.45 ACP Ammo Advice? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > .45 ACP Ammo Advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2014, 03:19 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I have shot two boxes of PMC and had one round not want to chamber, last of the string. I chronographed 10 rounds low velocity 741fps and 761fps, not bad for a spread. They shoot pretty accurate. I will be getting dies and will be reloading soon for my M&P .45, fun shooting gun. I'm no expert on brands of ammo but PMC has worked well for me.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:01 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We have a decent size maufacturer here nameds Zero Bullets. I have used their reman 230gr. Fmj for years with excellent results. For the paat few months I've been purchasing the same from Freedom Munitions. They appear to be a Zero Bullets type plant on steroids. Normally they offer both new and reman. So far I have probably shot about 2,500 rounds through assorted 1911s with no issues. It's very reasonably priced by today's standards and more times than not you can get free or 5.00 shipping. When they have big promos it has taken up to 3 weeks for shipping. No biggie. Last week I bought 500 rounds of 100gr. .380 for my wife's new LCP. No problems. For those who don't reload it's another good source for ammunition. You can get on tyheir mailing list and get a heads up on any impending sales. That comes in handy.

Last edited by bamashooter1; 07-21-2014 at 12:39 AM.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Freedom Munitions is completely sold out pretty much. Signed up for their email list though.

Zero only sells online to distributors.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:22 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2838 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreadnought View Post
Hi guys, new here.

I'm trying to decide what .45 ACP ammo to start stocking up on.

What I'm looking for is the best .45 ACP FMJ round that meets the following characteristics:

Reliability - by it's very design, most FMJ, ammo period will do fine. If your gun won't feed 230 gr FMJ, I'd start looking for a gun problem.
Price - Variable. However, opportunistic bulk buying will very likely be the best option.
Accuracy - No one answer here. What shoots well in my Springfield might not be as good in Bubba's Kimber. All guns are different. That said, most .45 ammo will shoot pretty well. At least that's been my experience.
Clean burn - IMHO, it's irrelevant, but to each their own. I shoot cast 230 gr w/ Bullseye or Unique. Clean doesn't really come into play. All factory jacketed ammo I've used is cleaner than my cast reloads.
Availability - Variable. So much so that what I think is good locally you may not see for another year. Online? Strike while the iron is hot.

I'm wanting at least 800 FPS on a 230 grain. - Most of it settles in above that. I wouldn't let velocity keep you up at night. IMHO, consistency (and the resultant accuracy) counts more than outright speed. YMMV.

What ammos do you guys recommend or recommend I stay away from?
I'd be cautious with the steel cased russian stuff. Not saying to specifically not use it. Rather, you should test some and see if it's to your liking.
I reload my practice ammo. The only commercial ammo I purchase is for carry. It's all much more expensive than just 2 years ago.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld
TheDreadnought Likes This 
Old 07-31-2014, 06:33 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1608 Times on 1100 Posts
Likes Given: 560

I have shot a lot of freedom munnitions ammo in matches without incident. This ammo is about the same price as metal case ammo but it is brass case.
Here is their deal on 250 rounds. My brother and I shot 250 rounds of this ammo in his Kimber without any malfunctions last week.
45 Auto 230 gr. RN Reman
Box of 250
Price:$82.39
http://www.freedommunitions.com/45-Auto-230-gr-RN-p/fm45r230r-b0250.htm

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 07-31-2014, 08:34 PM   #16

Liked 1459 Times on 884 Posts
Likes Given: 338

I plink with the Tula. I don't mind dirty as I am going to clean every time I shoot anyway. They are probably more accurate than I am, and they are cheap and reliable. I have shot tens of thousands of .45 and 9mm and I can't recall having an FTF or squib round. Cheap is good if you shoot a lot and live on a budget. I am just afraid that we have probably seen the last Tula imports until Russia calms down and starts acting like responsible nation instead like thugs..

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 07-31-2014, 09:05 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1099 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreadnought View Post
Hi guys, new here.

I'm trying to decide what .45 ACP ammo to start stocking up on.

What I'm looking for is the best .45 ACP FMJ round that meets the following characteristics:

Reliability
Price
Accuracy
Clean burn
Availability

I'm wanting at least 800 FPS on a 230 grain.

What ammos do you guys recommend or recommend I stay away from?
Good, better, or best is largely a matter of opinion.

I've used Federal, Remington, and Winchester with good results. I would not rate any of them as "better" than the other.

If you clean your pistol after you shoot it, it doesn't matter if one make of ammunition is a little dirtier than the next.

As far as reliability goes, I've never had a problem with any of those three. None have ever failed to go bang in the many thousands of rounds I've shot of each of them. Whatever Wal-Mart or an online ammo distributor has in stock is what I buy.

Oddly enough, in all the rounds I've put down range through three Colt 1911's, a SIG P220, HK USP, and Glock 21 the ammunition has never been a problem for any of them.