Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   45ACP bullet selection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/45acp-bullet-selection-103387/)

MaineMan 01-28-2014 11:37 PM

45ACP bullet selection

I like to carry HP AMMO when I think I will be using my 1911 around crowds. My thought process is that if it only gets 14" of penetration in ballistic gelatin than it wont impose as much a threat to others.

When I'm at home, and in the field I carry either HCFN, or JFN in the mag. I was checking out test some years back, and you can more than double the penetration depending on the bullet.

Please do not start this into a caliber debate! I am only interested in what others do that carry this cartridge, and maybe get some pointers as to the best ammo now a days.

mountainman13 01-28-2014 11:46 PM

The best hollow points are the ones your gun cycle reliably. 1911S are often finicky when it comes to hollows.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

MaineMan 01-29-2014 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 1493831)
The best hollow points are the ones your gun cycle reliably. 1911S are often finicky when it comes to hollows.

well so far so good, have tried several types and no problems so far...cant say that is even a concern for me...thinking along the lines of performance on live creatures

mountainman13 01-29-2014 12:12 AM

I can't help you there. I carried a standard reliable defense ammo in my 1911, Nothing special. Don't remember what it was.

JonM 01-29-2014 12:14 AM

I carry 230 hp in whatever brand I can get except remington. I don't consider remington reliable enough for plinking much less self defense.

My philosophy on defense is if I buy defensive ammo and it doesn't cycle in one of my carry guns I sell the gun. If a ccw gun is ammo sensitive I don't consider it reliable for carry.

Mercator 01-29-2014 12:17 AM

Buffalo Bore ammo is among the hottest, their specialty. Mountainman is right that you will need to fire at least 100 rounds without a single stoppage (some say 200) to trust it for SD. That means your 1911 will take quite a beating (check the spring rating) ,and possibly your hand too. I have not fired a Buffalo Bore +P from my 1911's, because I've seen what a regular 230 gr can do - more than enough. But if you want the ultimate power you can trust, brace up for some testing.

MaineMan 01-29-2014 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercator (Post 1493874)
Buffalo Bore ammo is among the hottest, their specialty. Mountainman is right that you will need to fire at least 100 rounds without a single stoppage (some say 200) to trust it for SD. That means your 1911 will take quite a beating (check the spring rating) ,and possibly your hand too. I have not fired a Buffalo Bore +P from my 1911's, because I've seen what a regular 230 gr can do - more than enough. But if you want the ultimate power you can trust, brace up for some testing.

I have fired the Buffalo Bore 255gr and it did feel a little snappy to say the least, they recommend installing a stiffer spring I do recall. I do like their stuff though! So far I have tried almost every brand of HP and haven't had a malfunction so I'm not worried about that right now. I really have no worries, just looking for what others choose to carry for ammo.

I have tried and carried about everything under the sun...but always seem to be looking for that edge :D

GunRunner 01-29-2014 02:01 PM

I have drank the Kool aid and I carry RBCD ammo in my 1911. It's light and fast, there are some other claims but these are the two that I know are facts

It's a 80gr limited range round. It travels at 2375 fps at 1002 flbs. All that speed and energy stopping in a Bad Guys body. Some say that they don't perform well in ballistic gel but I've never heard of ballistic gel committing a crime. So I take that with a grain of salt.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Firearms Talk mobile app

Overkill0084 01-29-2014 03:17 PM

Winchester Ranger T 230 JHP. Cycles reliably, groups well. Good enough for the Police, good enough for me. Bonus: It's not idiotically overpriced.

jjones45 01-30-2014 02:27 PM

45ACP bullet selection

I have gone strictly to federal hst. I still like hornady critical duty as well. Both are offered in +p to I think

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk