45acp carry ammo

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 45acp carry ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 03:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 467 Times on 259 Posts

Default 45acp carry ammo

So I wanted to get some opinions on 45 acp carry ammo. What do you consider good ammo and why?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2012, 03:50 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 184 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 500

One of my students carries Hornady's 185 gr. Critical Defense and loves it. I have and carry either that or Winchester's 230 gr. Bonded PDX1. I don't feel one can go wrong with either one of these. There are other fine rounds out there; Speer, CorBon, etc., get some and try them...I know they are expensive but once you settle on a carry round, you will appreciate the experience.

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Old 12-09-2012, 04:12 AM   #3

Liked 2294 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Gold dots or Winchester SXT (PDX-1 or whatever they are calling their bullet this year).

Old 12-09-2012, 04:12 AM   #4

Liked 640 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Critical Defense for in the home, Gold Dots for the street. I use this in all my handguns. I prefer Gold Dots for the street bc they are more likely to go clean through auto body steel and glass. I'm not expert, but the guys who I train with are SWAT/MIL and they told me this.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:26 AM   #5

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Federal HydraShok 185gr

I don't have any shooting experience with this new critical Defense by Hornady, but I believe it to be a bunch of malarky with that little insert. I plan on testing it once weather permits, but that will be a while.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:49 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hornady Critical Defense FTX JHP 185 Grain for the home and the street 1911love is correct. I used to train our SWAT and used the Gold Dot exclusively for the penetration power of the round. Since being out of the business, I use what was our second choice now which, is the Critical Defense, simply because I don't want that penetration power without a badge to back me up. I'm not saying that you are more or less liable carrying either one, it's just my preference. Iv'e seen both shot into gelatin and I believe in the Critical Defense after seeing their characteristics. Bear in mind that I saw these tests in 2008 just prior to retiring and we all know things change constantly.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:50 AM   #7

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Winchester Ranger xt+p 230 grain. Great round that won't break the bank if you want to shoot it occasionally, and if you are going to carry a 45 why do so with a round as light as a 40? Makes no sense to me.

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #8

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love
Critical Defense for in the home, Gold Dots for the street. I use this in all my handguns. I prefer Gold Dots for the street bc they are more likely to go clean through auto body steel and glass. I'm not expert, but the guys who I train with are SWAT/MIL and they told me this.
That's because it is a bonded bullet and that prevents jacket separation. Jacket separation is the #1 cause of bullet failure. At the moment I carry 230 grain pdx1. Mainly because I could not find any gold dots. How ever I am going to go with the 220 grain +p critical duty that just came out in November. It is said to be the best out there as far as FBI standards. And as far as I know the only round to defeat all FBI test barriers and still maintain the 12"-16" of penetration. Currently the FBI uses the Winchester pdx1. They can not change ammo do to there contract with Winchester. But I have heard they may go with the critical duty after the contract is up. Not to be confused with critical defense. The C duty and C defense are 2 different rounds.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
Federal HydraShok 185gr

I don't have any shooting experience with this new critical Defense by Hornady, but I believe it to be a bunch of malarky with that little insert. I plan on testing it once weather permits, but that will be a while.
I did not thank much of it when it first came out either. But after a lot of research I changed my mind. I will get the links together and post them for review.

The C defiance and C duty have a lot of similarities. But are very different. At first sight they look the same. Both use the same bullet both use nickel plated brass. The only visual difference is the duty has a H stamped in the red tip.

The tip dose a few things for both rounds.
#1 it keeps the cavity from getting clogged causing it not to expand.
#2 aids in bullet expansion. (As log as the cavity dose not clog the round will expand anyway.)
#3 (this is a little iffy to me. I have not researched this but I have ben told by many different people.) it prevents premature expansion. Which so I'm told can be caused by shooting a target with heavy clothing. Causing the round to start to expand before entering the body. Thus slowing the round down. Which may cause under penetration. (Like I said I dont know about that. But I have heard it more than once.)

The bullet is not bounded. This is because bonding has its good and its bad sides. The bad is when the round impacts a barrier such as a car windshield it gets badly deformed. (This is the part of FBI testing most rounds fail). Causing the bullet to lose velocity very quickly resulting in under penetration. This is because the round dose not sheds the damaged material instead it tries to hold its self together causing resistance. The C duty and C defiance is not bounded but instead has a large inter locking band which causes the round not to have jacket separation just as good as bonding. But because it is not bonded it can shed that damaged material allowing it to maintain most of its velocity.

Other than the casing and primer this is ware the similarities end. The C defiance charged with low flash, low recoil powders making it ideal for shorter barrels. Example 3.5" and under. The C duty has a higher charge, and low flash powders. This makes it better for longer barrels such as 4" and up. The duty is said to be more for Leo use for this reason most people don't carry a full size gun everyday. The problem with using the C duty in a short barrel is the added recoil.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #10

Well added muzzle flip rather than recoil.