Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > .45 Compacts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2007, 03:50 AM   #1
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 687 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Default .45 Compacts

I want to buy a .45 compact ASAP and like the Kimber Ultra but really open to other ideas.

What .45 compact are you carrying/shooting?

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2007, 05:12 PM   #2

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Have you considered the Bersa Ultra Compact 45? It's an outstanding gun with everything you'd want on a pistol for $350. It's also made in .40 S&W/9mm and if it's a consideration, the most "lefty" friendly pistol you'll find without having a gun custom made. I've had one for about three years (paid $285 NIB) and think it's the best .45 value you'll find, even for 2 or 3 times the price. While I prefer the 9mm (holds 13+1 vs. 7+1 for the 45), they are my gun of choice when it comes to the biggest "bang" for the buck around today.

Here's a link to a photo of my gun or you can go to the thread titled "Best Cheap 45" in this same area for it and another one of my UC-45...

Last edited by rachilders; 08-20-2007 at 05:18 PM.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:03 PM   #3

Default Reliable compact 45acp: Les Baer Stinger

in a 1911 format : Les baer STINGER is the only 100% reliable compact in the market.

In DAO the AMT Back-up in 45acp

The ULTIMATE in small: Semmerling LM-4 (about $4K for an original)

The Kimber will NEVER be 100% reliable as they are out of manufactured out of spec for the relationship of the slide stop hole in the frame per an original 1911 print. We have seen too many with LEO's trying to solve the reliability problems. Wouldnt own one or accept one as a gift !

Old 08-21-2007, 08:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachilders View Post
Have you considered the Bersa Ultra Compact 45? It's an outstanding gun with everything you'd want on a pistol for $350. It's also made in .40 S&W/9mm and if it's a consideration, the most "lefty" friendly pistol you'll find without having a gun custom made. I've had one for about three years (paid $285 NIB) and think it's the best .45 value you'll find, even for 2 or 3 times the price. While I prefer the 9mm (holds 13+1 vs. 7+1 for the 45), they are my gun of choice when it comes to the biggest "bang" for the buck around today.

Here's a link to a photo of my gun or you can go to the thread titled "Best Cheap 45" in this same area for it and another one of my UC-45...
How many rounds have you run through it?

Old 08-22-2007, 05:09 AM   #5

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etho View Post
How many rounds have you run through it?
About 1,100 or 1,200. For the first 200 rounds or so I did have problems with weak recoil springs causing FTE/FTF (Bersa upgraded the springs on '05 and later guns; mine was made in '03), but after replacing them with newer ones from the factory I've put about 900 or so rounds through the gun with no problems of any kind.

FWIW, I mentioned I also have the UC-9 (9mm), which is virtually identical to the UC-45 except for the molding/design on the grips. I prefer the 9 because it holds more ammo, the accessories (other than mags) can be used by both guns and it's cheaper to shoot at the range, but the UC-45 is still my gun of choice when I'm in need of a .45. If it weren't for my preference for the 9mm, I'd have used the UC-45 a lot more than it has been.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:09 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi Notdku, 8/24/07

.45 Compacts are great to carry and shoot. Some of your choices are going to be influenced by whether you want a single-action (cocked and locked) carry piece or whether you want a double action (either traditional DA or DAO) pistol.
I have three compact .45's which get carried regularly, all DA/SA, two of which are great pistols and the third less so.

First- HK USPC-.45. Simply a great pistol. Light weight, points and carries well, accurate and reliable. They are expensive new but I got mine off Gunbroker for $575. Hard to beat as an overall carry weapon.

Second- SW 4516-1. No longer made but can be had for relatively little money used. I got mine for $365 off Gunbroker. It looked like new both internally and externally, and shoots better than a compact has a right to. Only downside is it is somewhat heavier than the polymer or aluminum pistols. Lighter SW .45 compacts include the 4513-TSW and 457, both excellent guns.

Lastly- an EAA Witness compact .45 in steel (as opposed to polymer) with the Wonder finish- Great pistol right up until the slide and frame cracked (one crack in the right front slide rail, four cracks in the frame- two at the rear frame rails and two at the mag release). Total round count- 3200 with standard pressure ammo. EAA replaced the slide but refused to replace the frame. Too bad, it was a great pistol while it lasted.

Hope this helps. Good shooting.

Oldandslow

Old 08-24-2007, 04:33 AM   #7
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgunsmith View Post
The Kimber will NEVER be 100% reliable as they are out of manufactured out of spec for the relationship of the slide stop hole in the frame per an original 1911 print. We have seen too many with LEO's trying to solve the reliability problems. Wouldnt own one or accept one as a gift !
What do you mean reliable? They misfire often, not accurate, what do you mean by reliable?

Old 08-24-2007, 10:37 PM   #8

My Kimber even with the dreaded external extractor runs fine......

Old 08-24-2007, 11:13 PM   #9
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

What model Kimber do have?

Old 08-25-2007, 12:54 AM   #10

Default compact 45

antime you choose a 1911 45acp less then the comander 4.25 in. you can expect it to have a few problems, i had a kimber cdp 3 in. that was perfect.
a xd 45 , glock 30, s&W mP45 are all good guns. full size & comander is my choice.. bobby

YOUR LAST GUN IS NEVER YOUR LAST GUN.
BOBBY