.45 ACP Ammo Advice?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

.45 ACP Ammo Advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default .45 ACP Ammo Advice?

Hi guys, new here.

I'm trying to decide what .45 ACP ammo to start stocking up on.

What I'm looking for is the best .45 ACP FMJ round that meets the following characteristics:

Reliability
Price
Accuracy
Clean burn
Availability

I'm wanting at least 800 FPS on a 230 grain.

What ammos do you guys recommend or recommend I stay away from?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreadnought View Post
Hi guys, new here.

I'm trying to decide what .45 ACP ammo to start stocking up on.

What I'm looking for is the best .45 ACP FMJ round that meets the following characteristics:

Reliability
Price
Accuracy
Clean burn
Availability

I'm wanting at least 800 FPS on a 230 grain.

What ammos do you guys recommend or recommend I stay away from?

first of all welcome to FTF!
stop over in the Introductions Section and say hello to everyone.

second, for the most part, most of the major brands of FMJ 230 gr. ammo is about the same. most of the 230 gr. ammo is going to run about the same or close in velocity.

personally, i stay away from aluminum, or steel cased ammo since i reload. i buy factory ammo mainly just to practice with and to have a source for brass for reloading. i also now stay away from the Blazer brass cased ammo, since it has the small primer pockets.

depending on what pistol you are using, depends on whether to stick with jacketed ammo or lead bullets.

my personal recommendation is to stick with the major brands and whatever in these you can get the best deal on in your area. even the major brands of remanufactured ammo is good for practice and plinking, as the only thing they are re-using are the cases.
therewolf Likes This 
Old 07-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #3

Liked 520 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Really depends on your firearm.

My .45 eats anything, include Tulammo which is considered the dirtiest nastiest stuff you can find.

Does your handgun work well with any brand? Does it prefer brass to steel? Are you adverse to using steel-cased ammunition?

I will mention that brass is easier to store and less prone to long term exposure. Everything I have is double-sealed away from moisture so I don't worry about it. I have a bunch of Tulammo Steel but I'm slowly phasing it out for Monarch brass.

If you want something relatively low cost but not completely budget and fairly reliable, Remington UMC has done well by me.

Still, need to know more about any ammo pickiness your particular weapon might have.
People Like This 
Old 07-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, the only .45 I have right now is my grandfather's vintage 1942 1911 that he carried in the war. For obvious reasons I don't like shooting that one too often, since it's all original and has less than 1,000 rounds through it.

I'm planning on picking up a FNX 45 and some version of a 45 carbine. . . maybe a Thureon Defense GA model. General use will be fun, with potential as SHTF gear.

But I'm pretty sure either of those will take pretty much anything. So was just wondering if there were any particularly good or bad brands.

I'm staying away from aluminum/steel case ammo as my local range doesn't allow it.

Does that help at all?

Old 07-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #5

Liked 520 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Monarch Brass is probably your lowest cost option BUT I have only seen it stocked at Academy.

After that, Remington UMC is probably your next best option. Generally find it just a tad cheaper than Winchester White Box.

Another brand I really like and sometimes maybe find cheaper than Remington is Federal 230gr. Both it and Remington UMC are easy to find at most Wal-Marts.

You won't get much of a price break on 100 rd. bulk packs vs. standard 50 rd. boxes, but sometimes you can find the giant 250 rd. Remington UMC yellow boxes and the price isn't too bad.

Otherwise you might find some decent online vendors if you have the means to buy in bulk.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:31 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 810 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 2969

I have some Winchester white box.
Works great in mine.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:01 AM   #7

Liked 2615 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I reload, so I don't pay as much attention to what I buy, as to what

I do with it after it's shot once. I also like WWB, Blazer, Prvi Partizan,

Rem, Fed, CCI, S&B, and a lot of other brands. I only avoid steel or aluminum

casings, and Berdan primers, which are not reloadable.

There's no reason you can't shoot that WWII 1911. I shoot a vintage Hi-Power war trophy

from when Germany overran Belgium, and took over the FN factory. Has a Waffen Eagle and

everything- some GI had it chromed after the war. (probably in exchange for a carton or two of

Marlboros) It has been whupped like a rented mule, and keeps on blazing away.

Last edited by therewolf; 07-12-2014 at 02:08 AM.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:08 AM   #8

Liked 2179 Times on 1195 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

I reload too. I dont remember the last time I bought ammo that wasn't rimfire.

But it is better to have 1 box of ammo that your gun likes than to have a case of stuff that jams every other shot. Buy a couple boxes of some cheap stuff. Shoot all of it. If you get 100 rounds through without a problem, you found your brand. Buy that...whatever it may be.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
People Like This 
Old 07-12-2014, 02:12 AM   #9

Liked 2615 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
it is better to have 1 box of ammo that your gun likes than to have a case of stuff that jams every other shot. Buy a couple boxes of some cheap stuff. Shoot all of it. If you get 100 rounds through without a problem, you found your brand. Buy that...whatever it may be.
IME, this is very true. Maybe it's only the difference in different folk's grip,

but a lot of 1911s seem to prefer a certain brand of ammo.
Rick1967 Likes This 
Old 07-12-2014, 02:19 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

remington and pmc are the only two i will say stay away from regardless of price. remington and pmc have very very low qc standards so bad that you can actually feel the differences in charge weights on firing. pmc is so bad that a good portion of it fails to cycle the slide on my fnx45t enough to even cock the hammer... ended up shooting the rest i had out of my ruger new vaquero.

i had gotten 200 rounds of 556 and 45acp for free on gift certificates. the brass is servicable. i didnt bother shooting the 556 just pulled the bullets popped the primers tossed the powder and reloaded them with good powder and primers
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent