Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   40s&w or something bigger (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/40s-w-something-bigger-52337/)

rem870forever 11-24-2011 06:56 AM

40s&w or something bigger

I already know it's capable of defense against people. Is it good enough for black bears or cougars or do I need something bigger

rjd3282 11-24-2011 07:08 AM

Bigger!.....:D

Axxe55 11-24-2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rem870forever (Post 634748)
I already know it's capable of defense against people. Is it good enough for black bears or cougars or do I need something bigger

it would probably get the job done with a couple of well placed shots, but something bigger would be much better. i would suggest at least a 44 magnum.

cswann1 11-24-2011 10:23 AM

If you want a pistol capable of defending your life from a bear of cougar attack, I'd go with a magnum round revolver.

A .40 would probably be sufficient for a cat, but not a bear, unless you could unload a clip in his face before he was on you.

44ablast 11-24-2011 10:49 AM

Personally, I'd go with the 44 magnum :)

Axxe55 11-24-2011 11:12 AM

the 44 magnum would be the least i would feel comfortable carrying anywhere there could be bears or large cats around. :eek:

purehavoc 11-24-2011 12:49 PM

Same here .44 mag

ScottA 11-24-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rem870forever (Post 634748)

The first handgun was a 40 I bought in AZ for that very reason. I'd still be comfortable carrying a 40 in that situation. However, I'd feel more comfortable carrying a 45, 357 or larger magnum round.

dmp 11-24-2011 02:12 PM

Right - with the 40, you'd probably want to unload the *uhem* 'magazine on a bear. The thing is, there are no guarantees. If, under duress, you can faithfully put rounds through about a 4" circle of a moving target, even 9mm would stop a bear with the right load.

BIG gun - BIG bullet - BIG damage. whilst ****ting a brick, I think i'd want a big bullet with the best chance of doing enough damage to convince a bear I'm not worth his/her trouble.

OldManMontgomery 11-25-2011 03:43 AM

Bigger IS better

The Maasai (I believe) people of Eastern Africa have a right of passage into manhood of killing a lion. The approved technique is to arm one's self with a short throwing spear and finding a lion. When the lion attacks and jumps, the candidate throws the spear at the lion, aiming for one of two good sized 'soft spots' on either side of the lion equivalent of the sternum. If the throw is made properly, the spear injures the heart and kills the lion within a relatively short period of time. However, the candidate must perform the exercise exactly right.

In the same sense, a .40 S&W hollow point (or FMJ for penetration) round will kill a large, carnivorous, predatory bear. The candidate must perform the exercise exactly right. In either case, I'd prefer a Gatling gun in .45-70.

That always isn't an option, I'd still recommend something larger than a .40 S&W. I have no grudge against the round; I carry such a pistol for personal defense on a regular basis. But it's a bit light for large dangerous game. The smallest handgun I would suggest is a .44 Magnum, and even then the bear might fight you to a draw.

Were I going to be in 'bear country', I would take a short barreled 12 gauge shotgun loaded with slugs. It's not as convenient as a holstered handgun, but neither is being mauled or eaten.