.45 fever...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > .45 fever...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 03:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Default .45 fever...

So I've got my nine, a conceal carry, and a plinker, the only things i'm missing to complete my desired collection is a .45 and a short range rifle (3030). Next on the hit list, after shooting little brother's Glock 30, is the .45, but which one.

I was dead sure, after a lot of research into a couple cheap pieces (under $400), that I had decided on the Taurus MilPro, but now I've realized that I should put a little more thought into this decision before I make it.

So here I am, requesting some suggestions. I still want to keep it within a similar price range (upping to under $500), so don't waste your time trying to convince me I should spent twice as much just to get a Springfield 1911. My brother said the Glock was just $525, but I'd like something else. It was great, but not great enough for the extra $150 i've the Taurus.

Any other ideas or recommendations?

Thanks fellas...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-30-2011, 03:09 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 328 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 64

You could get into a 1911 Rock Island Armory for under $500. I did over the weekend.

Could look at the Springfield xd or the Smith & Wesson M&P.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:13 AM   #3

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Is used out of the question? You could pick up a 30 used for about $425-$450 range. You'd be better off than the Taurus. Not knocking Taurus b/c I owned a 24/7 pro c in 9mm than ran flawlessly after 1,000 rounds. No gripes there. However, I did trade it in to get my glock and 10 months and 3000+ rounds later....no probs. What's another $150? Save more $ you'll be happier in the long run if you want a polymer frame semi auto.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 11-30-2011, 03:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz
Is used out of the question? You could pick up a 30 used for about $425-$450 range. You'd be better off than the Taurus. Not knocking Taurus b/c I owned a 24/7 pro c in 9mm than ran flawlessly after 1,000 rounds. No gripes there. However, I did trade it in to get my glock and 10 months and 3000+ rounds later....no probs. What's another $150? Save more $ you'll be happier in the long run if you want a polymer frame semi auto.
Used is very "out of the question", I won't buy anything used, especially something like a handgun.

Another $150 means nothing, monetarily speaking, but it would mean another paycheck to wait it out and, unfortunately, i'm far too impetuous to save the initial $500 for that long. If I don't do it now I, quite simply, won't, for a while. Which isn't a big deal, but I'd like to... Now, while I still have the drive, desire, and ability.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:29 AM   #5

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox

Used is very "out of the question", I won't buy anything used, especially something like a handgun.

Another $150 means nothing, monetarily speaking, but it would mean another paycheck to wait it out and, unfortunately, i'm far too impetuous to save the initial $500 for that long. If I don't do it now I, quite simply, won't, for a while. Which isn't a big deal, but I'd like to... Now, while I still have the drive, desire, and ability.
I understand the impatience, Im exactly the same way. Just fight the urge to spend it!

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 11-30-2011, 03:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz

I understand the impatience, Im exactly the same way. Just fight the urge to spend it!
Argggggh... I... Can't.... Stop... Must.... Have..... Now....!

Old 11-30-2011, 03:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks
You could get into a 1911 Rock Island Armory for under $500. I did over the weekend.

Could look at the Springfield xd or the Smith & Wesson M&P.
Definite no on the S&W, but that Rock Island looks amazing. I'm very interested. Tired of compacts, have two, a well priced, good old fashioned 1911 is just what the doctor ordered. Great suggestion man, thanks.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:49 AM   #8

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

A lot of people seem to really like Hi-points, don't have any experience with them personally but they keep the prices reasonable. Try to muster up a little more patience, a handgun shouldn't be an impulse buy but I can definitely sympathize with you there!! G21 is a good choice too. I have negative opinions on Taurus, it seems to be a 50/50 company, half the people get them and hate 'em, the other half love 'em.

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 11-30-2011, 05:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent
A lot of people seem to really like Hi-points, don't have any experience with them personally but they keep the prices reasonable. Try to muster up a little more patience, a handgun shouldn't be an impulse buy but I can definitely sympathize with you there!! G21 is a good choice too. I have negative opinions on Taurus, it seems to be a 50/50 company, half the people get them and hate 'em, the other half love 'em.
Hi-point is far below my price range, surprised you'd even bother with the recommendation. Trying to make a "point"? Poor one... The Taurus is far above it in every way.

The mere fact that i'm here posing this question means that i'm not impulse buying.

If you've got something worthwhile to offer great, otherwise you're just adding purposeless post count.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 11-30-2011 at 05:32 AM.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #10

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Hi-point is far below my price range, surprised you'd even bother with the recommendation. Trying to make a "point"? Poor one... The Taurus is far above it in every way.

The mere fact that i'm here posing this question means that i'm not impulse buying.

If you've got something worthwhile to offer great, otherwise you're just adding purposeless post count.
You asked for recommendations, I answered. If you don't like it, just say no thanks and move on, or say nothing, no need to get critical.

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Closed Thread