for just a tad more or save about $100 and get a ruger p series. :)

jimbobpissypants 12-31-2009 01:10 AM

I don't know what part of the world you are in, but if you look, you can probably find one of the sigpro line use around that price. Sig makes outstanding stuff. Ruger is reliable too. I have no personal experience with cz, but have good reliability from others. You can also find smith stuff used in that price range.

ssmith3351 12-31-2009 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbobpissypants (Post 206370)
I don't know what part of the world you are in, but if you look, you can probably find one of the sigpro line use around that price. Sig makes outstanding stuff. Ruger is reliable too. I have no personal experience with cz, but have good reliability from others. You can also find smith stuff used in that price range.

Looking at a Ruger SR9 tomorrow. We'll see how it handles. I really like the looks of the XDm series, but at those prices I'll just get a Glock. My local dealer tells me that Glock will have some new model 17 and 22s out in 2010. Can't wait to see what they've done to either.

Thanks for the input everyone.

~Steve

JonM 12-31-2009 02:44 AM

never cheap out on a gun if it is intended for self defense. if you dont have the money for a really good one stick the money in a savings account till you do.

Shihan 12-31-2009 02:47 AM

After you shoot that SR9, don't think you'll want a Glock. I believe you will enjoy the fit of the SR9, try it with the reversible backstrap in both positions.