.45 fever... - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > .45 fever...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 11:45 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I like the Rock Island 1911. It is a good platform to build on.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

"It's Tommy this, and Tommy that, and 'chuck 'im out, the brute,' But it's 'Savior of his Country,' When the guns begin to shoot." Rudyard Kipling

Old 12-01-2011, 12:15 AM   #22

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewchew
Colt,Rock Island, High Standard, Springfield, Remmington, they all have parts you can interchange and easy to get and cheaper than a S&W or Sig.
I sell a lot of HighPoints and when they bring them back and want to trade they get pissed when they find out that they are worth very little.
The people that own Taurus's like them, but I've never wanted one, I would rather spend a little extra and get a Beretta.
You ask for opinions and these are from someone who has shot them all.
I respect everyone's opinion and if you don't agree with mine tell me about it. I'm betcha I've heard a helluva lot worse. Trying different guns are what makes shooting fun. Now go shoot something.
Hahahahaha!

I assume you speak of the exchange between myself and another poster in this thread and as such none of this is aimed toward you. Though your post was of less help than others', due to lack of more specifics (model nomenclature), it wasn't the quality of quaker oats (for the dense of mind that's a metaphor for tastelessness).

I have nothing against legitimate recommendations, but when I give a very specific, clearly stated price range of 400-500 and I get offerings of those that cost 800, or, even worse, $200 (hi point)... Well, I feel it more than reasonable to consider such well worth "pointing" out as a flaw in response and ignorance to the obvious.

Humility, or lack thereof, has absolutely nothing to do with it, nor does appreciation. Who would appreciate that? Wouldn't matter the material goods, it's immaterial... But I digress.

I agree with the majority of statements and sentiments here, that the 1911 platform is exactly what suits the situation. I'm really glad I posed this query here before I furtherd my search self-reliantly and illequipped.

Thank you for reaffirming the brands others have mentioned to pay attention to, I believe I have a great place to start looking.

Thanks again fellas. Great place, this.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:34 AM   #23

You're welcome, Honey.
I guess your next post will be asking what brands of tampon's you can buy for less than a dollar.
PMS must be hell.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:57 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewchew
You're welcome, Honey.
I guess your next post will be asking what brands of tampon's you can buy for less than a dollar.
PMS must be hell.
Actually, I prefer pads!

So there!!! (insert tongue out and moose antlers with thumbs to head here.)

Ps. That was a completely invalid comparison in a moronic response. I can take a zing, but I can't let stupidity go, ever.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 12-01-2011 at 01:07 AM.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:23 AM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You're *missing the boat* if you are completely discounting the possibility of buying used weapons.

Broaden your horizons man!

Be Well.

Last edited by neilage66; 12-01-2011 at 01:24 AM. Reason: format

Old 12-01-2011, 02:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilage66
You're *missing the boat* if you are completely discounting the possibility of buying used weapons.

Broaden your horizons man!
That's like buying used condoms, to me.

Protection is a big part of the purpose here and used, unless used by myself or someone I know personally and watched their every interaction with the gun, is far too foregoing to accept... Again, "for me". No, I will only do brand new.

But, as an in general thing, I wont discredit the value of seeing the worth in SOME preowned things.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:50 AM   #27

Stoeger Cougar 8045 runs $459 new. Love my 9mm in this platform and have been looking at the 45 also. No its not a 1911, but grip feels just like a beretta 92, and trigger is pretty nice.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:53 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 332 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post

Protection is a big part of the purpose here and used, unless used by myself or someone I know personally and watched their every interaction with the gun, is far too foregoing to accept... Again, "for me". No, I will only do brand new.

But, as an in general thing, I wont discredit the value of seeing the worth in SOME preowned things.
I can see your point here. Being new to handguns and the complications that they pose, I am also only buying anything new. For the time being. As I become more familiar, I imagine that used will become an option.

I am perfectly comfortable buying a used rifle or shotgun, however. I grew up with them and have hunted with long guns for years. I have no problem evaluating the working condition of a long gun. I have bought enough used in the past year with no problems that I don't see paying the markup of buying new anymore.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:56 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox

Protection is a big part of the purpose here and used, unless used by myself or someone I know personally and watched their every interai totallyction with the gun, is far too foregoing to accept... Again, "for me". No, I will only do brand new.

I totally agree. With a used gun you will never know who used it how they used it or worse what they may have done to it. Also when self defense is thrown in reliability takes an absolute priority over form, price, or brand in short I'm willing to pay another $100 if I know not a single person has screwed with it in any way and it'll fire every time I pull the trigger.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:55 AM   #30

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMarine View Post
I totally agree. With a used gun you will never know who used it how they used it or worse what they may have done to it. Also when self defense is thrown in reliability takes an absolute priority over form, price, or brand in short I'm willing to pay another $100 if I know not a single person has screwed with it in any way and it'll fire every time I pull the trigger.
With experience those thoughts will fade-----
Ever heard of a brand new $40,000 car breaking down YES
New does NOT mean perfect or even 100% reliable -----

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Closed Thread