400 bucks - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 400 bucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 10:05 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm with Lady M on this one on the .22s. Look for a Browning Buck Mark or Ruger 22/45, Mark II, or Mark III and you will still have money left for a bunch of bullets. With the $8.00 background check and the taxes it leaves only around $375.00, not quite enough to buy a quality firearm in today's market. With the scarcity of ammo and primers I'm shooting my Mark II more than ever and loving every minute of it.

If you want cheap thrills and big bangs, buy some firecrackers.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:12 AM   #12

Ruger P90 or P345 for about $400 will be a great self defense weapon. Any of the Ruger pistols are great buys for the money, IMHO. I assume you want a pistol to defend your self, and not a plinker.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:30 AM   #13

I just bought a used Ruger P95DC (9mm) and I'll have to say that while it is on the wide side, it shoots very well.... or so I think. I bought it used, in very good condition, with a cheapie holster, a box and half of ammo and with 3 mags in all. $280 from an individual and no tax!

I'm looking for another pistol now. Possibly a .40 or .45. Been looking at the lesser expensive end like you. The comments vary from good to crap for the brands I'm looking at. I guess as you become more of a "expert" you see what others say to be true and move up. The guy I bought mine from is getting a Sig .357 pistol to replace the one that I bought from him.... at 3 times the price. But it is soooo nice!

Good luck on buying a pistol. Either find a good deal (compare online at the banner) or go to a store or range that sales them and try them out. They rent the 9mm Glocks for $7 at my local range.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #14

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Decent handguns under $400

Ruger P95 ($325 S&H included)

S&W SW9VE Sigma ($345 S&H included)

S&W SW40VE Sigma ($345 S&H included)(if do you like or don't mind the OD green frame, is priced even cheaper.... just $316)

Taurus 24/7 Pro, Taurus Millenium Pro, and Taurus snubby revolvers are good choices too....

Bersa firearms (Tunder 380, and full size Thunder series) are good chices under $400.

In Venezuela Tanfoglio are good choices (In USA they are marketed as EAA Witness I think).

Since Rossi was bought by Taurus they are improving their quality control on their revolvers.
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 04-16-2009, 07:02 PM   #15

Easy. An SR9. Great gun for the money and loses nothing to more expensive striker fired guns.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:53 AM   #16
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbikingdad View Post
I just bought a used Ruger P95DC (9mm) and I'll have to say that while it is on the wide side, it shoots very well.... or so I think. I bought it used, in very good condition, with a cheapie holster, a box and half of ammo and with 3 mags in all. $280 from an individual and no tax!

I'm looking for another pistol now. Possibly a .40 or .45. Been looking at the lesser expensive end like you. The comments vary from good to crap for the brands I'm looking at. I guess as you become more of a "expert" you see what others say to be true and move up. The guy I bought mine from is getting a Sig .357 pistol to replace the one that I bought from him.... at 3 times the price. But it is soooo nice!

Good luck on buying a pistol. Either find a good deal (compare online at the banner) or go to a store or range that sales them and try them out. They rent the 9mm Glocks for $7 at my local range.
If you like your P95DC look for a P94, I have one in 40 cal and if I remember they also made it in 45 cal. I think I paid about $350 for my P94DC with the safety option & 2 mags. I own three of the Ruger P series and truly enjoy shooting them.

Here are my Ruger P95 9mm, P93 9mm with night sights and P94 40 S&W (top to bottom)
ruger-p-series.jpg  

Last edited by WDB; 04-17-2009 at 02:01 AM.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #17

Nice collection WDB. My wife tried a Taurus (don't recall which one) the other day and found that she likes the P95 better. It just feels better. I feel I got the 95 cheap enough that I'll always keep it around, but I am leaning towards 40's as a "standard", but I do not have one yet. I do not want to have fifteen different sizes of pistol ammo to keep track of. Anybody else feel the same way?

I honestly do not have that much experience, but I find I like the exposed hammers (single action ready - I guess) like my P95 and a 1911.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:29 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I've had the p series ruger and a couple of taurus as well. Ruger FTW!!!

Old 04-21-2009, 02:01 AM   #19
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbikingdad View Post
Nice collection WDB. My wife tried a Taurus (don't recall which one) the other day and found that she likes the P95 better. It just feels better. I feel I got the 95 cheap enough that I'll always keep it around, but I am leaning towards 40's as a "standard", but I do not have one yet. I do not want to have fifteen different sizes of pistol ammo to keep track of. Anybody else feel the same way?

I honestly do not have that much experience, but I find I like the exposed hammers (single action ready - I guess) like my P95 and a 1911.
Thanks, the Ruger P series are fun to shoot and a quality pistol so if you like them look for one in 40 or 45, the price will be about the same and the feel will be the same. I truly enjoy them but I carry a S&W M&P 45 most of the time. As for your ammo question, I think most of us start out with that in mind and latter find that we own several different calibers for different uses. The other reason you already expereinced it's hard to part with a pistol you enjoy so you keep it and buy something different.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:44 AM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default 400

Get a few more paychecks under your belt, and get whatever you want.