.45 ACP Self Defense Ammo - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > .45 ACP Self Defense Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 03:31 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Size does matter when it comes to ammo. People always say that modern 9mm rounds act like a .45. Well, what does the modern .45 rounds act like then.

I go with Winchester Bonded PDX1. It is a 230gr bullet that is made for person protection. It is also the round that the FBI uses in their service weapons. This round is not +P because it does not need to have the extra power to do its job and it does not over penetrate. For those who know bullets... This round derived from the infamous Black Talon rounds. It was redesigned for increased reliability of expansion and was also designed to go through windows without deforming. The talon points were rounded, but the damage that it creates is the same.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #32

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Some people call a .45 acp a slow moving train. If I get hit with a VW it is going to hurt and kill me, but if I get hit with a train, well, it is going to kill me and drag me down the tracks grinding me up. A 45 will stop a person and knock them flat down onto the ground. I watched a video last night in the police academy of a subject just taken into custody that was not properly searched and he shot himself in the head with a 1911 .45 when the officer left the room. It was not pretty to say the least. The 45, like the German 9mm, was designed for one purpose and one purpose only, to kill human beings. So, having said that, a 45 with hp or fmj from Walmart, cheap, will do the job when it comes to social work very nicely.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #33

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by revandy
Some people call a .45 acp a slow moving train. If I get hit with a VW it is going to hurt and kill me, but if I get hit with a train, well, it is going to kill me and drag me down the tracks grinding me up. A 45 will stop a person and knock them flat down onto the ground. I watched a video last night in the police academy of a subject just taken into custody that was not properly searched and he shot himself in the head with a 1911 .45 when the officer left the room. It was not pretty to say the least. The 45, like the German 9mm, was designed for one purpose and one purpose only, to kill human beings. So, having said that, a 45 with hp or fmj from Walmart, cheap, will do the job when it comes to social work very nicely.
Ive seen that video,i dont believe the bullet exit either. If i remember correctly he was about to be questioned for killing a cop a couple of days before

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 01-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #34

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Actually, he had been stopped for bad tags and through a chase he semi wrecked off the road. He got out of his car before the officer was able to get out and he shot the officer's car windshield, then walked over to the side and shot him between his vest on the side. They captured him a little ways off and delivered him over to the sheriff for transport to the jail. Strange that he passed through 4 officers and they didn't find the gun. A 1911 is a semi-large gun. And it was strange that when he shot himself there was no exit wound. He must of used HP ammo that expanded. But anyway, nothing wrong with a 45, it's slow but has knocked down power. I have one, and the only thing I don't like about it is the bullet is heavy and has a rainbow projectory. It's a close range gun only, within 50 yards. I carry as a back-up a .380, but my standard carry is a glock 17. The 9mm is a good round, but I am of the opinion that high capacity is a major factor.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #35

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The .45 is a slow roller with plenty of stopping power.that being said I've still haven't seen anyone dodge one. Only in Hollywood...

Old 01-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #36

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The 45 vs everything else has been a thread since I stared in this business in 1974. Back then, before computers and forums it was a monthly article in one of the gun mags and lots of letters to the editor. You either love it, hate it or thinks its ok but... Seriously, the argument or opinions on the 45 started around 1911 but it's nice to see it continue. Maybe someone will design a magic bullet, say 2500 FPS, super flat trajectory, tremendous down range power in 45 JHP. Assuming the bullet didn't blow apart in flight, that would be interesting.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belltactical
The 45 vs everything else has been a thread since I stared in this business in 1974. Back then, before computers and forums it was a monthly article in one of the gun mags and lots of letters to the editor. You either love it, hate it or thinks its ok but... Seriously, the argument or opinions on the 45 started around 1911 but it's nice to see it continue. Maybe someone will design a magic bullet, say 2500 FPS, super flat trajectory, tremendous down range power in 45 JHP. Assuming the bullet didn't blow apart in flight, that would be interesting.
I love my 1911 .45acp just the way that she is

Old 01-25-2012, 12:49 AM   #38

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belltactical
Well what do you think of the RBCD rounds? They have 2000+ fps which I assume would give them a flat trajectory. They are a 90gr tfsp total fragmentating soft point that is suppose to be able to go through a car for but not pass through a human torso. Suppose not pass through 4 layers of drywall.

So basically Sounds like magic to me

Its advertised as a blended medal, ultra high velocity, energy low recoil, superior stopping power, and nonricochetting.

Basically magic

I started to start a New thread asking about this round but I figured here was as good of place as any.

Now I here it does not do well in gel test or water jug test but I doubt I'll be robbed by either.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:58 AM   #39

Liked 1855 Times on 1038 Posts
Likes Given: 1231

I have shot Hornady XTP hollow points in 185 and 230 grain. I shot them into a bunch of soaking wet phone books. That works great for a poor man's bullistic test. I shot them out of my 5 inch 1911. They both expanded great and penetrated very deep. But really a 230 grain anything is going to mess up whatever it hits pretty bad. I don't really see a need for a +P in 45 ACP. But that is just my opinion.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:48 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRunner

Well what do you think of the RBCD rounds? They have 2000+ fps which I assume would give them a flat trajectory. They are a 90gr tfsp total fragmentating soft point that is suppose to be able to go through a car for but not pass through a human torso. Suppose not pass through 4 layers of drywall.

So basically Sounds like magic to me

Its advertised as a blended medal, ultra high velocity, energy low recoil, superior stopping power, and nonricochetting.

Basically magic

I started to start a New thread asking about this round but I figured here was as good of place as any.

Now I here it does not do well in gel test or water jug test but I doubt I'll be robbed by either.
I watched the modern marvels on bullets and they showed the frangible rounds being used. All they are is compressed powdered metal,and they turn into back into powder when they hit a hard surface. They said that the military has already tested them out and is using them. They are referred to as the "green bullet".