Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 40s&w or something bigger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default 40s&w or something bigger

I already know it's capable of defense against people. Is it good enough for black bears or cougars or do I need something bigger

Guns don't kill people, Chuck Norris does. XD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-24-2011, 07:08 AM   #2

Liked 2192 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 2130

Bigger!.....

Old 11-24-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19817 Times on 11251 Posts
Likes Given: 49935

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem870forever View Post
I already know it's capable of defense against people. Is it good enough for black bears or cougars or do I need something bigger
it would probably get the job done with a couple of well placed shots, but something bigger would be much better. i would suggest at least a 44 magnum.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #4

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

If you want a pistol capable of defending your life from a bear of cougar attack, I'd go with a magnum round revolver.

A .40 would probably be sufficient for a cat, but not a bear, unless you could unload a clip in his face before he was on you.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Personally, I'd go with the 44 magnum

Old 11-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19817 Times on 11251 Posts
Likes Given: 49935

the 44 magnum would be the least i would feel comfortable carrying anywhere there could be bears or large cats around.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #7

Liked 1116 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

Same here .44 mag

Old 11-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1997 Times on 1083 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem870forever View Post
The first handgun was a 40 I bought in AZ for that very reason. I'd still be comfortable carrying a 40 in that situation. However, I'd feel more comfortable carrying a 45, 357 or larger magnum round.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 11-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
dmp

Liked 17 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Right - with the 40, you'd probably want to unload the *uhem* 'magazine on a bear. The thing is, there are no guarantees. If, under duress, you can faithfully put rounds through about a 4" circle of a moving target, even 9mm would stop a bear with the right load.

BIG gun - BIG bullet - BIG damage. whilst ****ting a brick, I think i'd want a big bullet with the best chance of doing enough damage to convince a bear I'm not worth his/her trouble.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:43 AM   #10

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Bigger IS better

The Maasai (I believe) people of Eastern Africa have a right of passage into manhood of killing a lion. The approved technique is to arm one's self with a short throwing spear and finding a lion. When the lion attacks and jumps, the candidate throws the spear at the lion, aiming for one of two good sized 'soft spots' on either side of the lion equivalent of the sternum. If the throw is made properly, the spear injures the heart and kills the lion within a relatively short period of time. However, the candidate must perform the exercise exactly right.

In the same sense, a .40 S&W hollow point (or FMJ for penetration) round will kill a large, carnivorous, predatory bear. The candidate must perform the exercise exactly right. In either case, I'd prefer a Gatling gun in .45-70.

That always isn't an option, I'd still recommend something larger than a .40 S&W. I have no grudge against the round; I carry such a pistol for personal defense on a regular basis. But it's a bit light for large dangerous game. The smallest handgun I would suggest is a .44 Magnum, and even then the bear might fight you to a draw.

Were I going to be in 'bear country', I would take a short barreled 12 gauge shotgun loaded with slugs. It's not as convenient as a holstered handgun, but neither is being mauled or eaten.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/