400 bucks
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 400 bucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 01:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 400 bucks

If you had 400 bucks and needed to buy a hand gun what would you buy??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-03-2009, 01:43 AM   #2

I understand the budget constraints of our current world, but $400 leaves few options. I personally believe you need to handle the weapons and if possible fire them before making any decisions.

The next factor is what is your primary purpose for the weapon?

Home defense, a ccw weapon?

After that, then you can start to see what options are out there.

Taurus Mill Pros are decent weapons and you can get all the popular calibers in that price range, at least in my part of the country. Also their 38 revolvers are in that range.

Smith and Wesson sigmas and Ruger SR9.

You may be able to find a Kahr cw series near that range.
Basically you have to find the weapon that is comfortable for you both in price and ability to shoot.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:44 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I would look for a good used S&W wheelgun. A .357 with a 4" barrell would be a good compromise for a home defense/range gun.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:49 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

DH, 4/3/09

Good and bad news about a $400 max for your pistol. For a new gun you may not get the quality you'd like for that amount. The good news is that there are a number of high quality used guns available for that amount. Many used guns are bought by the original owner and left in a holster or safe and shot very little. One good source for quality used guns is Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri.. He has a number of pistols for less than $400 including some Glock 22's. Don't forget the SW 3rd generation pistols which have a good reputation for reliability and durability (the 5906, 5903, 6906 models often turn up at Summit). If you come up with a specific model you're interested in don't forget Gunbroker and Auctionarms. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

Old 04-03-2009, 04:24 AM   #5

Second on the s&w sigma and the ruger semi autos if you want to purchase new. A taurus semi auto is another option, I have read mixed opinions on them. I have a friend who trusts one of their compact .45s for carry, although I have read about spotty quality and c/s. Others will tell you they are among the best.

If you can save a couple hundred more then your options really open up. If not then you will have to go used to have alot of options.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:11 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHarry View Post
If you had 400 bucks and needed to buy a hand gun what would you buy??
........a .22 pistol and learn to shoot. Then when you save up some money --and have tried many firearms--buy what YOU like !

Old 04-03-2009, 07:10 AM   #7
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry Dirty,
Just not enough information to help you out. Let us know what the pursose of the pistol, your experience with handguns. With that info you will get far more advice.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Go into your local gun store, ask them to point out all the handguns under $400, play "eni meeni mini mo", or just pick the shinny one. Thats about all the advise I can offer given your criteria.

What exactly do you want it for? Home defense? Personal protection? Plinking? Getting jumped into a gang soon? Fed up with the economy and thinking about robbing a bank?

Help us help you.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #9

Likes Given: 1

A Stoeger Couger 9mm or 40 s&w sells for $399 in my area. I have a Couger .45 made by beretta and enjoy it

Old 04-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #10

Bersa 9mm is under your total.
You might even be able to get a box of ammo with it at that price. Check out the reviews. I love mine. they come in 13 round cc and 17 round large.