Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > .45 Compacts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2007, 01:38 AM   #11
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 698 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

What are some the problem you should expect?

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:07 PM   #12

Default Reliability:

Compact 1911's have always had reliability issues.

Specifically, the ability to fire, extract & eject the fired case and then load the next round into the chamber.

It revolves around the slide being too short in amount of travel within its extraction/feed cycle in balance with too much spring trying to assure the reload part of the cycle while functioning in the full rearward position in the cycle.

Ammo is the main problem. You MUST fire multiple mags of the actual ammo you are going to carry for duty/protection to assure reliability.
Firing FMJ practice rounds to break in the pistol is OK...but has a different cyclic function that JHP rounds due to velocity and operating pressures of the rounds which change the slide velocity in cycling.

A commander length slide or full size 1911 has much more reliability.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:45 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I love my Kimber Compact, it has been nothing but reliable. I've found, in letting others shoot it, that operator error causes most problems with it. I have never had feed problems, even with hollow points. I've never had it stove pipe, though my wife has. It cycles in and out of battery with no problems. It is the only 1911 compact that I have any experience with though, so I'm not sure why Dgun says they all have problems.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:21 AM   #14

I love my Glock 30 .45

__________,
L///--------l - - - - - - - -
/=./L'J|
_./ Glock 30

Old 09-16-2007, 09:51 PM   #15

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default .45 compacts

I carry a para ordnance C6LDA and HIGHLY reccomend it. They are very accurate,reliable,and have the sweetest,lightest,smoothest DAO trigger of anything this side of even the ol colt python. Do yourself a huge favor and at least check them out. You will be able to shoot it better than any other compact and won't jam with a act of congress!

Old 09-17-2007, 08:33 PM   #16
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 698 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Is the C6 a 3.5" barrel?

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:51 PM   #17

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default compact .45

The para C6LDA is 3" barrel,very compact and the BEST SHOOTING compact .45 I have EVER shot. The LDA trigger is the lightest,smoothest trigger on market by far. I'm talking 5.5 pounds double action without noticeable stackup. Mine will group 2" at 20 yards!!!

Old 09-20-2007, 12:41 AM   #18

Default Taurus Millennium Pro PT145

The owner of a local gun shop has recommended the Taurus Millennium Pro PT145 for carrying. Does anybody have any experience or input on this handgun?

Member GCO

Old 09-23-2007, 11:30 PM   #19

Default I was looking at the Kimber too!

FWIW:

I was also looking at the Kimber Pro Covert II .45ACP, which coincidently was the cover-feature of "Combat Handguns" magazine last month... This is the gun I REALLY want, but it is about triple my budget.

I've heard nothing but good about Kimber from several long-time gun-owners, mostly ex-military. But then, I've never owned one myself.

On the flip side, I've heard several poor reviews about reliability and accuracy of a Taurus, but then the local gunshop was trying to push me towards them... What has everyone else heard?

Last edited by ravenslay3r; 09-23-2007 at 11:32 PM.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenslay3r View Post
FWIW:

I was also looking at the Kimber Pro Covert II .45ACP, which coincidently was the cover-feature of "Combat Handguns" magazine last month... This is the gun I REALLY want, but it is about triple my budget.

I've heard nothing but good about Kimber from several long-time gun-owners, mostly ex-military. But then, I've never owned one myself.

On the flip side, I've heard several poor reviews about reliability and accuracy of a Taurus, but then the local gunshop was trying to push me towards them... What has everyone else heard?
I rented one at my local range. The owner pushes Kimber. Apparently the Marines are issuing the full size Custom II now along with LAPD SWAT. The Made In USA stamp means alot to me too.

As for my experience with this gun, the grip is a bit too short for my hand. I pinched my finger while inserting the magazine. That being said, it functioned flawlessly during the two boxes of ball ammo I put through it. The target was less than 10 yards away and accuracy was more than adequate for the short-barreled gun.

Thanks for the input on the Taurus.

Member GCO

Newest Threads