9mm or 45acp
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 9mm or 45acp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 02:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 9mm or 45acp

I am going to be purchasing a handgun soon and I am wondering if I should go with the 9mm or 45. Please let me know which one you think I should go with.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-04-2012, 02:08 AM   #2

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Welcome to FTF...choose whichever caliber you shoot best...

When you get a chance, stop by the intro thread and say hi...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Last edited by vincent; 09-04-2012 at 03:21 AM. Reason: sp

Old 09-04-2012, 02:36 AM   #3

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Man, there are so many variables that come into play here. Size of gun, money available, intended usage, what you shoot best...

We need way more info to better help you.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:45 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I want it to be compact, I can pay up to $500 and I don't want it to have a huge kick.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:46 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

And as for usage mainly target shooting and home protection.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #6

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

A medium steel frame 9 millimeter may be right up your alley. I'd recommend an older Smith and Wesson automatic.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:05 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2972 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Man, there are so many variables that come into play here. Size of gun, money available, intended usage, what you shoot best...

We need way more info to better help you.
I would add: Experience level.

If I were a betting man, I'd say we are dealing w/ someone one has very limited experience with handguns. Therefore, I would suggest hitting the gun ranges that rent guns and start test driving various 9 mm pistols.
My list of pistols to look at first:

CZ75 or CZ P07 Duty
Stoeger Cougar
Ruger
S&W M&P
XD9
Glock 19

Why 9 mm? Because if I'm right 9 mm will be easier to learn with and cheaper to to practice with.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld
vincent Likes This 
Old 09-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #8

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Smith & Wesson 3913 - 9mm
Great gun! Accurate, reliable, and made for many years, so parts are still easy to attain. It strips easily, cleans quickly, looks good, and has my second favorite action type DA/SA.

Ruger SR9C - 9mm
Awesome piece, great for a first time shooter because it comes with an extended magazine option, which holds 17 rounds for convenient target practice, and a compact magazine for concealed carry. It looks good, has short trigger for a DA pistol and feels real good in the hands.

Glocks are great guns, hands down work horses with a proven record, but I never reccommend getting one to anyone new to firearms or anybody looking for a concealed carry piece. This is because they seem to refuse to use physical safety toggles. This is huge for me!!! Unacceptable. Sure they use other "safety features", but nothing at all comparable to an actual, manual, manipulatable safety.

There are tons of other guns out there that would be great pieces for ya, but the top two would be what I'd consider "best bangs for the buck".

The two I carry:

Ruger LC9 - 9mm
More compact than the SR9C but still a solid shooter!

Cobra 9mm Derringer
Only two shots, but comfort is primary concern for me. I refuse to carry these large framed, full sized 45s or 9s like the rest seem to. Two shots at the sort of range I'd use this thing is more than sufficient and with it I can carry in my summer shorts, unlike anything else.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #9

If its you first handgun I would go with a 9mm

Old 09-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #10

Liked 2294 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 503

As a first gun I would also recommend a 9mm. Recoil is more manageable, gun sizes can be more compact, and ammo is more affoardable which would allow a new shooter to get more practice.

I'm going to give a slightly different philosphy on the Glock than "BeyondTheBox". I do respect his opinion. It is true that a Glock can be discharged simply by pulling the trigger, and if someone is not careful this could lead to a negligent discharge.

As someone with a clean slate, it can be easier to teach someone to safely shoot and carry a Glock, because you may not have habits that revolved around guns with manual safeties. Double action revolvers can be fired bu simply pulling the trigger, but the length and weight of pull is usually greater. Sig pistols don't have a safety either, but simply a decocker for after a shooter is done shooting. If someone forgets to engage their safety or decocker in the heat of stress, teh trigger travel is generally shorter and potentially more dangerous than a Glock after the trigger finger is off the trigger.

I have taken several new shooters to the range with Glock, Sig, Beretta, Colt, Smith and Wesson, and had no issues teaching them the safety features of each platform. Most found that a Glock was pretty easy to learn to keep a straight trigger finger when not ready to fire. While they seemed more prone to forget to reengage a manual safety or activate a decocker.

Not trying to pick a fight here, just expressing a different point of view. Many folks insist on external safeties and i won't fault them for that.

Bottom line is, whatever pistol platform you decide to go with, learn the safety features of you gun and engrain the use of them in your range sessions and training so that you are a safer gun owner. If you are not actively shooting, engage your safety, and make it a habit you don't have to think about.

I too, would recommend finding a range with rental pistols, or getting with friends who have different pistols and trying them out before you decide to lay your money down.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 09-04-2012 at 11:04 PM.
axxe55 Likes This