Originally Posted by rem870forever
If I am to get a 9mm I'm getting a ruger p95 but I don't know any .40s&w under $400 that are good. Suggestions for which caliber and gun with reasons please.I'm on a budget with ammo so ill be buying boxes of 50 under $20
Everyone has their own opinions, but I own 9mm, 40 and 45 handguns but the gun that is on my nightstand is a 9mm M9 Beretta for the following reasons...
1. My wife practices with it and the safety is reverse from every other handgun I use. She doesn't practice like I do so consistency is important.
2. It has a 15 round capacity. I have never had to use it to defend, but I have to imagine with adrenaline and maybe multiple targets, round capacity will be more likely to be useful than knockdown.
3. The weapon is less expensive than many I own so if it gets stolen, I would miss it less/replace it more easily.
4. 9mm is available in potent self defense rounds and has some of the least expensive target ammo and I place a huge premium on practice and proficiency.
5. Under normal circumstances, ammo is readily available...it will be soon again.
6. Recoil of 9mm is very manageable for all shooters, including my kids. Accuracy and practice once again. None of my family likes the recoil of the .45 except me; and even the 40 SW draws negative comments from my wife.