Which 9mm compact for the wife under &350 lc9? Pf9? P11? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Which 9mm compact for the wife under &350 lc9? Pf9? P11?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspump86
The pf9 looks so much better.

But the xd is 5x the gun as either of those. But a little wider.
I have the XD -9 and my advice is if you have enough for that Kel Tech just hold off and save, the XD is some much better all around. In the long run you will be glad you did.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #12

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Love my lc9. It has roughly 800 rds through it without any issues . There is a company that has reworked trigger parts for it that will make it 100% better fairly reasonable.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #13

Liked 280 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I would bet your wife will not like how the pf-9 feels when shot. 12oz 9mm's can have more than a bt of snap. cw9 kahr, nano, bersa bp. shield, ruger lc9 maybe even a few revolvers between 15 and 21 oz may work . Let her get with a good gun shop/range person and see what slide she can function and maybe fire a few she thinks she like. The pistols around 20 oz will be easier to control for sure. Just what fits her hand. Most of these have LGS prices between 250 for the KT's and 375 for upper end. The p-11 my have the worst trigger of any but with a double stack grip she may like it. Just try to give her the chance to try most. tell where you all are and see what memebers may be near you to offer pistol to try out.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #14

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1
I would bet your wife will not like how the pf-9 feels when shot. 12oz 9mm's can have more than a bt of snap. cw9 kahr, nano, bersa bp. shield, ruger lc9 maybe even a few revolvers between 15 and 21 oz may work . Let her get with a good gun shop/range person and see what slide she can function and maybe fire a few she thinks she like. The pistols around 20 oz will be easier to control for sure. Just what fits her hand. Most of these have LGS prices between 250 for the KT's and 375 for upper end. The p-11 my have the worst trigger of any but with a double stack grip she may like it. Just try to give her the chance to try most. tell where you all are and see what memebers may be near you to offer pistol to try out.
Jax Fl. That makes sense. Ligter = more recoil

Old 07-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspump86 View Post
I am looking for a concealed carry 9mm compact under $350 ( the & was an accident in the the title) for the wife. Any suggestions? I have been looking at the ruger lc9, kel tec pf9 & p11. Im leaning towards the pf9.
I would let her decide, and make sure she can operate the action. Every single PF9 I have seen lately has a super tight slide release. It's so tight many people don't have the hand strength to operate it without help from their other hand which causes them to come way off target. I would pay special attention to that area of operation.

I have fired a couple LC9's and except for the manual safety being a little small for my hand it is a good firearm. I'm not wild about it having a magazine safety in what I consider to be a personal defense weapon, but I can live with it.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #16

[quote="Doc3402"]

I would let her decide, and make sure she can operate the action. Every single PF9 I have seen lately has a super tight slide release. It's so tight many people don't have the hand strength to operate it without help from their other hand which causes them to come way off target. I would pay special attention to that area of operation.

I have fired a couple LC9's and except for the manual safety being a little small for my hand it is a good firearm. I'm not wild about it having a magazine safety in what I consider to be a personal defense weapon, but I can live with

Last edited by gaspump86; 07-23-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #17
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3098 Times on 1781 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Had a chance to see the LC9 in action yesterday.
The owner had several complaints about trigger's long pull, the magazine safety, and the grip.

But, bottom line, he told me that it was acceptable for intended usage (for his wife to carry).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #18
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2334 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Check out this thread

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/handgun-selection-women-mike-seeklander-58567/

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 07-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #19

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Reverse the situation and think about that. What if your wife bought you a gun without soliciting your opinion? I'd hate to see what kind of gun my wife would get me in that case.

Best thing is for her to get some range time behind as many different guns as possible. Depending on your wife's size, she may have trouble pulling the trigger on the LC9 more than a few times. My wife had trouble with the Sigma I had.

Another thing to think about is a small 9mm may not be pleasant for a female to shoot. You might be introducing a gun that could cause her to develop a flinch. What will be her carry method? You might be able to go with a slightly larger framed gun if she's just going to carry in a purse.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus
Reverse the situation and think about that. What if your wife bought you a gun without soliciting your opinion? I'd hate to see what kind of gun my wife would get me in that case.

Best thing is for her to get some range time behind as many different guns as possible. Depending on your wife's size, she may have trouble pulling the trigger on the LC9 more than a few times. My wife had trouble with the Sigma I had.

Another thing to think about is a small 9mm may not be pleasant for a female to shoot. You might be introducing a gun that could cause her to develop a flinch. What will be her carry method? You might be able to go with a slightly larger framed gun if she's just going to carry in a purse.
I never said I didnt solicit her. We looked at options in our price range on the net. Compared specs and features, watched some youtube reviews (nutnfancy's channel mostly). We just have not went and held them.
She will probably carry IWB
P.s. The handgun rental range here does not offer any of those guns.